1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Yash Chopra in conversation with Uday Chopra - Darr

Discussion in 'Darr' started by Rayhana, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Rayhana

Rayhana Well-Known Member

I know this doesn't actually show Shahrukh even though you hear him talking at one point, nevertheless it's an interesting chat I thought people may want to see.

MaryAnnK, rubyroo and starstar thank this.
  2. starstar

starstar People are not perfect (except when they smile)

Thanks for sharing Rayhana :)

Darr will always be special to me, because this is the very first film I saw of Shahrukh, as a little girl.
    I couldn't understand what was being said, as a non-Hindi speaker.
    But the character played by Shahrukh left a big impression on the 7 year old girl that I was then. I could feel the fear.

Darr was maybe the first movie that showed me that, in art in general,
    there is no language barrier.
    Even if, back then, I was too young to understand this.

I admire Shahrukh's courage and the boldness he had, at that time, to accept the role of Rahul in Darr.
    He was in the initial stage of his career, and yet, he wasn't afraid of taking up a negative role.
    Not to forget that he already played the anti-hero in two of his previous film, Anjaam and Baazigar.

Eventhough my knowledge of Hindi is quite limited even today, I think Yash ji's speech led me to understand
    that the role of Rahul was offered to Aamir first. This comes as a surprise to me. I can understand the doubts he could have had
    about accepting this negative role, given that, in the initial days of his film career, he was seen as the boy next-door, the cute lover boy.

I'm so glad that Shahrukh ended up portraying Rahul. Today,I obviously can't see anybody else but him in this role.
    As the one who watches him on-screen, you can't help but feel sorry for him,
    eventhough you know he's supposed to be the villain at the same time.

To think that Darr is the first step in what would go on to become a beautiful on-screen collaboration between Shahrukh and Yash ji
    as well as the first stone in the beautiful relationship that both of them would share until the demise of Yash ji...
    I can't help but feel a little emotional. May Yash ji soul rest in peace. He's being missed.

Thanks again for sharing, Rayhana

Rayhana, MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  3. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Your mother let you watch that??? Oh my goodness!

Rayhana says thanks.
  4. starstar

Actually, both my parents and I watched Darr together.
    It was something we used to do together when I was a child: watching Tamil movies.

But Darr was the first Hindi movie we watched at home.
    My uncle had lent the video cassette to my parents for them to watch it.
    My parents were as clueless as I could be, they had no idea what the story of this movie was.

So, as usual, they thought I could watch the movie with them, as it was something we used to do, with every other Tamil movie we had watched together till then.
    And honestly speaking, having been used to fight scenes and blood scenes in Tamil movies since the age of four,
    it wasn't shocking for me to watch the violence of Darr. Schoking truth, isn't it? :D

For years, my parents and I thought of Shahrukh as the "guy who ultimetly dies in that movie called Darr".
    That was all he was to us, because we didn't even know his name.
    And as I was growing up, I never really forgot this movie and I kept the name Darr in mind.
    That's how much this movie, and mainly the character played by Shahrukh affected me as a child.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  5. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

...and so "that guy" is not a huge part of our lives!!! I liked hearing Shah Rukh talk about Darr as being one of his most life-changing films because it allowed him to see what he could do as an actor! Boy, what he can do as an actor!!!!!!!!!!

starstar says thanks.
  6. starstar

Exactly! Darr is only one of his earlier films, where he showed us how talented he is as an actor. This was just the beginning.
    Look at how far he has come since, in his journey as an actor. Isn't it simply amazing?
    Sharukh has every reason to be proud of his journey in the Hindi cinema.

MaryAnnK says thanks.