1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow....just wow.

Discussion in 'Fan Member Reviews' started by srkjuhi, Apr 19, 2016.

1. srkjuhi

srkjuhi Well-Known Member

Spoilers ahead , folks! (Watched it on Sunday and wrote this on the same day)

Where do I start from. It's one of those movies where you just go speechless after watching it because it's that freaking good. I can't remember the last time I bawled my eyes out the way I did during those last ten minutes of FAN. Some might find this an exaggeration but for me it's one of the best movies ever made. I noticed a certain trade analyst saying it won't be a landmark movie and I'll just like to say I disagree to say the least. It'll be a landmark movie not just in Shahrukh's career but also in the history of Indian cinema.

I still can't put across what I feel after watching it but I'll try my best. Shahrukh is effing phenomenal. I'll start with his role as Aryan Khanna. I thought he nailed it. It's such a tough role to pull off considering he's a superstar who's playing a superstar and sometimes that can become a bit caricaturist but one of the best things about the movie is that that never happened. After coming across some of the reviews , I thought I won't like the character but honestly , I got where he was coming from too. Do I agree with everything the character did? Hell no! But the way Shahrukh has played him makes you understand his intention as well and I think that's a huge feat considering he can come off easily as extremely unlikable. And perhaps he does at many points but you get his perspective as well , you understand his intention.

Coming to Gaurav...sigh. I loved him. The way Shahrukh played him...damn! Yes , he is creepy at times , yes you go WTH are you doing man at times but underneath it all you see how pure his heart is. How all he wanted was to meet his idol. He does a lot of things that are so out of line yet you effing feel for him at every point in the movie. He's one of those characters that will go down in history. There are quite a few characters of Shahrukh that are etched in people's memories and will remain there forever , Gaurav would be now added to that list.

I'll also like to mention a few scenes that I'm still thinking about. The one where he's beaten up by the cops and the one right after the confrontation where he bawls his eyes out...you want to just effing go upto him and give him a hug. That scene was very tough to watch as a viewer though and I mean that in the best way possible. As in the way Shahrukh played it , the way he expressed his emotions there...yeah...it freaking gets to you man. There's another scene where he comes back to Delhi , obviously heartbroken , and he's interacting with his parents while trying to put on a brave face. Again that effing got to me. Shahrukh's expressions there...wow. He just said so much while doing so little. And of course the ending ...I'm still not over it. Not to sound melodramatic but tears were rolling down my cheeks as Gaurav's pictures appeared one after the other. The ending is tragic but it leaves such an impact that you'll be thinking about it way after the movie is over.

Had read a bit about people loving the first half but not caring for the second half. Let me just say I couldn't disagree more. I freaking loved the whole movie. It's one of the best movies I have ever seen. This notion that the second half ain't realistic, well of course it's not but it's a movie! It ain't a documentary. I didn't need to require some great effort to believe what was happening in the second half as it's so freaking engrossing. One of the great things about the second half is that you go along with the storyline despite it not being as grounded in reality. I personally never found myself questioning but how can he get away with that because you are so engaged in what's happening. A huge credit for that goes to Shahrukh. You can't take your eyes off either Aryan or Gaurav when they are on screen.

The chase sequences were awesome! I was so involved in it that I was literally reacting to every thing that was happening in both the chase sequences.

I can't wait to watch this movie again. It's one that I can watch over and over again. Yes , it's intense but it's effing engaging. Shahrukh is beyond brilliant in it! He deserves all the praise that he is getting for it and more! Give him all the awards already!

Thank you Manish for coming up with this idea. Thank you for executing it so beautifully. I'll also like to mention that the supporting cast was darn good too man.

Thank you Shahrukh for being the actor you are! I have been a FAN since I was a little kid. I stated this yesterday that he is one of the finest actors out there in the world yet one of the most underrated. Here is a guy who's freaking as effortless as Rahul in Darr as he's as Raj in DDLJ as he's as Kabir in Chak De as he's as Mohan in Swades. He's so freaking versatile. His on screen presence is such that you can't effing take your eyes off him when he's on screen. This movie will go down as one of my all time favorite movies of his. And Gaurav...I love you.

Will hopefully get to see it sometime again this upcoming week! :D

Journey95, Baree, tasifa and 7 others thanked this.
  2. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

Wow, you echoed my exact thoughts about the film, particularly this paragraph. SRK saying so much while doing so little was a highlight of his performance. Really did feel for Gaurav when he was getting beaten up or dragged to the wall by Aryan or when he's putting on a brave face.

srkjuhi, rollercoast and Alenka thank this.
  3. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

@srkjuhi , i effin agree with u 100% man :biggrin1: :hug: haha loved ur enthusiasm. and so on point! truly i can relate to everthing u've mentioned!

srkjuhi and rollercoast thank this.
  4. Rishima62

Rishima62 Defying Gravity

I agree with you completely! Thank you for your review

srkjuhi says thanks.
  5. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you here. That movie is so special on so many level. And Shahrukh just proved what we've always known: that nobody can touch him when it comes to talent. Jaya Bachchan said in KWK and I've read other people saying the same thing, that he is God's chosen one. So thank God for him! :heart:

rollercoast, srkjuhi and Rishima62 thank this.
  6. srkjuhi

I'm so glad to see so many out there loving it. And then there are folks who keep harping about how it's not doing well at the BO. I'll be honest , of course as a fan you want it do darn well at the BO. But even if it ends up being a failure , it'll be one that many of his fans are extremely proud of. It'll be more special than quite a few of his blockbusters because like I stated his performance in it will go down in history as being one of his best. It's a movie that is path-breaking and hopefully will end up becoming a cult hit years down the line.

I'm going for it again during the weekend. I'm sure I'll end up adding something to what I wrote here when I watch it again. Some scene or the other keeps coming back to me even though it has been a few days since I watched it. There are very few movies out there that stay with you long after they are done and this is one of them.

Alenka, tasifa and rollercoast thank this.
  7. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

i doubt it'd do badly at the box office. if nothing else at least because of all the hype it's getting. and it's not commercial cinema anyway. it's not the genre to appeal to masses. so u can't compare it to the case of Dilwale (which was not a flop as many tend to suggest in their articles, it still mantained semnificant collections although it was expected to do better precisely because it was commercial cinema, and we all know just how it got sabotaged and how so many ppl could not even go see it).
    don't know why but if it proves to not be a hit (which again, i doubt) i'll compare it to Dil Se. we all know how underrated that is!!! and ahead of its time. tell me which other hindi movie compared to Fan? in terms of everything! the cinematic experience is one of a kind in Bollywood, i don't think it's ever been done before. so all the things haters speculate are pure rubbish and i wouldn't even bother reading what nonsense they have to say

Rishima62 says thanks.
  8. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Only trouble for me is that the media will have a field day if it doesn't do brilliantly well at the box office. They don't respect the subtleties of different genres, they just want spectacular headlines - either its a blockbuster or its a flop. They fishing crive me to distraction. They generally do not deserve the title of journalists but they help drive public opinion.

That said, the reviews have been good and fair, for which I am extremely thankful.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  9. srkjuhi

Dil Se is one of my all time favorite movies and performances of Shahrukh. The thing is some folks just don't get that the BO of a movie like this can't be compared to a a BO of CE or Dilwale. FAN is a niche film. At this point , the BO verdict in India ain't looking that great but I'm waiting to see what the final WW verdict would be. Not every film can be measured by the same yardstick. Of course as a fan you want every movie of his to do darn well at the BO but at the same time one has to also acknowledge that the BO ain't always reflective of the quality of the movie. FAN is an amazing film. Shahrukh has given one of his best performances in it and nobody can take that away from him. Even if it ends up not doing well the BO , it will still go down in history being remembered for not only his performance but also for the movie it is , something on the lines of Swades actually :)

Dea and tasifa thank this.
  10. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

i liked it more than Swades actually. u can't really compare the two, i mean they are different genres in the end, but just for the overall feel of it Fan is higher on my list :heart:

11. srkjuhi

No...I wasn't meaning to compare in terms of genre and content. Swades didn't work at the BO but if you look at the history of cinema years from now , it shall be remembered for being one of Shahrukh's finest performances and also one of the most moving films out there. That's what I meant by the comparison.

12. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

ye i know, i meant to say generally speaking :)

13. Manick

Manick New Member

Fan...... Brave film by a superstar............ No songs, No heroine and No masala stuff............. Very few stars would accept the vision of director and producer and not interfering their ideas / story telling. Honestly, BO numbers....I don't give a shit.......... Fabulous movie with great act by SRK which matters the MOSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT..... Media are shit heads to make rubbish headlines and spread false news...............

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  14. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Just watched it again & I love this movie. SRK as Gaurav is just mindblowing, if he doesn't get some award for it I'll be disappointed. The prosthetics and VFX really helped too, props to the team.

He is also really good as Aryan Khanna (never seemed like SRK at all), if a bit too unlikable. I was on Gaurav's side for most of the movie, dude just wanted 5 minutes & to hear a sorry. Yeah he clearly went too far later on but I still felt for him.

I think the movie becomes a bit too over the top in some parts of the second half, the chase & action sequences were too long and not really needed. Also some people not realizing that Gaurav isn't Aryan seemed strange (especially the girl he danced with).

8.5/10, his best movie since MNIK. Hopefully it becomes at least a cult classic like Swades (which also flopped).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016
    Alenka says thanks.