1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Wish I'd changed end of 'Kal Ho Naa Ho': Karan Johar

Discussion in 'Kal Ho Na Ho' started by semsem008, Sep 18, 2013.

1. semsem008

semsem008 Well-Known Member

Wish I'd changed end of 'Kal Ho Naa Ho': Karan Johar

Written by Diksha Singh on September 16, 2013

New Delhi, Sep 16: Filmmaker Karan Johar's "Kal Ho Naa Ho" left many teary-eyed, thanks to the sad conclusion of the 2003 film. Now when he watches superstar Shah Rukh Khan dying on the hospital bed, Karan wishes the film ended in a different way.

The 41-year-old, who made his directorial debut with "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" in 1998, admits that he made mistakes and conclusion of "Kal.." was one of them.

"Every film is a new mistake. When I see 'Kuch..', now I feel what a ridiculous story, when I see 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham', I think it is 35 minutes too long, 'Kal..', I wish I had changed the end..., 'Student of the Year', I wish it had more of emotional intensity. So, every film is a new mistake," Karan told reporters post press show of "The Lunchbox" here.

The son of late producer Yash Johar said that his father had a major role in changing the conclusion of "Kal Ho Naa Ho" that also stars Saif Ali Khan and Preity Zinta.

"It was my father's decision to show him (Shah Rukh) lying on the hospital bed. I was ending it far more differently, but he said 'Agar bada star ho toh usko marte huye dekhna chahiye, audience ko rona hai', (if it's a big star, we should show him dying as the audience wants to cry)," said Karan, who will direct another film next year.

http://www.realbollywood.com/2013/09/changed-kal-ho-naa-ho-karan-johar.html

MaryAnnK, Krisi_love_SRK and Mara thank this.
  2. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

... and the audience (ie: me) loved crying!!! :madgrin: I still weep bucket-loads every time I see it. :Cry: :becky:

MaryAnnK, Mara, Xeny and 1 other person say thanks.
  3. semsem008

^ yeah :lol: me too, till now.. i wouldnt like it to be changed at all :p

Mara says thanks.
  4. ShahRukh's Jungli Billi

ShahRukh's Jungli Billi Shahrukh's JungliBilli

i love kal ho na ho. i cry everytime. course they say you yourself are you own worse critic.. like when i write, i see things differently after i post it. i'm like dang it. so i know how he feels but KHNH should not be changed.. love it the way it is.

Mara and semsem008 thank this.
  5. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

If I had KJ's magic wand to go back in time, I would change the end of MNIK - about the last 40 minutes! :rolleyes:

yummy, Rayhana and mira_khan thank this.
  6. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

no no Karan.... we love crying, you daddy was right... i don't watch this movie a lot because seeing Shah Rukh like that makes me feel sad for days, nothing work to arase that horrible impression...

semsem008 says thanks.
  7. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

cut them at all... lol

I have imagined an other end for KHNH while watching it, she fall in love with Saif Ali and at the moment where she accepts all that, he has accident or something like that and his heart will save Aman... then she'll have the two of them ! (i know i'm cruel with that cute Rohit lol)

Mara says thanks.
  8. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

:nod:

mira_khan says thanks.
  9. Rayhana

Rayhana Well-Known Member

But wasn't that down to the director?

10. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

:hail:Yes! I love your new ending. Time for a remake. Karan would only have to re-shoot the ending. Saif Ali and Pretty aren't busy, and she needs the work. :high5:

mira_khan says thanks.
  11. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

thank you :p... it would be sooo wondeful end, the drama still here and the movie haven't to break my heart every time i just think of it!

Mara says thanks.
  12. anesya

anesya Guest

after all these years I´m still not over the ending even though I was really young...
    but on the other hand the movies were perfect though. caused many tears and emotions
    as it should..

however.
    yep we do want a re-make for sure.

13. semsem008

what did you mean Rayhana?

14. Rayhana

I mean a change like that is normally made by the director right? not the producer....or am I wrong?

mira_khan says thanks.
  15. semsem008

right, karan and his father was the producers not the directors!!! but the director was karan assistant director.. karan always treated as if he is the director of the movie
    i dont know why

16. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

Rayhana... for having watched KKKG making off... you're talking about Karan Johar... every one view is important for him, Shah Rukh's, Aditya's, his friends ... here we talk about his father whose view was the most important... besides, this man was right, making Shah Rukh die on screan give the story the deepness needed to catch intention of public... personally, to the last last scene, i was sure he will not die, or at least we will have it in the movie... you know, it could be just she telly the end to her little sister and stop at the mariage scene...

17. Rayhana

hmm that's true! He always talks as though he directed it whereas he only produced. Though he has produced many other's it's only Kal ho na ho he talks of in that way and I think many other's also forget that he only produced and did not direct because of the way he talks about it.

semsem008 says thanks.
  18. Rayhana

But he is talking about Kal ho na ho which he didn't direct but only produced so I don't think it is for him to decide whether or not to change the ending. I don't think he'd appreciate it if another said the same about one of his movie's

mira_khan says thanks.
  19. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

yes but he writes the story, it was his idea and his script, he just paid someone else to be behind the camera and prepare shootings... it was all his vision in the film

20. semsem008

i didnt know that karan was the writer, i forgot who was the writer