1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Shah Rukh Khan should take Dilwale as a wakeup call

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by roger, Dec 28, 2015.

1. roger

roger Well-Known Member

Why Shah Rukh Khan should take Dilwale as a wakeup call

Dec 28, 2015 - 12:06 IST

[​IMG]

It was shocking news when it was disclosed that Bajirao Mastani has collected more money at the India box office than Dilwale on Monday, the fourth day after the release. Everyone was feeling that Dilwale will be doing much more business than Bajirao Mastani because it looks like a festival entertainer. The tide completely turned when Bajirao Mastani took a big lead over Dilwale on Christmas holiday in India and the lead was consolidated on Saturday as well as Sunday. It is very clear now that Bajirao Mastani's box office collections in India will be more than Dilwale. So where is it that Shah Rukh Khan has made a mistake? Let us try to analyze.

The reviews of Dilwale are very mixed. Both the critics and the audience are having a mixed opinion. Most of the people are feeling that it is entertaining but it is not very entertaining. The trade sources in Bollywood feel that Shah Rukh should have worked on a better product before clashing with Bajirao Mastani which had announced the release date long ago. The Red Chillies team must have thought that Eros will back out and they may get a solo release but Eros had a lot of belief in their film even though it wasn't supported by as big a star cast as Dilwale. The belief of Eros has worked in their favour. Dilwale has been affected to some extent by the protests by political parties but the fact is that the mixed public opinion is harming it more. Let us accept it, the word of Bajirao Mastani is much more positive than Dilwale and nothing can beat public opinion.

People from within Bollywood are saying that Shah Rukh Khan needs to reinvent himself now. He has been doing the same sort of films and is taking less risks. Happy New Year and Dilwale are only trying to take advantage of SRK's stardom and they are not doing anything new. While Aamir Khan always comes up with new concepts, even Salman Khan surprised everyone with Bajrangi Bhaijaan this year. Senior Trade pundits feel that it would be wise if SRK's Raees shouldn't clash with Salman Khan's Sultan on Eid. The business will get divided again and if SRK loses that battle it will hurt his reputation badly.

Shah Rukh Khan is having nice looking projects like Fan and Raees. They shall help him express differently but they don't look like big money making ventures. He is a big star with great fan following but he has yet not come close to entering Rs 300 crore club. It is time for SRK to think about his future plans and how he shall have his strategy for getting better films that also earn big money at the box office.

Also a note of caution to media houses who just on the basis of weekend number proclaimed SRK as the winner. As it has been said - Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost - the days after the weekend show true reality. That is why we did not jump to conclusion so early. Because no one understands Bollywood and box office numbers the way Bollywood Hungama does.

As SRK rightly said - Kismat Badi Kutti Cheez Hai...Saali Kabhi Bhi Palat Jaati Hai. This time the luck was not on his side, hope next year it would be on his side. Last year it was a Happy New Year for him, this year isn't!

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/features/type/view/id/9481

Dea and Mara thank this.
  2. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

haters gonna hate

rollercoast, tasifa and Mara thank this.
  3. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

it had mixed reviews but because of the collection hit it had from the domestic market its given some fruitful work for journalists the domestic box office collections of dilwale will give a lot of journalists good overtime and they never mention the truth

rollercoast says thanks.
  4. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

5. srkjuhi

srkjuhi Well-Known Member

These articles are on the same predictable lines man. Reminds me of what these folks said about him after Ra.One. Someone should tell these people Dilwale wasn't just affected by the protest to some degree , it was affected a whole lot considering the movie didn't get a full release in as many as four states during the first weekend which is very crucial. Someone should also tell them about how much negativity was spread out there on social media platforms before it released and after as well. Considering all this and the fact that it was releasing on the same date as another movie , it has done darn well. These people need to do their homework before they go on writing just about anything. Dilwale didn't release in as many screens as a CE or HNY , BM had twice as many screens as Dilwale during the second weekend.

As for Shahrukh reinventing himself...ha! He's one of the few actors tries to mix it up as much as he can. If he has done a CE , HNY and Dilwale back to back then he also has a Fan and Raees coming next year. Not every movie will cross the 300 cr benchmark. The profit is not based on whether a movie crosses the mark or not. It's based on what the budget is and how much it has earned keeping that in mind.

Dea, KKhan, Mara and 5 others thanked this.
  6. tasifa

All this negativity is really affecting me. I've never felt that in my life. That kind of deliberate hatred
    and twisting facts is really really disturbing. And toward one single man. I am not reading anything that
    has collection stat anymore because it always include some snide remark about Shahrukh. It is unfortunate
    that negative people are heard louder than positive one.

Dea, Mara, Alenka and 1 other person say thanks.
  7. srkjuhi

^People have stooped to all kinds of lows. They have made fake accounts of trade analysts out there, they have created fake websites to spread this propaganda that Dilwale is not working and a lot of this crap has been going on since day one of its release. Has it done the kind of business it was expected to do in India? Nope! But how can you brush aside all the factors that have resulted in the loss of revenue for it. It's breaking records overseas! Has done the highest business by any bollywood movie in some countries yet that has been given minimal attention.

Dea, phul and Alenka thank this.
  8. YoupiHoupla

YoupiHoupla New Member

Hello everyone ! New member here ! I'm from Morocco, but I live in France ;) SRK is my favorite actor ever, I love him since my childhood !
    I just wanted to tell you all , please don't worry about all this negativity. It did affect me a bit too, because as "srkjuhi" said, it seems like there is some propaganda against SRK lately. However, his status remains undisputed. He is already a legend in India and overseas, he has nothing to prove anymore. If one of his movie don't do as expected, it's not the end for him. Maybe some other movies from other actors do better at the box office, but Shahrukhan's overall impact is just too strong. It's easy for some people to choose him as a target because they know they will get attention. But that only provse his success in the industry, because even with this slander-campaign, the Baadshah is still breaking records, and mots importantly making his fans smile all over the world !
    Have a nice day everyone !

srkjuhi, Mara, Dea and 3 others thanked this.
  9. tasifa

Welcome to the planet! Thanks for those kind words. I am very affected by how Shahrukh is treated right now, and of course he still rules over India and his fans, but still....

Mara, phul and YoupiHoupla thank this.
  10. YoupiHoupla

YoupiHoupla New Member

Thank you for welcoming me ! :D
    It's indeed revolting to see so much hate towards Shahrukh. He doesn't deserve this, he is a great human being and a talented actor. Hopefully this smear campaign will end soon. Until then I'll keep ignoring it (even if it is not always easy !).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Mara and phul thank this.
  11. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

i think he's seen worse times really. i really think it doesn't affect him as much as it did back in the day. every year almost there's some kind of hatred thrown his way. i remember back when Hrithik made his debut and everybody was saying how he was going to detrone Shahrukh and all magazines would write that Shahrukh was "finished" etc. i remember him saying once how that had affected him. there's always something. when ppl started throwing shade when he did Ra.One i think it really hit him hard. because he really believed in that movie and it meant a whole lot not only for RCE but for himself personally. when ppl started bashing it, it was devastating. i think he's been through so much that he has now really learnt how to take everything as it comes. i think it's really fortunate that RCE produced Dilwale. had it been another production house losing all that money because ppl miscontrued his words and made such a huge issue out of it, i think Shahrukh would have been devastated. as it is though, i think the fact that they did so well DESPITE all these ridiculous hateful actions

srkjuhi, Alenka, Mara and 2 others thanked this.
  12. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

I'm feeling the same Lise. It's terrible watching someone you love go through all this and you can do nothing to help.

Yes, He has gone through tough situations before, but the powers behind this seem so big somehow.It's feeding on such vast ignorance, people's willingness to succumb to hatred, and dare I say it, intolerance - terrible human qualities which are so far removed from what srk stands for that it's almost ironic.

I'm really glad you brought up this topic because it's totally getting me down. It felt too childish to say "It's unfair!" - but it damn well is. Why do some people hate him so much?

Mara, YoupiHoupla, phul and 1 other person say thanks.
  13. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

with great success comes great opposition. not fair but .. what can we do? he knows so many ppl love him. i hope he does! i wish we could just give him a really warm hug :(

14. tasifa

I fell in love with India when I went in 2013. I didn't know Shahrukh then. When my friends ask me How is India? I always say, India is as beautiful as it is ugly. What is happening now is one of the ugliest part. I would think the same even if it wasn't Shahrukh that was targeted. And yes Dea, I wish all the people who love him could give him a collective hug. That would erase the ugliness of this whole shameful farce.

15. YoupiHoupla

YoupiHoupla New Member

I think he knows that many people appreciate his work and love him, because even with the hate he gets, he keeps doing what he likes and keeps surpassing himself.
    I remember the first time he visited Morocco, it was at the Marrakech Film Festival : he came from the other side of the world but people cheered so much for him as if he was our star, the fans (men, women, children) were so overwhelmed to see him in real life, it was like a dream come true. I mean, the greatest actors and artists from my own country don't get such tremendous reception, not even Hollywood stars like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise or Angelina Jolie ! All around the world he represents the essence of Indian cinema. Most people I know (in Morocco, Algeria, France, Germany, Turkey...) that love hindi movies have always a special admiration for him. So I'm convinced that our love reaches him :)
    It's just very odd for me that people from his own country can have so much hatred for him when he did and still is doing so much positive things for the Indian cinema...

rollercoast, Mara, Dea and 1 other person say thanks.
  16. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

it appears to me, and i don't mean this disrespectfully, that indians are not at all appreciative when it comes to Shahrukh, as a whole. i know he has loads of fans there as well, but believe it or not, more indians are Salman fans if u asked them. it's a statistic! actually i remember watching some vlogs of foreigners going to visit india and asking who is the biggest star, they'd all say Salman is. .......................... what do i say to these ppl? God knows why they prefer Salman. i mean, acting wise i won't comment, can't really say i've seen enough of his work to do so, but as an icon...how can u prefer someone that has been sentenced for killing and other illegal activities? i'm sorry but it's true. i'm talking as a public figure u should stand for something. it's a thing that u are very aware of while endorsing this profession. so responsability comes along, when u have such a huge fan following u should be careful what u evoke, what u stand for, what inspiration u awake in them. i'm sure Salman is only human and i don't judge him for anything he's done or supposedly done. who am i to judge him? the supreme court has, and it hasn't come in his favor. God will judge him. but not me. my problem is that he is somebody youth looks up to in india. i have a huge problem with that, personally. i'm sure he must really regret whatever he has done. Shahrukh loves him. but he knows him personally! my problem is with ppl that know that he's supposedly done this and that and still love him in spite of everything and actually idolize him.
    but Shahrukh says something 100% true, it gets misconstrued and he is being bashed to no end!!!! and Salman's film wasn't affected at all by the fact that he was waiting to receive his verdict! WHAT. THE. HELL????

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  17. YoupiHoupla

YoupiHoupla New Member

All what you said is spot on, I share the same thoughts as you. That's why all this situation is so confusing to me... He's a great actor, he his a great father, a great husband and a great citizen who never did something against his country, yet he gets so much backlash for stating the truth.
    In my humble opinion, I do believe that a part of Indian society is not ready to face some of its issues, that's why when someone brings them to light he gets a negative reaction. However, in Shahrukh's case, it's just ridiculous. People are overacting, they have nothing to say about his statements because they KNOW he is right. So they blindly hate on him... As George Orwell said in 1984, "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." :/

tasifa, Dea and Mara thank this.
  18. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I find it shocking too. When Shah Rukh made up with Salman, and Salman was facing up to justice for his criminal acts like a man, it seemed okay to see Salman’s movies, as long as justice was in process. I had boycotted them before that. But when Salman was acquitted earlier this month and his father bragged about paying the lawyers 25 cr. to get him off, as if that were justice, that was too much. I know Salman is Shah Rukh’s friend and he has done a lot of charity work to improve his public relations. But he shouldn’t be above the law. The prosecution has said they were in the process of preparing an appeal to his recent acquittal. I hope they file it soon.

tasifa says thanks.
  19. srkjuhi

I don't think Salman is bigger than Shahrukh in terms of stardom in India. I don't know what this poll that was referred to is. Shahrukh is huge. Not denying Salman or Aamir aren't. These three have been in this industry for 25 years now and are doing darn well for themselves. Each one of them has their loyal fanbase. What makes Shahrukh stand out is his personality and the fact that he is someone who is not from the industry. His story is incredibly inspiring for anyone out there so I feel he has plenty of folks who look upto him. Anyone who has followed him since the early 90's would know that he spoke his mind even more back then in a way. He called a spade a spade even when he was new to the industry and that's a quality that is still there in him but one can see he has become a bit cautious when it comes to speaking his mind. What he said was nothing wrong yet even while stating it , he said very candidly that a lot of people came out to support him during MNIK but that might not happen again. That he sometimes doesn't speak on such matters because he is apprehensive of exactly what happened. Anyways , Shahrukh is very strong as a human being. I'm sure all this has affected him but at the same time I feel he has this tendency of coming back with a bang everytime someone writes him off.

As for Salman , one has to understand, people don't have the kind of expectations from Salman that people have from Shahrukh. A huge part of Shahrukh's appeal is his off screen persona and that persona is very different from Salman. Salman is referred to as someone who is a "bad boy" with a "heart of gold". Shahrukh is looked up to as someone who's a loving husband , father , brother , and a gentleman. Had he been involved in the kind of stuff SK has been involved in , I don't know about anyone else but I sure as hell wouldn't defend him neither would I be a fan to be honest. People don't have much expectations from SK which is why it doesn't affect his "image" that much. His fans don't care about that crap as long as he keeps delivering at the BO. Salman is also someone who has a rapport with the ruling party. He was "flying kites" with the prime minister a few years back so he's not someone who'll ever comment on such matters. He stated his thoughts last year on a case and then apologized the day later on twitter. And people forgot about it. With Shahrukh, it's different as people pay attention to him when he speaks on matters like he did in these interviews recently. So the bottomline is , these are two very different people who appeal to their fanbases for different reasons.

YoupiHoupla, Dea, Mara and 3 others thanked this.
  20. tasifa

I love your take on the whole situation. And I agree with you.

srkjuhi and Dea thank this.