1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't Shah Rukh produce my film, asks Varma

Discussion in 'Movies T-Z' started by Masala Maami, May 26, 2006.

1. Masala Maami

Masala Maami New Member

Mumbai - Eyebrows were raised when Shah Rukh Khan decided to produce and act in Ram Gopal Varma’s social-fantasy, loosely based on ‘Time Machine’. However, the director is neither defensive nor aggressive - he is just amused.

‘Why should it bother people if Shah Rukh produces a film for me? The minute Shah Rukh offered to produce the film, I agreed. Some people might think it may restrict my freedom, I disagree,’ Varma told IANS.

‘In fact, I think it gives me more freedom since I can forget about production hassles for once and just concentrate on directing. I am writing the script for the film. Shah Rukh will be my actor and producer.
    ‘Just who produces the film makes no difference. These are just technicalities. Who makes the film isn’t important either. The film is.’
    During 2006, Varma goes from Amitabh Bachchan in ‘Nishabd’ to the untitled film with Shah Rukh.

‘Yes, I guess that’s true. Shah Rukh and I have been in discussion for a long time. I guess it was now or never.’
    Is it true the story of the film is based on ‘Time Machine’, just like Harry Baweja’s ‘Love Story 2050′?
    ‘There is an element of time shift in my film. It is set in three time zones… the past, present and future. I have no idea what Harry’s story is. But this is an unnecessary controversy.

‘Harry met me. I told him there are about 50 films in Hollywood based on ‘Time Machine’. Films don’t work on plots. They work on narrative and characters and how a plot is constructed.’
    Varma laughs off rumours that Kareena Kapoor walked out of Baweja’s film to work with him and Shah Rukh.

‘That sounds rather far-fetched. I guess the journalists who wrote this must have a more fertile mind than my scriptwriters at the Factory.

‘To my knowledge Kareena left Harry’s film long before I signed her. I am not concerned with why she left Harry’s film. It is her choice. I am pretty sure my film and Harry’s are totally different films.’
    Varma raves about both his stars.

‘Kareena is someone I wanted to work with for a while. I offered her a couple of my earlier films but it didn’t work out. She is just right for the part. I required someone like her. The Shah Rukh film suits her completely. As for Shah Rukh, I want to project him in a light that hasn’t been attempted before.’

Varma says his film is not a sci-fi flick.
    ‘I’d term it a social-fantasy. It’s a kind of adventure-action entertainer. It’s too unique in concept to describe. I don’t think it has any genre or reference point. Shah Rukh and I couldn’t be doing something routine. Not after waiting so long to work together.’

2. srk_no1_fan

srk_no1_fan New Member

Mumbai: Eyebrows were raised when Shah Rukh Khan decided to produce and act in Ram Gopal Varma's social-fantasy, loosely based on "Time Machine". However, the director is neither defensive nor aggressive - he is just amused.

"Why should it bother people if Shah Rukh produces a film for me? The minute Shah Rukh offered to produce the film, I agreed. Some people might think it may restrict my freedom, I disagree," Varma told IANS.

"In fact, I think it gives me more freedom since I can forget about production hassles for once and just concentrate on directing. I am writing the script for the film. Shah Rukh will be my actor and producer.
    "Just who produces the film makes no difference. These are just technicalities. Who makes the film isn't important either. The film is."

During 2006, Varma goes from Amitabh Bachchan in "Nishabd" to the untitled film with Shah Rukh.
    "Yes, I guess that's true. Shah Rukh and I have been in discussion for a long time. I guess it was now or never."

Is it true the story of the film is based on "Time Machine", just like Harry Baweja's "Love Story 2050"?
    "There is an element of time shift in my film. It is set in three time zones... the past, present and future. I have no idea what Harry's story is. But this is an unnecessary controversy.

"Harry met me. I told him there are about 50 films in Hollywood based on 'Time Machine'. Films don't work on plots. They work on narrative and characters and how a plot is constructed."

Varma laughs off rumours that Kareena Kapoor walked out of Baweja's film to work with him and Shah Rukh.

"That sounds rather far-fetched. I guess the journalists who wrote this must have a more fertile mind than my scriptwriters at the Factory.

"To my knowledge Kareena left Harry's film long before I signed her. I am not concerned with why she left Harry's film. It is her choice. I am pretty sure my film and Harry's are totally different films."
    Varma raves about both his stars.

"Kareena is someone I wanted to work with for a while. I offered her a couple of my earlier films but it didn't work out. She is just right for the part. I required someone like her. The Shah Rukh film suits her completely. As for Shah Rukh, I want to project him in a light that hasn't been attempted before."
    Varma says his film is not a sci-fi flick.

"I'd term it a social-fantasy. It's a kind of adventure-action entertainer. It's too unique in concept to describe. I don't think it has any genre or reference point. Shah Rukh and I couldn't be doing something routine. Not after waiting so long to work together."

3. Meghna04

Meghna04 ChakDe SRK!

Thanks Kainat!

It's a kind of adventure-action entertainer....
    ui... That's really interesting!

4. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I don't get it... did anyone complain or is bothered coz srk will be producing the movie? what is he talking about?

5. tixa

tixa New Member

Thanks for sharing!

6. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

Aawh well...As long as we get to see Shah Rukh... :rolleyes: Still don't like this guy.... :p

7. Poonam

Poonam New Member

Wafa, I think people may have commented because RGV generally produces his own films. This is perhaps a departure from his usual procedure. Or maybe it's just the media's way of probing around and making something out of nothing. Most filmi 'news' seems to be just that - products of someone's fertile imagination

8. shahzura

shahzura New Member

Hmmm...this new film by RGV is already getting eveyone on their toes even before it goes to the floor :D ...accidental publicity...now that ceratinly wouldn't hurt at all...it certainly got me intrigued already :D ...well, Shahrukh must have enough faith in this movie for him to offer producing it instead of it going under the RGV banner...we'll just have to wait & see what unfolds...:D

9. Pakiza

Pakiza New Member

thx kainat

"Why should it bother people if Shah Rukh produces a film for me? The minute Shah Rukh offered to produce the film, I agreed.

dont know why ppl are bothered...i mean srk himself has pffered so whts the prob?!:mad:

10. layla-val

layla-val Active Member

Thanks Kainat, just seems the press trying to make something out of nothing again, but as Zura said, pre-production publicity can't hurt can it:rolleyes: it keeps the interest there.

11. KhushiDreamz

KhushiDreamz G.One Squad Member

Well is time for Mr RGV to concentrate in the film rather than both the film and the producing part...and its good that he is doing so because SRK is going to be in it..so is he doesnt concentrate in the script and directions, I think SRK wont work with him, cuz he is a man of professionalism..so its good that by doing a movie with King Khan he gives the productions part to someone else..and who better than Red CHillies..dont you guys think?..
    And for Kareena..wel I have nothing to say..I like her..and I was waiting a movie with her and SRK..she was supposed to do KHNH.. but she didnt..so its nice that SRK works with her again..finally not the same one all over again "Rani and Preity"..hey dont get me wrong I love both of them...but we need a change:)

12. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

Thanks Kainat.:)

13. Lia

Lia Well-Known Member

mm... new film for Red Chillies. sure it won't bother anyone.

14. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

this article was released only 2 days ago, and now he is saying the project will be put on the shelves.:confused: I wonder if this has anything to do with his decision to do sholay remake first, and if SRK will be part of sholay.