1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

When Shah Rukh Khan Bowled Us Over By Shedding His Lover-Boy Image

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by tasifa, Dec 2, 2016.

1. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

When Shah Rukh Khan Bowled Us Over By Shedding His Lover-Boy Image
    December 02, 2016, 16:05 PM By Russel D’Silva

[​IMG]

Shah Rukh Khan is the undisputed ‘King of Romance’, and he’s earned the tag with good reason. When SRK romances a lady on screen, anyone from 18 to 80 would yearn to fall in love just to experience the gooey sensation he creates in our hearts. However, being the powerhouse performer that he is, SRK has also treated us to some memorable characters outside his romantic purview. From psychotic lover to hockey coach to an autistic person to a sagely therapist – the superstar has portrayed a diverse range of characters with aplomb and distinction over his distinguished career.

With the trailer of Raees all set for a grand launch in a few days, we couldn’t think of a better time to travel down memory lane and revisit some of SRK’s finest moment outside his lover-boy image.

Baazigar (1993)

[​IMG]

How many actors would have been or still are willing to play an anti-hero, who’s not above killing innocent women, so early in their careers, without any fear of being typecast? But SRK not only did it with scary confidence, but also became the first actor to walk away with the Filmfare Best Actor trophy for a negative role.

Darr (1993)

[​IMG]

If playing anti-hero wasn’t enough, then SRK went full-blown psycho in the same year with Darr, and walked away with even more accolades, plus, a Best Villain Filmfare nomination to go along with his Best Actor trophy. More importantly, who would’ve thought that the guy who sent shivers down the spine of every young lass out there, would one day be the heartthrob of millions of women.

Josh (2000)

[​IMG]

After several years of playing romantic characters, Shah Rukh took a detour with this curry-western hybrid, where he played a cool action hero; leather jackets, mean bikes, earrings and all. What’s more he agreed to be Aishwarya Rai’s bro and allowed a much-junior Chandrachur Singh to romance her instead. The result – we were once again impressed with his guts to move away from a hit formula and the entire nation fell in love with his biker swag in the film.

Swades (2004)

[​IMG]

Though a flop upon release, Swades received overwhelmingly positive reviews from every major film critic, and another Best Actor Filmfare trophy for SRK. Moreover, the film was widely acclaimed as an extremely important piece of cinema, with a highly relevant social message. It has since gone on to achieve cult status both in India and abroad, and is widely regarded to be among Shah Rukh’s very best films and performances.

Chak De India (2007)

[​IMG]

Despite the setback of Swades, Shah Rukh decided to experiment once again, and this time he was not to be denied commercial success to go along with the critical acclaim. Chake De India went on to be a blockbuster, swept every major award there was to win, and has gone on to achieve cult status all around the world. In fact, the film even managed to revive interest in the sport of hockey to an extent.

My Name is Khan (2010)

[​IMG]

SRK took on arguably his toughest role in the film, that of an autistic individual, and enacted it with so much conviction and sensitivity that no less than the Autistic Society of India gave his performance, its stamp of approval. Not to mention that the film did fabulous business the world over. It should also be noted that barring Josh, each of SRK’s experimental roles have won him the Filmfare Best Actor trophy.

Fan (2016)

[​IMG]

After half a decade of some passable fare, SRK came roaring back into form with a performance straight from the archives of his frighteningly intense cinematic years in the early 1990s. Sadly, the film suffered a fate similar to that of Swades – positive reviews from most critics but a subpar turnover at the ticket window. We do hop that it also goes on to receive all the love that Swades had accumulated down the years.

Dear Zindagi (2016)

[​IMG]

Shah Rukh decided to take a risk once again in 2016, and this time the result was more favorable with the ticket-paying audience. Most claimed the actor’s extended cameo to be the highlight of the film, and he could be in line for the Best Supporting Actor Award at all major functions for the first time in his career.

We love SRK as the romantic icon, but he’s equally delectable when he dons his other avatars, making him one of the best and most-versatile actors to ever grace the silver screen. We can’t wait to see what he brings to the table next with Raees.

https://www.movified.com/when-shah-rukh-khan-bowled-us-over-by-shedding-his-lover-boy-image

rollercoast, Journey95 and Alenka thank this.
  2. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

And thats why we love him! SRK is no doubt the King of romance but I really like it when he branches out and does different type of roles.

So excited for Raees, I'm sure he will give a great performance.

3. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

And there are outstanding other examples they could have mentioned.
    Anyone ever heard of Don?....... :D. Or Ra.1?

Shows that his repertoire is wide and courageous. He takes risks like no other.

4. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

I would also mention Asoka, he was great & very different there too. Sadly taking risks has often not paid off for him (often flops which I dont get).

5. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Some of my favourite films were flops. :noidea:
    Maybe it just means I'm not typical of the general Indian movie-going public ( which I'm not! )

6. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

stills always bring back memories i feel like watching all those movies right now

rollercoast says thanks.