1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

When Mannat was Villa Vienna

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by Masala Maami, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Masala Maami

Masala Maami New Member

When Kekoo Gandhy first visited his new neighbour Shah Rukh Khan, he was glad to see the elaborate M still engraved on its terrace.

The letter is a reminder of the bungalow’s old owner and Gandhy’s maternal grandfather Maneckji Batliwala — of a time when the bungalow had no electricity, but there were sprawling tennis courts and servant’s quarters. It was called Villa Vienna then.

Today, as Shah Rukh’s Mannat, the bungalow retains its facade from years ago in Gandhy’s mind’s eye, despite the public interest litigation filed by conservationists recently.

Conservationists object to the actor constructing an adjoining building to the mansion on the grounds that it is a heritage structure. “To my mind, he has restored it quite well,” says the 85-year-old Gandhy, who recalls his grandfather modeling his dream structure to the style of villas on the Italian south coast.

Having no heirs, she wrote it off to her sister Goolbanu and it went onto her son Naryman Dubash, known for promoting the cause of Parsi priests. Dubash owned the mansion, till he sold it to a builder, from whom Shah Rukh bought it.

Gandhy feels that he may have kicked off the current controversy years ago himself when he made a chance remark before Shah Rukh bought it that the grounds should be used for an art gallery.

“I was insensitive to the fact that the building belonged to my cousin Naryman and Shah Rukh is paying for that now. I was lost in my vision. I suggested it inadvertently and I regret it now,” says the art patron.

While the actor and he may come from different worlds, Gandhy points out that his grandson Arish and Shah Rukh’s son Aryan are very close. “They play every evening. I remember when Arish was very young, his cricket bat and he were inseparable. When I took him there, Aryan tried to snatch it. I didn’t know, but Arish asked if he could come home and leave the bat back,” he laughs. Gandhy himself was unaware of Shah Rukh’s reigning status.

“When he first moved in, I came back home and saw a trench dug up outside my house. I was sitting there furious when he knocked on my door and apologised so sweetly,” describes Gandhy. When Gandhy offered Shah Rukh art pieces to fill up his walls, the actor invited him over for his Holi party. “As people rolled in, I recognised lots of faces from my corner.

Then Shah Rukh affectionately put his arm around my shoulder and said that he had to return my favour. Before I knew it, he picked me up bodily and carried me to the terrace. I was worried about my slip disc when I saw the tank of Holi water. But he touched me very gently to the water,” recalls Gandhy, “We have a nice friendship, but his domain is different from mine.”

And while Kekoo Gandhy may not stop by at Mannat often, he knows that memories of his grandparents’ days are just a wall away.

----------

It's an old article, please delete if duplicate :)

2. Meghna04

Meghna04 ChakDe SRK!

Thanks Meh!

I've read this before!

This pic was with the article:

[​IMG]

3. Masala Maami

Masala Maami New Member

Yep! My brain cells are on vacation I guess :crazy: :D

4. Pakiza

Pakiza New Member

i read this teh 1st time...thx meh

5. srk_no1_fan

srk_no1_fan New Member

thx for sharing Meh

6. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I like this article. srk is truly blessed. thanks meh.

7. semaay

semaay Senior Member

Thanks Meh for the article!
    And thanks Evy for giving me the link ;)

Very nice article!

8. Samita

Samita New Member

thanks for sharing!

9. layla-val

layla-val Active Member

Thanks for sharing this lovely story Meh :thumb: What a lovely neighbour Shahrukh would be :eek: :heart: He was certainly a lovely neighbour to this gentleman :thumb:

10. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

Thank you!!! :)

I love the "Villa-Style" and old houses with a history!!

I can understand why ShahRukh wanted this house. :thumb:

It is so beautiful....

And with nice neighbours... it's really good to live there... :thumb: :)

11. Astri

Astri New Member

I just read this now.:p

12. Aryana

Aryana SRK's Pashtaana Fan

thanks for the article, meh.

13. sadiatasniim

sadiatasniim New Member

nice article .......hav'nt read it before

14. Evy

Evy Well-Known Member

Does anybody have more information about Mannat or Villa Vienna ?

Than post it here.:) :thumb:

15. Fan_of_SRK

Fan_of_SRK New Member

Thanks for posting. I hadn't read this one before.

16. layan

layan New Member

Re : When Mannat was Villa Vienna

mannat is a very beautiful place i can understand why shahrukh miss home when he is abroad

17. kanika

kanika New Member

that is so sweet. thanx a lot

18. Evy

Evy Well-Known Member

A new pic from ShahRukh Khan´s Mannat. In the back you will see the big new house which was discussed many times because of having problems to get the permission for building.

[​IMG]

19. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

Thank you for sharing, Evy! :)

It's really big.... :eek:
    Can understand people discussing it...

20. Astri

Astri New Member

That's a house or a hotel?:eek: