1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your opinion? SRK's Dream Role?

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by Pompula, Mar 4, 2014.

1. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

@Mara - :pound: love your descriptions! Made me want to start watching as well. Any chance to find it with subs?

I also like the idea of SRK in a historical/mythological role.....from before they invented shirts. :madgrin:

Mara and skrogers thank this.
  2. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

IMO, the current mythological series is all bling. More junk over substance. You are better off watching the old one. Incidentally, all of old actors are very good actors - 'mostly theatre' personalities. I guess the special effects are a bit silly.Considering the times, those were considered innovative.

The old Maharbharat, Ramayana, Uttar Ramayan, etc have serious nostalgic value for every Indian who has lived through that era. Can remember over sleeping on Sunday morning only to wake up to the sound of Mahabharat on TV. Since Doordarshan (Government's channel) was the only channel of those days, everyone would be watching the same program. If TV is not switched on, lot of chances of hearing it from neighbour's house. Good old days.

The current series makes me miss the 90s so much. Its just too over dramatized, too much glitz, fake tears, fake accent, average actors, overdone background score. They've made it exactly how daily soaps are done in current times. Nothing innovative. It makes me feel very sad for the kids growing up at current times. 1980s/1990s were much better.

Wafa and Mara thank this.
  3. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

DishWorld streaming on the Internet here in California has both the "Mahabharat" on StarPlus and "Mahadev" on LifeOK with English subtitles. Also most of their movies and other serials. I plug my laptop into my TV and watch it there. The program didn't work in India though.
    StarPlus puts "Mahabharat" on YouTube, (search Mahabharat StarPlus) but for some reason my computer gives Portuguese subtitles when I click on the CC. Then a window comes up and offers to translate the Portuguese into the language of my choice. The new English subtitles comes out half okay, half completely wrong. Weird.
    "Devon Ke Dev... Mahadev" is on YouTube also. There are no English subtitles, but there is a complete description in English of what happens in the episode.

Wafa and luxia thank this.
  4. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

You’re right about the current actors in the serials being just average. They’re chosen for their gym work, not for their acting performance (like a few of the best actor awards this year). Junk can be fun.

But is it possible our nostalgia about the old serials might have influenced our memory? I remember enjoying them also a few years ago and thought they were well done. After touring Vrindavan and the Braj area last year, I bought Sagar’s “Krishna” series on Amazon, and am trying to view it again. The actor playing Kansa is so bad I can barely watch it. It’s really over dramatized as well and seemed so much better the first time I saw it. Might the other serials be similarly “colored”?

Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days.Doug Larson

Wafa says thanks.
  5. yummy

Period dramas can hardly be subtle. Incidentally, my comment did not include "Krishna". I wasn't as successful as Mahabharat/Ramayana as far as I remember. There was another mythological story called "Chandrakanta" (unlike Ramayana/Mahabharat this isn't story of God's) which started really great, somewhere in middle lost heat.

The new age series, just shows the face of each character holding an expression, from far to near, dramatic music, another characters face far to near, dramatic music etc .. This type of intrusive and exaggerated narrative irritates me to no end. In the old series, you can see actors emote clearly... That's about it. Rest, is your preference.

I replied to rollercoast. Didn't not intend to say something you like as junk... May be, she too will prefer the current ones. The only thing I do with these hindi series is to put it on mute and watch the jewellery and styling of the female characters. It can help understand trends in fashion jewellery for traditional events. :D

Mara says thanks.
  6. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

@yummy I don't understand. Are you talking to me? What are you saying?

7. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

Lol. Not you - me. :lol:

I understand the nostalgia for the old shows, especially if it's something one has grown up watching. Whenever I watch shows from my childhood, I tend to ignore the really silly special effects and focus on the good feeling and good memories.

On the other hand, modern bling can be fun. Like eating junk food - you know it's bad but it's also so good! :lol:
    So thanks Mara, I'll have a look.

Mara says thanks.
  8. yummy

:focus: I hope Shah Rukh, never, ever, EVER gets to act in stuff like them... :doh: .. Sometimes in the middle of bad actors, good actors gets lost. Since, characters are too stylized, one can't differentiate good acting from bad. It all looks the same.

I loved the movie Jodha Akbar, and even Asoka... That is how period dramas should be. Hope you can spot the difference. Wouldn't mind Shah Ruh, in such a film again. A whole movie shirtless plus Shah Rukh with a beard -- would be tooo too good.

skrogers says thanks.
  9. f khan

f khan Farah Khan

i want to see him in a lawyer's avatar..

skrogers says thanks.
  10. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

:hail: couldn't have been said any better! I long for that type of responsible and moral cinema.

11. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I haven't really watched any of the mythological series, mainly due to lack of time but would love to watch some of them.
    @Mara where in CA are you? can you provide links to online series that one would be able to watch and get an idea?

12. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I subscribe to DishWorld here near Los Angeles, a streaming Indian TV Internet service and watch all my Hindi Indian TV on it. Several channels are in English and many of the Hindi programs and movies have English subtitles. They provide an app/software program when you sign up that runs on a computer, iPad, and/or Android. I don’t want to link to it since it’s a commercial website, but a google will bring it up.

Here is a link to one of the more “fiery” Mahabharat episodes on YouTube. If you click on “Show More” below the video, there’s a description scene by scene in English of what’s happening.

Only a few YouTube Mahadev episodes have English subtitles, but there are extensive details below the video in English. This is the episode where Shiva and Sati do a sensuous dance together.

In the LifeOK Awards show, SRK was trying to teach Mohit Raina (Shiva) how to dance, but Raina kept returning to this dance style. That comedy routine had me in stitches!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    lauraleedooley and Wafa thank this.
  13. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

I'm late to this party, but here's my contribution.

I generally dislike remakes, but I think he'd be fantastic in a remake of Mr. Mom. The movie takes on family gender roles in a humorous way, so it has a message, but it's not a "message movie." It would need a strong female lead, of approximately the same age to play his wife. Someone with some comedic timing--perhaps Kajol or Juhi or for something new Tabu.

Baree and Mara thank this.
  14. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Aaaaaahhhhh!!!! SRK and Juhi in such a film! :heart: :) I want!!!!

Baree says thanks.
  15. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I would love to see him star with Juhi Chawla in a remake of my favorite French film “Toute Une Vie” (And Now My Love) (1974), but set in India, following Indian history and Hindi cinema for over a period of a century. Perhaps instead of a filmmaker SRK could play an actor (himself). Both of them are at the right age to play the different aged people spanning three generations. SRK would be the perfect scoundrel who uses his failures in life to become a famous creative artist against the backdrop of political change. The two future lovers need to mature through all their mistakes in relationships before becoming “right for each other” at midlife, meeting finally at the end.

“Claude Lelouch's romantic drama Toute une Vie chronicles three different love affairs over three generations during the 20th century. Marthe Keller and Charles Denner portray different members of the families in each of the generations. The stories involve a cameraman's son who suffers and survives internment in a concentration camp in World War II, and his daughter, who marries a man who begins adulthood as an ex-convict and a scoundrel but gradually matures and becomes a well-respected filmmaker”…. “Each section of the film utilizes a style of filmmaking that is associated with the time period being portrayed. Lelouch earned an Academy Award nomination (along with co-screenwriter Pierre Uytterhoeven) for his screenplay in 1975.”
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/and_now_my_love/

skrogers and Debbie thank this.
  16. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

This sounds like a wonderful movie for Shah to make....do you know where on the internet I can watch it?

skrogers and Mara thank this.
  17. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

This is so funny! I went to Netflix and I already have this in my DVD queue....

Mara says thanks.
  18. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

SRK would be brilliant in a double role here as both the young man and as the famous Gilbert Becaud.

It’s not streaming on my American Netflix, but is available by mail from Netflix, and for sale on Amazon. Hulu doesn’t have it. Where else would you look?

This is the trailer on YouTube:

This is a short clip showing the woman as a young girl meeting her singing and acting idol Gilbert Becaud at her birthday party and having her first brief affair with him. The young man is an inventive and charming thief who later uses his criminal experiences as a basis for his films and becomes famous.

This is the final scene where the two future lovers are each driving separately to the airport, listening to the haunting theme song of the movie, one of the greatest break-up songs of all time, “Et maintenant”. I love the subtle message of the suitcases. :

Debbie says thanks.
  19. skrogers

skrogers Southeast Connecticut, USA

Watching Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Think this role of Peter Joshua would be a fine one for SRK. The female lead is significantly younger and this is cause for some repartee between Hepburn and Grant. Boman Irani could do the Mr. Bartholomew role. Set in India it could be fun.

rubyroo says thanks.
  20. EnergeticKool

EnergeticKool New Member

I have number of Dream roles for Srk such as -:

1. James Stewart character in 'It's a wonderful life' and 'The Shop around the Corner.
    2. Cary Grant Character in 'North by Northwest' and 'Arsenic and Old Lace'
    3. Gregory Peck Character in 'The Omen'
    4. Jack Nicholson Character in 'The Shining'
    5. Al Pacino Character in 'Scent of a Woman'
    6. Gary Cooper Character in ' Mr. deeds goes to town'
    7. Tom Cruise character in ' Jerry Maguire'

Would love to see Srk in atleast one role similar to any of these role.