1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Your Opinion? No.4 - SRK's Legacy - Just Another Romantic Lead?

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by rollercoast, Mar 25, 2014.

1. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

The title was meant to get people talking. Well I guess it did that.... :rolleyes:

Debbie, Mara, rubyroo and 1 other person say thanks.
  2. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

I agree that there's actually nothing wrong if srk were defined as a romantic lead. He is the ultimate romantic figure, which is a mainstay of most commercial cinemas. No-one can convey that look of love and trust and wonder, as if every woman He looks on is the first woman he has ever seen in his life, the way he can. To be able to be the King of Romance in an industry which thrives on the genre is a pretty big feat.

There is a lot more though, and @Karan#1 has covered a lot of it. I think who is the most influential of the past decade is up for debate, but srk will certainly be remembered for introducing Hindi cinema to the world. There is no denying that he is the first and most popular in the overseas market.

Also, his contribution to the industry through vfx will also be significant, and I think that is something he would be very proud of.

He has generated such love and devotion I like to think that is also part of his legacy - to touch and inspire so many hearts and minds. Perhaps others before him have done the same, I don't know, but the way srk connects with his fans is special, and to my mind, unique.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    Debbie, rubyroo, Mara and 1 other person say thanks.
  3. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I still didn't get the chance to contribute to this thread (work) but I hope to get some time this weekend.

@yummy and @Alenka I have deleted your posts that YOU have edited/erased.

Please note that these recent discussions "Your opinion..." were initiated by a group of some members to generate more discussions in the forum especially that now we have more new members. Discussions were not intended to be negative and exchange of opinions are encouraged whether you agree or not on one another's views, please don't take things personally. Moreover, please keep in mind that English might be a second language to some members and might not convey the intended message or tone, (I know I have to remind myself of this all the time).

Pompula, Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  4. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

@yummy, I've been thinking about your post. If you're saying that Aamir was the successful ground-breaking innovator in the 2000s ( and I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing :p), who would you say has that position for the 2010s? I don't mean individual films or art-house films, I mean which actor, male or female, has challenged the norm or 'defined the era' ( such a good term!).

The difficulty now is that success is measured in such narrow box-office terms that unless an actor is happy to live out their days making films dubbed as flops, there is not a lot of room to experiment. I think srk is actually right up there for experimentation in the 2000s and beyond. Of course He's not the only one, but the question of leaving a legacy isn't really a competition as to who did it most or better. It's about what he did which was important. And sometimes the public didn't support a particular movie because it wasn't to current tastes, but even so, I'm thinking that the variety of roles and genres are still one of srk's strong points.

Debbie and Mara thank this.
  5. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

I think he will be remembered as one of the greats of Hindi cinema. In a hundred years when they write books about 200 years of Indian cinema, he will be mentioned as the biggest superstar of this era.

And I don't know what the concept of movies will be in 50 years, but I believe his films will be watched the same way Raj Kapoor's or Dilip Kumar's films from the 50s are watched today. But which are the films that will survive that long? Difficult to say... DDLJ of course, but which others...

Indeed he will be remembered as the romantic hero of at least three decades (not a small accomplishment) but I also think his versatility will be more appreciated than it is now.

Debbie and Mara thank this.
  6. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

He is a great actor who can do much more than just being the romantic hero (see Swades, Chak de India etc.) but I would be lying if I said that it isn't the part he really excels at.

I don't think there is any other actor who can do romance as well as he does. Its what makes SRK special.

7. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

Shahrukh Khan will be immortal his legacy will be huge he is the one who introduced and changed the overseas market for the hindi film industry and he was probably the only outsider to be right at the top - the kind of films he did aswell even now he takes risks something actors in the top league never dream about

Journey95 says thanks.
  8. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Hopefully it pays off with Dear Zindagi & Raees, Fan sadly didnt perform well at the BO.

And I agree about his impact overseas. He made Bollywood popular in the west imho.