1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Your Opinion? No.4 - SRK's Legacy - Just Another Romantic Lead?

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by rollercoast, Mar 25, 2014.

1. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

In all likelihood SRK's career has a long, long way to go.
    But even if he retired today he will still have made his mark on the history of Indian cinema.
    How do you think his legacy will be remembered?

Will the entry in cinema history books be:
    ShahRukh Khan, popular romantic lead of the 1990s and 2000s.
    Best known for his trademark move of throwing his arms out wide.

Or will there be more to it than that?

Pompula says thanks.
  2. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. Too many abbreviations for me to follow you thoughts! This is something I understand came with my introduction to Bollywood, but please not here where I only speak SRK!!!!
    Thanks for understanding.

3. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

I think we can get an answer in through thirty years. And what will be the answer not at all clear. Personally, I think that SRK already now is a legend of Indian Cinema. He is the one who changed the rules. I hope that he will continue to follow this path.

4. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Hey @yummy where has your post gone? I didn't get a chance to read it earlier (at work) - hope it comes back soon!

Xeny says thanks.
  5. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Can you elaborate on that Alenka?
    In what way do you think He is a legend?
    How did he change the rules?

I don't want to wait another 8 years (his 30 years, right?) to talk about it. For the sake of discussion let's talk now. :D

6. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

Alenka, could you try being less aggressive? Nobody is questioning your right to your own opinion, so maybe in exchange you could try expressing it in a way that doesn't feel like you're attacking people with whose opinion you disagree? You also shouldn't consider any opinion disagreeing with yours as a personal attack that requires retaliation. We're here to discuss, we don't have to agree on everything - that would make life boring. :)

rollercoast says thanks.
  7. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

Information for consideration: yummy wrote an interesting huge post, but removed it because it felt that it hurt. What do you think, why did she do it?

PS: yummy, you had a very interesting post. And although I not agree with you in many ways but read with pleasure. You should not delete it!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

Wow, it's always nice to start a thread with an unnecessary argument...

Anyway, onto the question...

Whether or not I agree that he should be limited to just one type of hero, I do think that Shah Rukh will be remembered primarily as the ultimate lover. He just does love better than anyone else, and that seems to be the place that he has been slotted by the media at large. But of course more thorough retrospectives will also expand on that to his negative roles, his "serious" roles, his comic performances, etc. Personally, I hope that this period he is in now will leave the legacy of him as an innovator (He tried so hard with Ra.One, and I hope he doesn't let disappointment stop him from trying more).

Xeny, Alenka, Debbie and 1 other person say thanks.
  9. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Alenka, what the heck are you talking about?
    You expressed an opinion in very general terms and because I was interested to hear more about your views I asked you to talk a little more about them. How is that denying your opinion?

Your manner is really difficult to take. We're trying to have a discussion here and I feel like you are always trying to shut it down.

Debbie says thanks.
  10. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

So, I did not understand you. I am not strong in English and it is often a challenge. Sorry.

11. anesya

anesya Guest

this thread is a rollercoaster already. but right now it seems like one of those things where it spins too fast and you´re pinned onto the wall & cant do anything about it....
    however.

people like to label people. and it happened right away in the beginning so i wont go into that further.
    however i think shah pointed out clearly by my name is khan that he isnt just "Best known for his trademark move of throwing his arms out wide."
    I dont and i wont ever categorize him - end of opinion

rollercoast and Alenka thank this.
  12. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

I said something and realized I will be attacked for it, and deleted it.

I basically divided his career into two phases...

There were many actors popular in 90s. SRK's popularity was more culturally significant i.e something about him defined the taste of that era. Anupama Chopra book talks about it. He made the urban yuppy a likeable hero. This prototype was just a secondary hero during Bachchan days, when machoism was considered heroic. When I say cultural significance, its like 'Walk like an Eygptian' ... Hippie culture of 60s/70s... SRK's attitude, dressing style,quotes, rags-to-riches story- everything inspired youngster of the times. Check out : Ayushmain Khurrana talking about DDLJ is IBNLIVE. This significance will always be felt. This is beyond a romantic image. Whenever some talks about 90s, invariably they talk about somethings related to SRK.. like DD serials like Fauji, like negative roles like Darr/Baazigar, the romantic DDLJ -- something like that among many peculiarities of those times ..

Most importantly, SRK was leading the change those days. He was the guy who didn't play to any ones rules. He did films that were ahead of the times like Dil Se, Hey Ram, PBDHH(though it had its flaws). Yess Boss/Pardes etc he did almost sideline roles something other heros never did. Heroes always wanted to garner maximum punchlines and attention. So, SRK kept breaking several myths. This particular success of SRK is hardly discussed in the manufactured PR of current times.. Many say SRK's stardom started with DDLJ. Actually it did with Darr/Baazigar itself ...

Mara, TessaRose and rollercoast thank this.
  13. yummy

2000s -is when the branding of 'arms thrown out' hero, the NRI superstar etc happened. The global stardom happened with K3G/Devdas etc.. also ended up making him predictable. Also, SRK being supported unanimously by nepotism epicenter like Karan Johar-- made him appear like the privileged insider rather than the unpredictable rogue he was in 90s. He got tamed by the same things he had to fight against in 90s.e This image he has been trying to break, with CDI, Paheli, Swades, MNIK etc .. But Aamir went above him with RDB, 3I, DCH, Sarforosh etc .. So, SRK just remains a Globally popular Super star -- while Aamir Khan and his brand of cinema defined the era...

I do not intend to say, SRK didn't try to come out of the image he had been stuck inside. But his attempts weren't as much accepted. Though, SRK is already a legend with hits in all genres, he still remains trapped into an image.

Unfortunately there are many in this forum, who love him too much in the 2000s version, that they do not want to hear, 'what I say'. It all depends on whether you love Shah rukh for who he is or Karan Johar creations like Aman/Rahul more...

Hope he will break this myth of him being just another romantic hero and go beyond it...

TessaRose and rollercoast thank this.
  14. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

well its been said many times shahrukh khan is the one who took hindi films global and outside of india he gave bollywood the international status no one can deny that fact

Mara and rollercoast thank this.
  15. Xeny

Xeny ❤️‍ ART

I'm sure on 100 % that he is accepted and will be remembered, as the best in what he does and it's acting. Best actor, king of Bollywood etc...I don't believe that he is trapped in some kind of one image.

PS: Though what is wrong about being remembered as the king of romance? (but for me he is more that that, obviously)

Mara and rollercoast thank this.
  16. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

I'll have to answer the question about his legacy a bit later, but I would like to remind everyone to please keep the discussions civil and respectful. Here I'll quote myself from the first post of the first "What's Your Opinion" topic:

"There are only few rules about these threads... They are all topics that can and hopefully will be discussed here, if you don't like a certain topic or you find it irrelevant, please feel free to discuss all the other topics on the Forum and join the discussions on the next week's topic. There is no such thing as "this shouldn't be discussed" here.
    The other rule is that everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone's opinions need to be respected. We can all disagree on anything and we can say that we disagree (and I hope there will be topics where we do disagree) but we have to discuss about the issues and always respect other people's opinions and point of view. (These are actually Forum rules, so nothing new under the sun)."

So please, all those who are interested in thinking about what could SRKs legacy be, please discuss it here. Those who don't want to talk about it, you can still go back to the three previous topics in the series, as the idea is not that they should no longer be discussed once the new discussion is started, or you can wait for the next weeks topics. And besides that there are of course all the other discussions that are going on...

skrogers, Xeny and rollercoast thank this.
  17. yummy

Agree Pompula...

skrogers says thanks.
  18. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

Disagree. And aamir did have a handful of great films (mainly from 2001-2007) but I wouldn't say any, apart from 3 idiots, defined the era.

True. I thought the title was off some negative article when I first saw it, though I don't think that was the intention.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Baree and Mara thank this.
  19. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

I think he's a legend since he's:
    • One of the most successful and popular Bollywood actors there ever was and probably the most popular ever worldwide. He'll be seen in the same elite league as Dilip Kumar and Amitabh Bachchan.
    • Been part of some of Bollywood's most iconic films.
    How did he change the rules:
    • Family connections matter a lot in Bollywood and outsiders struggle. It only took SRK, an outsider, a few years to find himself at the top.
    • Leading Bollywood heroes were reluctant to do negative roles. SRK changed this with Baazigar and Darr.
    • He redefined the romantic hero with DDLJ.
    • He took Bollywood's popularity worldwide to a new level. Bollywood films didn't have much exposure overseas and didn't earn much outside of India but SRK's films changed this starting with DDLJ.
    • He changed the way a film was promoted and made the bollywood star more accessible to the media and fans.

KKhan, Debbie, Tash and 2 others thanked this.
  20. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

The Hindi film hero almost always has had a romance cooking somewhere in the film over the decades. Even the “angry young man” era would have Big B romancing some woman in between bashing people up. Aamir’s films combined the typecast romantic hero with patriotic themes but I don’t think “his brand of cinema defined the era” of the 2000 decade. It was a decade when many different genera of films were emerging, such as the “angry young woman” in Lajja, or Ram Gopal Varma’s psychological thriller, political and horror dramas. KJo did contribute to SRK’s type casting, but his films have pulled international audiences into the theaters and contributed significantly to SRK becoming “just….a Globally popular Super star” (How bad could that be?). SRK has broken out of romantic stereotypes with many movies in the 2000 decade with “CDI, Paheli, Swades, MNIK”, as well as Hey Ram, Shakthi: The Power, RaOne, RNBDJ, Don. Even the middle aged, cowardly and suicidal protagonist of Chennai Express who constantly has to be saved by the heroine is not your typical Hindi film hero. But I’m easy. I’ll love SRK in all of them.

Debbie says thanks.