1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What made you SRK's fan??

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by annous, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Shanti Chand

Shanti Chand BANNED.

I guess he's simply magnetic and hypnotic...

Jasmine says thanks.
  2. Misty45

Misty45 Well-Known Member

Tried to post this earlier but something went wrong and I lost connection, so trying again!

This is the first time I have looked at this thread, after seeing Rubyroo's entry. Loved reading all your stories , Marion, June, Kalee, Rizu, Rubyroo and was very touched by them. This has inspired me to tell you my own.

Like Rubyroo, I haven't been a fan very long compared to a lot of you.
    My story begins with my children's love of Martial Arts and Manga.
    As a family, we often sat down together to watch rental movies, which with my children's interest in mind gravitated towards the above themes. Jackie Chan and Jet Li being amongst our favourites.
    I also used to buy ex-rental VHS videos from my local store and first came across SRK in Asoka which I bought because of the cover and that I like Historical 'epic' style movies. My daughter was the first to comment on SRK's good looks, and I had to agree with her that I found him very attractive! However, I was married at the time and couldn't voice my opinion in front of my husband. I have since got divorced, as some of you may have read, and can now indulge in my fantasies as much as I please (much to my daughter’s disgust). I didn't realise when watching Asoka that SRK didn't actually sing, but thought that the voice didn't sound quite right for him (in this particular film). Now, I know how well he can Lip-synch - and he does it beautifully!
    I also bought Devdas around about the same time, but didn't like it so much first time I watched. Didn't like the fact that he died at the end. Now I like all of his films even when he does die!!!
    This was about ten years ago.
    Once I got divorced, I found myself watching a lot more films to fill up my time, with my daughter being my most constant companion.
    Being in a bit of a depressed state after my divorce (solicitors bills, financial worries etc-not the fact that I was divorced, I was glad of that!) I suggested to my daughter that we watched some more cheerful movies for a change. A lot of the Japanese ones have tragic endings!
    I remembered how we both enjoyed Asoka and we had also seen some 'Bollywood' films in the meantime. (Monsoon Wedding, Bride & Prejudice etc) and loved the whole 'Song & Dance' thing and the 'Happy Endings'.
    So, I just picked one at random from my rental list (Lovefilm.com)
    This just happened to be KKHH and I fell in love all over again!
    I never looked back after this. DDLJ being my second.
    I tried my local DVD store to see if I could buy any more, which was when I got OSO. (They had it filed under Musicals and made it quite obvious when I asked for Bollywood that I was weird! )
    I now own most of his movies and trying my hardest to get hold of the few I haven't got .
    It is difficult to say what I like most about Shah Rukh. I agree with everyone’s comments about his looks, his eyes, his expressions, his acting etc.
    But I think I love him more as a genuine warm-hearted, loving human being, who is so open and honest .

Though, the eyes definitely do it for me. They are the windows to his Soul!
    Photo0005.jpg

Anjali72, MaryAnnK, Debbie and 6 others thanked this.
  3. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

That's exactly how the majority of us SRK fans feel! his affect on us go beyond watching a movie and getting entertained.
    Thank you for sharing your experience :)

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  4. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Hmmm, Misty- my husband hears all about it from me. I narrate the plots of all the SRK movies to him since he refuses to watch movies with subtitles. No fantasies for me though, since I am a married woman!
    I also like even the movies where he dies. Maybe its because I always know he isn't really dead.
    I am very glad to have found this thread because its just lovely hearing other peoples stories.

Misty45 and Jasmine thank this.
  5. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

so did you watch the rest of his movies?

6. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

Thank you Linda. I think it might be more difficult in your state to find Indian stores or bollywood movies? have you ever watched SRK on big screen?

7. Shanti Chand

Shanti Chand BANNED.

yes, almost all of them and now I'm watching them again!!:) :p

8. Misty45

Misty45 Well-Known Member

Only Don 2 and I saw that twice in one week! Just missed seeing Ra One as I was recovering from a major operation and didn't realise that it was showing until too late! Would have loved to have seen that on big screen.
    I live in England, UK btw (we don't have states) and although there aren't many cinemas showing Bollywood in my immediate area, there are plenty in nearby cities.
    I actually got some of my SRK DVD's from the town next to me in a charity shop! There is a thriving community of NRI's here.
    Can't wait for new movie to come out. Hope it will show locally:bump:

9. rubyroo

Maybe you can get or make a fabric purse and then do a photo transfer on your printer. There is lots of info on line about ways to transfer photos onto fabric.
    BTW, your new avitar is just dreamy!:heart:

Jasmine says thanks.
  10. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

I'd like to try to do a photo transfer for the purse. It'll be fun to learn how.
    I ran across this photo of SRK today & loved it! He is dreamy!:heart:

rubyroo says thanks.
  11. nika

nika Well-Known Member

Didn't I tell you guys about my story yet? It took time for me, so if you're not patient enough just skip it! here it goes: :)
    I had watched about 10 movies from 80's when I was a little kid . As a child loved them. They had Madhuri, Aamir, Juhi, Anil, Govinda, Sridevi and Rishi Kapoor. Also some song and dances from Amitabh and others on VHS ofcourse! First time I heard about "love", was during a movie called "Dil" when I was 6! There were Aamir and Madhuri and I found them and the relationship really beautiful. Aamir was my first childhood crush! We all could see those movies were flawed. But just enjoying emotions and musics!
    Then my connection with Indian cinema was cut. Hollywood was the only foreign language cinema for us. We had no clue how Indian movies are changing. Just had seen some rare little pictures of their actors in some magazines. But all of us knew Shahrukh Khan even then! He is famous in some Middle East countries even if they don't watch his movies! Even today I don't have to explain who is Shahrukh Khan to anybody! I've introduced Bollywood to many, they asked me who this actor or that actress is, but nobody asks which one is Shahrukh or Salman or Amitabh or Aishwariya!
    So I was telling you about magazines... many of them were gossip magazines and they could easily make false news or fake interviews, and nobody would catch them because there were no internet line to search about celebrities. My cousin was fond of cinema. She used to tell me about news (most about Hollywood and our own cinema) One day she told me such a bad mannered star Shahrukh Khan is, how arrogant he sounds in interviews and he thinks he's the best and all...! (Now I know that was his usual sense of humor and if we could watch him saying all that, we would get what he actually meant! But even some Indian media have not been able to get his sense of humor all these years!!!) So I started disliking him! I said "How does someone dare to talk like that! What does he think of himself! He's not even handsome!" (Had seen few bad quality pictures of him!)
    Some years ago the same cousin gave me a Bollywood movie called: "Dil Ka Rishta" She had enjoyed it but was not sure if I'm gonna like it. After all it was Bollywood which everybody makes fun of! I watched and liked it too. We both watched it again and again! It was a flawed story (Now I know it was not a successful movie in India and definitely not among the best products of Bollywood!) but the whole thing seemed new for us and lovely to watch how Indian cinema improved since our childhood. It looked like a fresh new air to breath.
    Some time later another cousin told me she has an Indian movie called Devdas. I asked her who's in? She said "Aishwariya's there (I thought nice!) and Madhuri (Cool! Haven't seen her for a long time!) and Shahrukh Khan (I went like: no! I don't like him! How can they pair the beautiful Aishwariya with him? He's arrogant and he doesn't look good!) When we started watching, I still was complaining how I dislike him! But after some minutes I was like: "He may be arrogant, but what an actor he is!" I was completely in awe of his acting skills! I praised the talent more and more and even started to feel Madhuri and Aishwariya are no close to him, he's brilliant! It was one of the greatest performances I had seen in my life, so I thought maybe it's justified for someone like him to be a little arrogant!
    Then I watched KKHH and loved the whole thing. The music tune stuck in my head. Next was DDLJ. Again I was surprised how differently cheerful, naughty and cute he can get! I was wondering his real personality can't be like what I've heard. A serious arrogant person can not even act like him as Raj in DDLJ. I believe actors show us some parts of their real personality in their acting. Whether they're like or unlike the characters, they still can give you some clue about their own personality many at times.
    Then watched KKKG and Dil Hai Tumhara. Both I liked, but K3G was awesome. It had a different meaning for me because I had seen a similar family in real life. The emotions, the issues and everything was brilliantly shown. It was the first movie that I couldn't resist my tears at the end.
    Then I watched some movies in a German channel which started to air dubbed Bollywood movies and I couldn't understand even one word! Just fascinated with the atmosphere, colors, emotions, acts, music and everything. I can recall Mohabbaein, Hum Tum, Dhoom and specially Veer-Zaara among those I watched there. Also watched KHNH. Someone had told me about its story before and I watched it with Germen dubbing! It was in the last 30 minutes that I thought there couldn't be any better actor for this role in the history of cinema! I was wondering how can someone act like that? How can he look so real and so painful? How he uses his whole body? The eyes... The hands... Even the veins are acting! (I couldn't hear his real voice then which is one of the best parts of his acting!) I came to another conclusion about Shahrukh's personality. I was sure he's very smart and intelligent, cos he's a rare genius talent in his own profession. I showed my elder brother only those 30 minutes! It was in German so I thought he wouldn't sit the whole movie. I told him the synopsis and said: "Just want you to watch how Shahrukh Khan acts". He watched... and started crying! And cried! And cried! He had never cried over a movie before. And he even hadn't seen the whole thing! He started laughing at himself! 5 minutes after the movie finished and I switched off the TV he was still crying and laughing!
    In 2006-2007 I searched more about Bollywood. Got to know more about movies and actors and afford some DVDs. Most of the movies I liked was Shahrukh Khan's. Even my father who used to dislike his face started telling me: "You should buy only Shahrukh's movies. He's the best of them all" I read some interviews, again Shahrukh turned the only actor who sounded interesting to me. I was shocked to know he is a married 40 plus year old man who has two children! He looked much younger to me. I strangely got interested in collecting his pictures more than many others whom I thought were more beautiful and handsome! He had something in his face that didn't let me to get bored. He didn't look beautiful to me but his pictures and expressions looked fresh every time and different from others.
    Then the real magic happened: I saw him in real life videos!!!!! I saw him as Shahrukh Khan, the real man, the real hero! I remember it exactly... it was some short parts of KBC videos, he was the host in them interacting with people. I can't tell you how surprised I was looking at him! He was as attractive, as playful and as lovely as his characters! With no practice, no dialogues written for him and no movie being shot there he was the real charming! He was waaay smarter and sharper than I thought! I never had imagined him with such great sense of humor... and those emotive eyes and expressing face even in real life! He was too good for me to handle! And just the opposite of what I had heard at the first place, he was kind, down to earth and the most humble star ever! That was it, no way back! The more I watched, the more I appreciated him and am still keep doing it!

Anjali72, MaryAnnK, Karan#1 and 4 others thanked this.
  12. Jasmine

Nika, I loved your story!:cool: So, you've known him for many years. And there's been a process you have gone through to become the fan you are today. He really does stand out as a wonderful actor! His true beauty does shine in real life videos.

nika says thanks.
  13. nika

nika Well-Known Member

Yeah actually I knew him by face for many years but had never got a chance to check Bollywood movies! Still I'm one of the oldest Bollywood discoverers around my self! The main "process" started in early 2007, and 6 months later I found my self sitting in a corner translating Shahrukh's movies for people to enjoy them!

Jasmine says thanks.
  14. rubyroo

I devoured every word. Thanks so much for sharing it.
    Most of the movies you talk about that changed the way you felt about him are one I haven't even seen yet! Can't wait till I do!
    I have more to say but I am just getting ready to go out, so I will be back here later.

nika says thanks.
  15. Jasmine

16. rubyroo

Thanks Jasmine. I don't remember exactly when I got interested in SRK, but it was either February or March of this year. (I joined Planet SRK March 24th) So we both started our SRK journey at close to the same time. I can't believe you've already seen almost all of his movies. I still have a long ways to go!

nika and Jasmine thank this.
  17. Jasmine

I watched about one film per day until I'd seen almost all of them. I quickly watched all the streaming ones off of Netflix. I also got one-at-a-time through the mail from Netflix. But I was so interested in SRK, that I just began buying his films from Amazon - most of which I bought without seeing the films ahead of time -- which would sound kind of crazy normally -- but when you're talking about Shah Rukh Khan -- it's not crazy at all. :)

Misty45 says thanks.
  18. rubyroo

I agree 100%!

Jasmine says thanks.
  19. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I did the same Jasmine. Netflix didn't have all, so I took my list and just started buying them, never thought it was crazy! But now that you have said it, I realize I have never done such a thing in my life! But if it has his name on it, I need to get it. I've also bought much of the music from his movies........I used to get so exited waiting for the DVDs in the mail :p

You have so much to look forward to rubyroo........

rubyroo and Jasmine thank this.
  20. Jasmine

I'm collecting the movie soundtrack CDs now, too. I've got about half of them so far. And you'd think having the DVDs would be enough. But, I've also begun collecting the blue-rays.:p That, is truly being obsessed!:p But, I can't help it! And I have begun collecting the movie posters from his films. I've found some really nice 11x17 ones on Amazon. I've been getting them professionally framed - one or two per month - and am going to eventually put them around the TV in our family room. Just like you...if it has his name on it, I need to get it.:) (My kids all have Ra.One and Don 2 posters in their rooms!) :)

nika, iamsrking, rubyroo and 1 other person say thanks.