1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What made you SRK's fan??

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by annous, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Yeh Dil

Yeh Dil He is my live

Last year my husband died and I felt very bad.
    That changed on 12/03/2011 awoke my love for SRK.
    That night, I flipped through the program. Japan because the program was changed and it ran KKHH.
    It was the early scene where he sits at the bedside of his wife and expressed his grief and his love. The whole funeral was to be seen. It was everything that I have felt, but never put into words could have. At the scene, "She has something I have not the letters of her mother," with his eyes and the sad words, it was happening around me. I felt him so close. As a friend of me is in the hard times to the side.
    An angel on earth. And he is even now, my invisible companion. Always and everywhere.
    (I did not know who it was, but I was curious and started to google.)
    Every evening when I get home and I feel bad, I look at his films when I'm sad, I listen to his songs when I'm lonely, I read the Topics. Then I feel better again.
    How can a man one does not even know personally, only by his gestures, facial expressions and his thoughts as much effect in a human.
    He is sent to me by God to show me that my life still has meaning? He once said: "What ever you feel ... dance it.". That's what I'm doing today. I can only say he's right. It helps me a lot.

anya, Jasmine, MaryAnnK and 9 others thanked this.
  2. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

God Bless you, Shah has helped many of us when things have gone horribly wrong in our life. So glad you have found the forum it is a wonderful place to learn more about our angel, welcome.:)

Yeh Dil says thanks.
  3. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

SRK's charm has to be it. It was probably only after I started using the internet morenow that I'm in highschool that I became a die hard fan of SRK through reading up on him, watching youtube clips of him and viewing his pics. But I was his admirer/fan since a young age of 9 since I remember watching K3G, DDLJ and main hoon na and through those movies as a kid I was in admiration of his style. Despite only after highschool that I realised more about brand SRK and SRK himself, there was something about his movies (even though I only remember watching 4/5 of them before the age of 12) and his style in his acting that made me his fan from a young age.

Jasmine, MaryAnnK, Anjali72 and 2 others thanked this.
  4. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

very touching marion, SRK has that power to touch everyone's life somehow and in a big way.

iamsrking and Yeh Dil thank this.
  5. rasquine

rasquine Member

Ok so I'm here to ramble. Need to get it off my chest since I've got no one to spazz with on facebook and twitter.

I'm a reborn fan of SRK. I've always loved him since I was young but as I grew up and the influence of internet and youtube started to kick in, I got swayed by cute Japanese anime/manga and pretty bois of K-pop. My last movie of SRK was Kal Ho Naa Ho and then I got totally disinterested in Bollywood (at that time, new heroes like Hrithik, John and Abhishek were coming up and I was like pfft). Still, I've always listed SRK as one of my fave actors and he always had (probably always will have) a special place in my heart.

I think why I prefer him most over many Hindi actors is because of how real he comes across. I mean, despite the fact he's delivering perfectly written dramatic dialogues that one rarely utters in real life, you feel the conviction behind his words, whether when he's professing love or when he promises to exact revenge. The only other Hindi actor I feel is real is Saif Ali Khan (and isn't it any wonder they get along famously?) and as such Kal Ho Naa Ho will always remain one of my most fave films.

People often complain he overacts. It's true, he does ham a lot, but I think people should keep in mind the characters he's essaying. He hams mostly in characters that are larger-than-life (yes, even a Raj or a Rahul because in the real world, passionate men like that are rare). It'd be boring if he gives understated performances to a Raj or a Rahul because then you wouldn't walk away thinking 'how I wish such a guy exists'. That’s why his romantic persona is so strong as he gives these lover boys a very strong, on-screen image, which I think most of his detractors fail to understand. Saif plays his lover roles quite like that too, but he's not as intense as SRK and is mostly cute/endearing, and which is why I think people don't normally accuse Saif of overacting.

Personally, I feel that the reason why SRK’s acting is so real is because he’s mostly based them on real emotions. He loves Gauri madly which helps with his potrayal of lover boys. He’s also loved her passionately to the point of obsession, which is why in Darr and Anjaam he excels. In Baazigar he’s got a lot of rage, and he probably drew the emotion from the instance when his mother died and he was angry at God. In Swades and CDI, he was considered brilliantly restrained, but essentially he’s just playing a part of his real self (that unflinchingly proud Indian), and even he claimed it was so.

However there are instances where I felt his acting fell short. Like college Raj in KKHH, in which he had to be cool and wear tight clothes and he’s said before it was uncomfortable playing that Raj and it shows in his performance. Also in KANK where he plays somewhat abusive father; his portrayal was rightly considered over the top and rather fake. Another instance is Om Kapoor in OSO; when he’s playing the ‘cool actor’, I kind of have to fast forward those parts but I have no issues when it comes to his serious scenes.

Actually, looking at what I write now, I think I have a hard time buying his act when he has to be cool. He’s cool in real life, I know, but that is more of his inate personality, something that exudes naturally without him having to work at it. Although Don is an irony; SRK plays cool like nobody’s business but I think it’s because Don is badass cool rather than cool guy cool.

Talking further about Don, I think this is the one character that SRK has managed to create without much internal references (I could be wrong; mentally going through his list of films… hmm, perhaps to an extent, even G.One but G.One doesn’t require a lot of histrionic). On the surface, Don resembles SRK a lot – witty, intelligent, cool, charming etc, but Don is also unapologetically evil and is quite mad. The fact that SRK could pull off this character with such panache speaks so much of his talent, I think. I mean, yes, SRK has always been able to pull off visible/psychopathic anger very well (Anjaam, Baazigar, Koyla, Ram Jaane) and even caustic bitterness (KANK) but madness—restrained madness—is something else. I particularly love the scene in Don 2 when he said his plan is finally falling into place and his eyes… wow, really, they have a maniac light in them (in the old movies, the villain would have given a cackling laugh at this point of time, lol). Another brilliant scene is when he’s in Thailand and he tells the goons he’s going to the Italian restaurant after killing them, or that scene when he says to Sameer ‘I like love stories’.

And now I will get to another important, important point, which is his eyes. No other actor in the world could emote so much just with their eyes than SRK. Period. People get unnecessarily distracted by his eyebrows, ‘quivering lips’, ‘flaring nostrils’ and whatnot which is so stupid and thus lead to the ever boring accusation that he only has five sets of expression, blabla.

In my opinion, the thing about this whole five expressions thingy (which ironically was first mentioned by him, I believe?, and was then picked up by every media journalist in the country) is more due to the fact that SRK has extremely distinct facial features. Actors like Saif and Hrithik have one distinct feature – their eyes, and people like Aamir or Salman, though considered good-looking (general consensus, that is, not my personal opinion), do not really have outstanding features (if you discount Aamir’s ears or Salman’s hairline) and so they are seldom accused of looking the same in every movie (though personally, if you ask me, every other Hindi actor save for Boman Irani looks the same in every movie, and yes, that even includes the great Amitabh Bachchan. How does his Narayan Shankar look any different from Sexy Sam or the 1978 Don/Vijay? And no, let us not include his character in Paa).

So therein lies the fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you want to view it) issue with SRK because every single feature on his face is amazingly distinct – the curved eyebrows, the amber eyes, the big, hooked nose, the plump lips and to top it all off, the man even has freaking dimples. And so there you have it, these five features thus become a by-line for five expressions *rolls eyes * But honestly and seriously speaking, who in the world would have different expressions for a particular emotion? If you’re sad, you just simply cry and you don’t think ‘Oh, ok, now I shall twitch my eyebrows as such’ or ‘No, today, I shan’t quiver my lips too much’. If you’re angry you just lash out your words; you don’t stop to think if your nostrils are flaring more than usual or your cheeks are shaking too much.

Pfft.

Anyways, I think that’s all for the basic reasons on what made me a fan of the actor. Since I started watching his movies again last August after so many years, I have been trolling the net continously for all his past articles and interviews, which I couldn’t do when I was younger due to the fact internet wasn’t really big yet then. And now I’m a bigger fan of the person himself. I never knew SRK was this incredible human being, but I supposed I knew it from when I was young because I believe children can recognise inherent goodness in someone and probably it’s why I really like SRK back then. It’s therefore not surprising that even now he has a quite a fanbase amongst children.

Right, think that’s all for now. My chest is not so bursting at the seams anymore. If anyone’s taken time to read this, thank you very much~

Wafa, Prerna Dewan, Anjali72 and 5 others thanked this.
  6. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

Beautifully said yaar.:heart: I completely agree. The first time I saw him I was 6. I was always scared of the villains and negative characters in films, yet somehow, I sat there watching Darr, Baazigar and Anjaam, completely spellbound. I still remember my next door neighbor coming over to ask if I could play, and it was the first time I refused, telling her I had to first finish watching Darr (she joined me and was equally captivated :p). As I grew older, I always wondered, what was it about Shah Rukh that my six year old always-scared-of-the-bad-guy heart just couldn't let go of him, that even after watching the film my heart and my thoughts stayed with him...and the only conclusion I could come to was what you have shared, that childrencan recognize goodness, which Shah Rukh is simply overflowing with.:heart:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!!:)

RizwanaShahrukh and Alenka thank this.
  7. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

omw! :jaw: i think u had the best introduction to shah :D k3g entry was mind blowing! even till today :love:

8. RizwanaShahrukh

this is soo beautiful.... i want to cry :Cry: thanks for sharing :hug:

9. RizwanaShahrukh

debbie your story is soo beautiful and sad.... just wana hug u now :hug: i hope shah stays in your life forever... and dont forget we are here too :nod:

10. RizwanaShahrukh

same with me... :hug: shah is always in my thoughts 24x7... when im alone...im never lonely coz he's always around... i know it sounds nuts.. or maybe im not explaining it well enough... but thats how feel :nod:

Yeh Dil says thanks.
  11. srkgauri

srkgauri Well-Known Member

yeeeeeeeeeeees i agree , i remember i was 11 and our moroccan channel showed k3g , the firt half was shown in sunday and the second in monday , when i saw his entry i was amazed , i was like the man's got too much style and i couldnt sleep that night i kept talkin about it with my brothers we just couldnt wait for the second half

MaryAnnK and Yeh Dil thank this.
  12. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I am an American so I never knew about Bollywood for most of my life. A couple years ago I became interested in the British actor Toby Stephens. One of the movies he starred in was a Bollywood movie, Mangal Panday: The Rising. I got it on NetFlix and that was my very first Bollywood movie. I knew that these movies were different from any I had seen before, but I decided to just accept it for what it was, and because of that I enjoyed it greatly. Even though I have never been fond of musicals, the captivating joyfulness of the music and dancing was the best part for me. That movie starred Aamir Khan and I thought he was really cute- he looks just like a hobbit. And man alive what a magnificent mustache he had! The movie also had Rani Mukherjee in it and I thought she was wonderful.

The next time I watched a Bollywood movie must have been early this year. I saw Marigold (about an American actress who visits India and falls in love with a Hindi film star played by Salman Khan) and then Hum Tum which had Rani in it. I decided Bollywood was the greatest and that's the only movies I wanted to watch. I had seen MNIK listed among the movies on Netflix and considered watching it but hesitated. I don't like being reminded of 9:11. And maybe this is wrong of me, but I was put off a bit by the idea of a man with Aspergers Syndrome falling in love and getting married. It just didn't seem very realistic. However I saw some reviews recommending it and talking about how it was a different role than usual for the actor, who was a huge Bollywood star, some dude whose name I couldn't pronounce or even remember.

So I started watching MNIK, and I have never been the same. I think it was the wedding scene that did it for me. The expression in his eyes, his shy smile etc. Its funny that I saw him first in a movie where he didn't even do a single song and dance number. Then I watched it again of course, and was captivated by the whole romance between Khan and Mandira. Other things in the movie I wasn't crazy about, but that romance was to die for.

Next I watched DDLJ and by then I had read up on him and knew about the overacting complaints. I thought yeah, I see it and I did find him a bit annoying in the beginning of it, except I loved the first song that Simran sang where they showed him playing soccer and swimming and chasing an airplane. I was impressed by his vitality and energy. Then it got to the scene where he "plays" the piano followed by the song he did after that. I LOVED to watch him dance. I know I replayed that scene multiple times. After that I think I just fell in love with him right along with Simran, and that's how it started.

I have had to watch every movie of his at least 2 times. Some of his movies I didn't like that much the first time through, however I have thought he was wonderful in every single one of them. Usually on second viewing I loved every movie as well. (I think it takes me 2 times because of having to read the subtitles.) When I watch his movies, I have a smile on my face pretty much the whole time, and if I don't have a smile on my face, that is because it's a sad part and I'm crying.

At the start I thought there were some of his movies I didn't want to see, such as Darr and Dil Se. I got Dil Se because of the train scene and it has ended up being one of my favorite SRK movies. I found out that it doesn't matter if he is evil or good or how many stupid things he does, up to and including cheating on his wife or blowing himself up in the final scene, he is still lovable each and every time. I am glad I still have so many of his movies to look forward to seeing, and I plan to watch every one of them if I possibly can.

Even though I just love his intelligence, his cleverness, his wonderful acting style, and think he is the most beautiful man on the face of the earth, I don't think I would feel as I do about him if he were not also one of the finest and most admirable of human beings as well. No he is not perfect, and yes he makes mistakes at times, but just like in his movies, he is always extraordinarily lovable anyway.

I must say in conclusion that there can't be a better person to be a fan of. My interest in SRK has enriched my life. I know he hates the thought of being a role model, but he has been one for me. I am not tempted to emulate his bad habits, (well except for not getting enough sleep- 5 hours sleep or less is pretty normal for me too, but for me it isn't enough.) I am inspired to copy his good habits though such as working hard at something I love. Being an SRK fan is rewarding in so many ways, whether it's following him on twitter, meeting other awesome fans here, (I believe that good and wonderful people attract the same.) or seeing a new side of this fascinating person in each new movie, including the happily anticipated 3 brand new SRK movies that will be out in the next year or two, or starting to learn the graceful and beautiful language that is his native tongue, or watching RNBDJ again for the umpteenth time, every part has been a joy. (I can't wait to get my own copy of Main Hoon Naa- I promise I'm going to wear that dvd out!)

anya, Prerna Dewan, Anjali72 and 8 others thanked this.
  13. Shanti Chand

Shanti Chand BANNED.

I've known him just by chance, a couple of years ago, 'cos here in Italy Bollywood movies are almost unknown. One of our Tv channel began to show some romantic indian movies (cutting songs and dance perfomances and choosing just the ones italian pubblic may like!!!) one was Swades and the other KANK, but I must confess SRK didn't catch my heart at that time, don't know why, I just began to like indian movies in general and I downloaded a lot of them and many of them were with SRK. The breakthru came with DEVDAS in which I saw all his expressive potential, and I definitely, silently and deeply fall in love with him so much that now, I really miss his eyes, his expressions, his tone of voice in every other Bollywood movie I watch!

MaryAnnK, Wafa, iamsrking and 3 others thanked this.
  14. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

I loved hearing all about how you became a fan of SRK!! So much of what you said is similar to how I have felt. Shah Rukh Khan is so amazing! He has enriched my life, t00.

Right now, I'm working on "Khan-verting" my family to Shah Rukh Khan. One of my sisters is a total fan now. I've lent her my complete "lending library" set of SRK DVDs. (I don't lend out my personal set of his DVDs :).) She's now building her own SRK DVD library. She has six daughters and she's starting to show his films to them. It makes me so happy to see the happiness in her life because of SRK. My parents (in their 80's) have seen Swades. And next on their list is My Name Is Khan. I'm especially hoping my mom will catch the magic of SRK. Another sister of mine has seen RNBDJ. She's not a big TV/Movie watcher. But, she loved that film. And I've sent a copy of RNBDJ to California for two other sisters of mine to see. I've got a nephew & his wife watching his films now. My husband and children all love him. It's been especially fun to see how my youngest child - just four years old - has completely fallen in love with Shah Rukh Khan. She talks about him every day. Today, I took her to the Mall to get her a new wallet & purse. She found a cute wallet that she likes. But, she couldn't find a purse she liked. On the way home, she said: "Mom, I want a Shah Rukh Khan purse." I don't know that we'll be able to find one! :)

Prerna Dewan, MaryAnnK, iamsrking and 4 others thanked this.
  15. nika

nika Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It was wonderful to read as always. Actually your story is a reversed one! Most of us first had seen him singing and dancing or keeping his beautiful expressive eyes in contact with girls' during romancing them! So your story is special in a way. You found Shahrukh lovely and handsome in the very first movie without all these aspects. I think I can recall one or two fans like you who got to know him by a serious movie like MNIK.
    Best part for me was your last paragraph and specially this sentence: "I must say in conclusion that there can't be a better person to be a fan of." I believe it. In my whole life I was never a true fan of ANYBODY. I never believed in being a fan of another person. I just used to like people at most! In SRK also I didn't turned a fan by one night. But with him there, you have no other choice left but to appreciate him more and more and more any day! I've learned so much from him and his movies. I also do some art works, it's a different field but I even do share same opinions about art with him. He's a great inspiration for me whether it's his work or his life. As he said once: "I'm a good obsession to have!" He really and truly is. And I'm glad I was lucky enough to know him.

Anjali72, MaryAnnK, iamsrking and 2 others thanked this.
  16. iamsrking

iamsrking Well-Known Member

Shah Rukh Khan is the first and last one of my life of whom I be a true fan. I can like or love some stars but none of them I can treat as same as I do to SRK. ;)

nika, Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  17. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I love reading how everyone fell in love with this beautiful man. For me he will always be so special, he made me laugh again and hope for the best in people. I will never forget how excited I was when Ra. One opened here, it was my first time seeing him on the big screen. I haven't felt that way for many, many years! Every day I come to the forum and just think how beautiful a human being he is, how he has brought so many people together......hope some day to thank him for all he has done for me. :heart:

Baree, Wafa and Jasmine thank this.
  18. rubyroo

I am hoping to see him on the big screen in November for the first time. So pumped for that.

19. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Shah Rukh Khan is wonderful in Devdas! It's interesting that you mention missing his eyes, expressions, and voice in other Bollywood films. I've been a fan of Shah Rukh Khan's since this past January (2012). And since January, I literally have not been able to turn on ANYTHING to watch, EXCEPT for Shah Rukh Khan films! If the TV is on, and Shah Rukh Khan was not on the screen, the void would be unbearable to me. I cannot even contemplate watching something without him - I would miss him too much.

nika says thanks.
  20. rubyroo

Same here. I was at first planning to watch all the Bollywood films on Netflix, but once I got started with SRK, that's all I want. But he has so many movies, it's all I really have time for anyway.

nika and Jasmine thank this.