1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened by the river???

Discussion in 'Devdas' started by annous, May 4, 2006.

1. tanyak

tanyak Lighting up UR Life

Maybe this doesn't add very much to everything thats all ready been said here. But I've all ways found it a bit of a nod in the 'something did happen' direction when Paro says "Devdas" to Manorara when she asks 'do you know your husbands name?' Then Paro tells her "Why be embarrassed about asking for what is yours. Your married yet you don't know what a husband means." Why would Paro answer her with 'Devdas' if they hadn't already 'consummated' their relationship? And why would she think Devdas was hers? Up until that point all he had done, apart from the night at the river, was put a bangle on her arm.

Then, when she goes to see him the first thing he says is "are you all right?" That's an odd question for that moment, unless he is feeling guilty about something. Then when he asks wasn't she afraid and she replies 'no' that with him she's afraid for nothing, That's a huge statement for Paro, up until that point she showed lots of fear. When he comes to see her the first time she cannot even face him. When she goes to his house to see him she doesn't ask out right to visit with him she uses the excuse of bringing him shondesh, not even from herself but for her mom! She won't even go to the party she is so afraid. And of course that ends up with her and Devdas being together at the river. SO, unless she felt something drastic had changed between them, and they both now were bound to each other, Why would she all the sudden become fearless? (Also in the scene, where he is leaving his home, watch her face as he passes by, it's as if she had just been gutted. She looks like someone had slapped her across the face. It's so heartbreaking.)

If they didn't do anything that night,What in the letter would cause Paro to become so incensed ,that she would push him away when he was at her door asking her to be with him? It could only be when in the letter he says "That night, all sense of reasoning deserted me. I was left vacillating(wavering) as if between pendulous (loose hanging) scales." It's as if he is saying what happen between them was while, maybe not taken lightly, wasn't thought out on his part, either. Then he goes on to call what happened between them 'childishness' not 'love'. That ladies is a Slap in the face! I might not of taken him back either. ..............naw, I would of! But , back to topic. These are the reasons I feel something did happen. It's really very sad any way you look at it. And it is one of the reasons this is my favorite movie ever. :hug:

kahaanii2802 says thanks.
  2. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Tanya, excellent observations. I am in total agreement with the "something did happen" on the riverbank. Paro was convinced that Devadas was hers! All else paled in comparison!

3. tanyak

tanyak Lighting up UR Life

4. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

Thank you, Tanya! :thumb:
    I should watch it again soon and think again about it...

5. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

this is such an interesting debate! and i have to say that i agree with what most of u had said here, there was clearly something more than hugging going on by that riverbank! i've thought this way since the first time i saw Devdas. there are clear indications in Paro's dance, and the song her mother sang about Radha and Krishna, and also in Chandramuki's song later on. i advice all to read the previous posts cuz they are just too good!

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  6. kahaanii2802

kahaanii2802 Pagal Naanii

Very profound statement on Devdas - of course there had to happen something by the river - first the song and the heated up mood of Paro's mom brought me to think so and when you watch the movie more often you get all the other hints too. Gosh, I think I have to watch Devdas again!:couch2:

7. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥