1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened by the river???

Discussion in 'Devdas' started by annous, May 4, 2006.

1. annous

annous New Member

Hi all
    after watching Devdas.. I started thinking about the tragic story and what lead to such ending, and after reading the story of Krishna and Radha... I was struck by the use of that story in the song Morey Piya.....and I have a theory:)
    "something" happened by the river, that led to Devdas feeling all that shame and defeat.. IMO it was not just losing his love( that didn't sit well with me, since he hasn't seen her in 10 years, and he hasn't written.. how could he know who Paro has become?)... but during that song.. the repeated mention of Radha and Krishna's dance ..made me start to believe that Devdas finally fell in love with Paro in the truest meaning of the word near the river... and I think SLB wanted this idea to come through by the picturization of the song( the river banks, and the use of water in he scene)....

I made some caps of the song... look at SRK's expressions, the actions, Aish's face... and finally I left the subtitels on the last three caps..... think about it! Devdas was devestated not only because he lost Paro, but also because of the guilt of abandoning Paro when she most needed him!
    what do all think?

2. annous

annous New Member

3. annous

annous New Member

4. annous

annous New Member

5. annous

annous New Member

6. annous

annous New Member

7. annous

annous New Member

8. annous

annous New Member

9. annous

annous New Member

10. annous

annous New Member

11. katie

katie Member

Oh wow... those caps are soooo breathtaking gorgeous! Now you make me want to watch this movie again... Anyways, this particular scene was discussed so many times. I'll try to find the discussion and post it here. But yes, I also think that there was something more than just a hug happen there.

12. Meghna04

Meghna04 ChakDe SRK!

That's great Enass!

Devdas is one of my favourite movies...

I don't think that in this scene happened much more..

I believe that Dev and Paro developed their love and desires!
    He realized his feelings... and Paro? For her a dream comes true.. she was in love to him for a long time and finally he felt in love to her too.

I can also see -in some pictures of this scene- that he is really surprised about his "new" feelings for her! He's insecure, shy, unbelievable gentle but very provocative!!!

13. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

i've always interpreted this scene as being followed by sex. the lyrics, the story of Radha and Krishna, meeting in the woods by the river - away from social norms and constraints. and what is one of the greatest causes of shame in a conservative society (well, heck, any society) but premarital sex?

14. annous

annous New Member

and here is why Indian cinema excells in the sensual and erotic without being vulgar..... the scene gives the message without the need for nudity or clear expressions.. I remember watching this and feeling stunned by the sexual message delivered here... brilliantly done for sure.

15. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

definitely Enass - just the part with him holding her ankle and the burr in her foot!!! *sigh* very sensual and very intimate. and then the lamp floats down the river, signifying something else getting lost. ;)

i don't think SLB really got enough credit for this movie - people were too busy talking about the cost, lush sets, mob scandals, and whether or not SRK could compare to Dilip Kumar.

16. annous

annous New Member

think about the sexual tones in this scene
    -Paro pouring water on Dev
    -him disrobing her(very subtle)..starting with the ankle bracelet, the waist belt, and the necklace
    -Dev carrying Paro horizentally

and more and more...Guuuuuuuh!!!!!!!

17. layla-val

layla-val Active Member

I kind of understand what you mean, but wasn't the story about unfulfilled love?:(

18. annous

annous New Member

but here is the thing... it was not the platonic love everybody think it was..... it was still unfulfilled.. but there was a real and physical part of it.. this aspect is more clear in the book.. Paro's husband didn't sleep with her not because of his dead wife.. but because she told him about devdas, of course the author did not say if she slept with Dev( that would have been scandulous in 1917), but there are tons of indications that she did.

and I agree this film doesn't get enough credit.

19. Meghna04

Meghna04 ChakDe SRK!

Yeah, that's right Enass!

I've read the book too and I can say that S. Chattopadhyay never mentioned a physical love between Dev and Paro...
    ...nor it was for a long time clear that Dev was in love with Paro.

It was the contrary.. he was a guy who cares not too much about paro... he was a naughty selfish person!
    I don't think that there was a physical love between them because Dev mentioned in the movie and also in the book that he won't do anything to her if that can harm her honour. That would be if Dev takes her virginity.
    I think the scene at the river banks shows only a dream and the desire of a physical love between Dev and Paro.

Only when Paro got the reject from him to her proposition and agrees to marry a elderly widower, Dev realized his true feelings for her, but it was too late...
    Too late for him, for her and for this love.

And that is for me this thing with the "unfulfilled love".

20. layla-val

layla-val Active Member

I've read the book too and there was no mention of any physical love, and in the film when Paro met Devdas after his father had died didn't she say something like "I wonder if we had maligned ourselves the night (refering to when she visited him in his room) if we would have ended up together" (I am going by the sub-titles here by the way), which to me implied nothing ever did happen. I agree, I think that scene by the river was just like a dream scene.