1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of the end?

Discussion in 'Paheli' started by Alana, Sep 26, 2006.

1. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

I think the film cheats a little by not showing the ghost taking over the husband at the end (if this is what happens). Every other time we see the ghost turn to smoke when he comes and goes, but this time we don't. Let's call it artistic lisence. Within its own world it can have its own rules I suppose as long as they're consistent. I guess it doesn't come from any established mythology?

The film works nicely as a fairytale with many other interpretations sitting side-by-side. Could the husband/ghost split represent the husband learning to break away from the domination of his father and becoming a loving and responsible husband?

The 5 years could represent how long it would take Kishan to grow strong enough to stand up for himself and his family. We see part of him 'away' on business, however another part of him is the devoted husband/lover. It will take a long time to break away from his father. However as he falls in love with Lachchi so completely the process is accelerated. The son part makes inroads on his father's rule - writing letters home and eventually coming home early, risking father's anger. I love the scene where he starts to write a letter to his dear wife, looking uncertain and hesitant, then happily changes it to his father. By the end it is his wife who is his main concern. His vigil in the desert is when he realises where his heart really lies.

Is it significant that Kishan comes home (could read as 'unites his 2 selves') just as his child is born? He now has a family in his own right. The quest to establish the real Kishan is just a way of bringing the 2 characters into one for the story. The ghost discards the body he has been using and enters Kishan's body. Kishan is still in there somewhere, the 2 characters are one.
    Now Lachchi has the best of both.

2. Chandrani

Chandrani Ullu-Club-Cat

Chris I think you are right when you say that. That makes sence. In the tale, the ghost enters to the husband's body (after the bottle) and now they are same. So Lachchi has the two.

Anyway, it is a lovely fairytale.
    Funny there was a thread for this, because when I watched the film I was thinkig exactly the same. It must have a meaning.

By the way I was a little upset with the ending, because the man how comes to Lachchi says he is the ghost, but I was prepared to burst into tears and cry: 'Must they end it so that the Ghost can't come out of the bottle so I must go there and search it the rest of my life in that desert!' :lol: No, it's just I like sad endings in movies :D

3. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

the end was weird...i mean i reviewed that scene, and i could bet that the ghost entered the water bag... i was very surprised to see that actually it wasn't so...
    and another strange thing...ghosts "live" forever, trapped between life and death- so what is he going to do after she dies? hm? anyone thought of that? :confused:

4. padema6586

padema6586 New Member

in fact I like this ending
    why we always want see a fact , sometime we need live in dream
    I accept this movie and the end

5. Atina

Atina Well-Known Member

AW: What do you think of the end?

I admid I have not seen the full movie - I have seen the end from the moment where they go into the desert to decide wich one is the real son of the family ... and he (the goast) gets captured in a bottle or something ...

When he appears in the end of the movie he says (in the german version) something like : I am a ghost, do you think I am beeing captured by a sheppered
    hmmmm ..... it whas something like that - I don't remember the exact word, - but strange enaugh i never felt it whas so clear that it whas the gost

... and I just remember I wanted to buy Paheli so I can watch the full movie !

6. Lachho

Lachho Well-Known Member

i think when Lachchi dies he will give up kishan's body and join her.

7. Atina

Atina Well-Known Member

AW: Re: What do you think of the end?

no ... Dea .. you not ment to think of that :lol: - that's way after the movie ends :hug:

8. klouvios

klouvios New Member

Oh yes I haven't thought of that, even after death they will be together for ever and ever.

The end puzzles me a lot
    The ghost has entered the water bag, how did he come out?
    What did the sheperd do? He always knew which one was the ghost.
    The spirit of the ghost entered the husband's body?
    This is a folk tale so what hindi people say? :)

9. kahaanii2802

kahaanii2802 Pagal Naanii

For me too this is - like you said "dilos"

"the story of a woman and her loneliness in a house full of people, her dreams, her wishes, she needs dreams ,she has a husband very difficult to like so she creates herself a ghost..
    I believe it is the same person..maybe the husband will be a loving one when he can get rid of all family-father-money responsiblities and ties,
    everything is lacchis dream for me this is the paheli"

and also the story of the way of a man from son to a responsible and caring husband.
    I liked the end, because the two characters melt into one.

10. Atina

Atina Well-Known Member

AW: What do you think of the end?

I have seen the full movie now :love:
    and I have prefered to call him a spirit - rather than a ghost.

He whas a spirit (Translated: ghost, soul, sentiment, Lebenshauch, atmosphere, mood ... ) that became physikal by her wishes, - her yearning, because the spirit adored her so much!

So how can a spirit not "crowl" into a body, - when he's able to "crowl" in and out of a waterbottle ??? He's a spirit he's not bonded bodily

Paheli is a beautifull fairy - tale - like movie

11. kalhonaho

kalhonaho New Member

I saw it this way, or understood it this way: the ghost took control of her husbands body. This way she would be married to the same man, but his chartact would be that of the ghost.
    I've only seen this one once. But it's good movie.

12. TeraMeraDil

TeraMeraDil Active Member

I never understood the end. I thnk it was the ghost in the end but then what happened to the real guy? I liked him better than the ghost. :(

13. tanyak

tanyak Lighting up UR Life

You really liked the Husband better than the ghost? That's a first. I really felt that the husband and ghost merged into one. The husband was incomplete in the ability to fully love his wife. The ghost was incomplete in the fact that he had no true tie to her except his love. When they combined into one they were complete. :couch2: