1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of the end?

Discussion in 'Paheli' started by Alana, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Alana

Alana New Member

I watch that movie not so often, actually I think I watched it only once complete. It's nice and colourfull and a mystery.
    So althouh I don't watch it, the end gives me questions and I'm could spend a lot of time think about it.
    I thought about some theories untill now and wrote them down (they in german and I have to translate them) and I will post them later.

So my qustion is: What do you think happens at the end. Who is there, the husband or the ghost?

Please share your thoughts and write a little comment why you think so, I want to solve that Paheli.

2. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

Ha - now you got me, as Paheli is my favorite Hindi and ShahRukh film... ;) :D :D :)

The end.... it must be the ghost because he knows the name of "their" daughter...
    But I must confess, my english is not that good that I can say I understood every word perfect....
    And it's still a riddle to me.. the thing with the bottle and then the ghost in husband... :confused:
    I am curious for the german translation, how they do it...

One thing I got no answer for is the colour of the birds... green... blue...
    Have you noticed the difference... :confused:

It's still a mystery... maybe it has to be??

3. Alana

Alana New Member

Thank you for your answer!!!

At first I thought too, that it h to be the ghost, because of the name. And his behaviour. And of course the ghost can come out that bottle. Or the shepherd helped him. I thought of some kind of conspiracy, but where's the human husband than? And how could a ghost make a baby?

But than I started to think about more intensive. And I came to cunclusion no 1. That this is a metapher of human being. This man is on the one hand this busy husband, who fullfills the wish from his father. And on the other hand this living and passionate man, who loves his wife with all his heart. So when he's not busy he cares for his wife and when he's away or works a lot, he missed her and dreams of her.
    So after a while he have to make a decision, between love and work and decides for the love. He fights with himself (the thing with the bottle) and it seems first that the busy husband wins, but than love gets the victory.
    And when I have it in mind right, in the last scene he's first like the "human" husband and than like the ghost. Both in one.

This is not really round yet and I will work on it.

Secon theorie is, that the ghost is a dream from Lachchi. The real man is nearly the whole time away and busy and she starts to dream about the ideal husband. The nice ghost. This theory would explain how she could get that child, because it's from the real husband, but she dreams that the ghost is the father. Than she realizes that she can't go on with that dream and the ghost disappear. But after a while she recognize that she can't live with his human husband and the ghost comes back.

This don't work round also.

After all, both theories shows that the absence from the husband is just a metapher, because he can't take care for her, but he's there the whole time. And it shows that Lachchi is very strong and makes what she wants.

The last cunclusion is and that is for sure, the movie facinates me more than I thought, because I think very intensive about this story.

4. melan

melan New Member

It was the ghost.
    remember this is a fairytale so anything is possible, colors, baby etc...

my question in this is when the shepard captured the ghost in the bottle, the husband was out, how did he end up in the bottle instead of the ghost?

5. Alana

Alana New Member

Yaeh that's the question, where is the husband, when the ghost is with Lachchi?

A Brita, which birds do you mean. This at the waterbassin at the beginning? I have to watch that movie again, I think......

6. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

The ghost said in the end something like he entered the bottle of his own will,
    so it's no prob to do other things... but how and when he got into the husbands body... :confused: :noidea:

But as I said, I don't have the film in german and I don't understand exactly the english subs...

Has anyone taken a look into the birdcage?
    It is presented like a hint and the birds colours change...

Oh, I have to watch it again the next days.... :nod:

7. Adaneth

Adaneth New Member

I think also that it is the Ghost in the appearance of the husband. When the husband has the bottle in the hand i think he is come out and go in the husband. Also the bottle must be emty.
    He came out the bottle because he go in with his free will. that he say also.
    And he also say that he is the Love of a Women the Spirit. So i think he never was real in the way like the husband is. So he is the love from the women in the body from the husband. or so. I´m confiused!

8. Cristina4him

Cristina4him Inspector number 8

Nice idea that the husband was like an empty bottle..the ghost could inhabit. I had not thought of that theory. I think the ghost did get her prgenant while husband was away. When ghost took over body it breathed life/spirit into the empty shell of a man. after all it is a fairy tale and anything is possible.

9. Masala Maami

Masala Maami New Member

I still don't understand one thing. The ghost had taken a human form and impregnated Lachhi. Later when he entered her husband's body at the end, where did the husband's spirit go?! I've almost always read in fairytales that at a time, only one spirit can reside in the body, and that a ghost/spirit can pass through objects and cannot touch/hold things, let alone impregnate a woman!! But yeah, anything goes for folklore :lol:

10. Alana

Alana New Member

Wow I'm really impressed that it is so clear for you all, that the ghost enters into the husband..........
    And the idea with the husband as a empty bottle which get filled by the ghost is really good. This would answer maybe your question Masala, when the husband was "empty" than the ghost give him a soul.
    But can a human being be without a soul? But the ghost just stands for love than the husband suddenly is filled with love.
    But what was than in the time when he was away, who loved Lachchi than the whole time?

11. layla-val

layla-val Active Member

I believe that it was the ghost's spirit who entered into the husband's body, or should I say "possessed" the husband, which explains what happened to the husband's spirit :D and how was it done? Who knows, it was a fairy tale, but it was the right ending for me :thumb:

I hadn't noticed the changing colour of the birds Brita,:eek: I will have to watch it again to see :D not that I need an excuse :rolleyes:

12. TARA

TARA "K3T"-Member

Hm, all this views are interesting......I take that all more as a picture than things what happened. People always wish fror something, have their desires and hopes . So what if, the one who made this tale, wanted to express the fight in the husbands heart? The one side, who loves his women so much, who want to be with her, care for her, and the other who is listening about the fathers saying, to leave for the business far away.....
    I mean, a tale, a riddle has always something inside, what is a symbol.
    So it maybe, this is in this riddle the husband, the 2 souls inside his breast, and in the end, the love for his wife won.
    The bottle and also the baby maybe symbolic for the overcome of the other soul insice the husband and the the new beginning.......
    I dont get fixed on the picture I see , I see it this way.What you guys think about this idea?(please dont slap me.....:D)

13. Adaneth

Adaneth New Member

Great Idear but how was than the Guy who goes for Business? I mean in the End the two stand togehter for the Father.

14. Alana

Alana New Member

So in a way your idea is like my first theory and Itotally agree with it Tara.
    But I can also agree with the other ideas I have to say.........untill now I cannot really say: That's it!

Thank you all for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm sure there are some more people around who have something to say about it!

15. dilos

dilos Well-Known Member

16. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

this is interesting discussion. I think I was like you confused after seeing the ghost entering the bottle and the husband still still, how did the switch happen, but again I keep reminding myself this is the Paheli after all, it a fairytale.

17. Alana

Alana New Member

Yes it's a fairytale and a Paheli, but every fairytale has something to say and every Paheli is there to be solve. And I hate it when I can't solve something.

So ok Anne told me that the "problem" is solved directly at the beginning, when that puppet says, that ghosts could enter into human beings and now they start to fall in love with them. Means than, that the ghost goes into the husband.
    So when I accept that fact that the ghost switched into the husband, what will this say to me? We have one point in in that movie with the free choice of woman in a society where this is impossible. This what Shahrukh and the other say about it. And I agree so far. But to what agrees she? Is this an extramaterial affair, I wonder. Or isn't it, because the ghost looks like the husband? And after all she knows that it's not the husband. But can you have a affair with a ghost, or is the ghost just imagination, but than why can other people see him too?

So the point is, why is it a ghost?

18. Shina001

Shina001 Tina

Actually I didnt understand the story line of Paheli:( :(

19. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

You are all so clever looking at these different theories and ways of understanding the movie. I'm going to rush off and watch it again.

I have to admit my first viewing of any srk film is totally distracted by my being gob-smacked by his mere presence. It takes at least 2-3 sittings to actually look at the film itself

20. PaolaSRK

PaolaSRK Well-Known Member

I consider that is an excellent film my brother me brought it of gift yesterday and I have already seen three times him from yesterday,it makes me dream in which the fantasies and the dreams can exist if one wishes them from the heart.it has something magical,something mysterious and does so well that I also love a ghost but that is by all means