1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Unravelling the mystery that is Shah Rukh Khan

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Can' started by DianaDimple, Apr 23, 2009.

1. DianaDimple

DianaDimple Well-Known Member

Unravelling the mystery that is Shah Rukh Khan

Who better to talk about Shah Rukh Khan than his close friend Mushtaq Shiekh, who does not tire of writing about the superstar.
    After giving us a glimpse of the actor in Still Reading Khan, Mushtaq returns with Shah Rukh Can, which makes for a much lighter reading than the first book.

We bring you excerpts from the book.

The Others

What happened was this. In this world of careful cliches and PR-dictates, it was easy to come across encomiums about a much successful star. But somewhere during the interviews conducted for the book, the respondents would tune away from the practiced, well turned-out phrases; a question here or there would initiate a train of thought, they would gain an insight into the star and their relationship with him.

The title of the chapter comes from a movie, The Others, which has Nicole Kidman and... the others. It's a love story and a ghost story. It's about pain, loss, grief and, above all, love. The main character lives in an illusion until she realises that she is but a ghostly guest in the real world.

The Others: this is a metaphor that could be stretched to apply to movie actors and their characters. And this was a title that I thought would fit in well for a chapter where an actor is being discussed by his colleagues, where they state their perception of his art, of his heart, of his life and their expectations.

In the movie, Nicole Kidman (with apologies to those who haven't seen it as yet) and her two children live in a vague world, the unreal aspects emphasised by absence of light, the heavy fogs and utter solitude of the house. She is haunted, she believes, by the Others, the presence of whom she can faintly divine at times or at other times, it is thrust upon her.

Till, of course, in a reality-obliterating climax, she realises that she is the Other, a ghostly remnant of her physical body that had been caught between the planes of the real and the unreal. The movie ends with the Real world moving out, leaving the ghosts in their imaginary world, in the cocoon of the house.

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2009/apr/23sd2-excerpts-from-shah-rukh-can.htm

2. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

i havent watched the others! i was finding it hard to follow a little :lol:

3. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

Shublee ur avi! :faint: :flame: :jaw:

4. Ami

Ami New Member

"The Others" 1 & 2 are the easily the best sections of the book for me coz I simply love to read what his friends in the industry think of Shah Rukh. It's amazing to read some of their criticisms and realise that Shah Rukh has read all these... yet remain largely unruffled, secure about himself and maintain exactly the same level of friendship with them after the book was published. No disagreement, no sudden public fight, nothing negative happened. I find that most amazing...