1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Theme Devdas at boi mela screen tribute

Discussion in 'Devdas' started by phul, Dec 15, 2012.

1. phul

phul SRK my heart my soul

Theme Devdas at boi mela screen tribute

TNNDec 14, 2012, 03.41AM IST

KOLKATA: It is Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Devdas that binds Dilip Kumar, Soumitra Chatterjee, Shah Rukh Khan and Abhay Deol and if all goes well, the actors will be seen discussing the fictional character at the Kolkata Literary Meet (KLM) this book fair.
    Devdas has inspired generations of cine buffs and has been filmed in at least 10 Indian languages. In order to celebrate the story which has been an eternal favourite of filmmakers, KLM organizers have dedicated a special session to the novel.
    The session will be part of a five-day-long celebratory event titled '100 Years of Indian Cinema' that will form an integral part of the literary festival.
    Both Shah Rukh and Deol have principally agreed to participate in the discussion, Soumitra is yet to give his final nod, though a dialogue between him and the organizers has started. "The problem with me is that I shoot for several hours everyday. However, I must say that the idea interests me. However, agreeing to be part of a programme of this scale would require a lot of deliberation on my part because I will have to understand what I am expected to do," Chatterjee said.
    Plans are also afoot to get the audience an exclusive take on the character from the original Devdas - Dilip Kumar. Though Dilip saab will not be able to make it to the session physically, he is likely to shoot for a special audio-visual presentation on Devdas through which he will share his anecdotes.
    The 10-minute AV will be a part of the programme. The rest of the session will be a discussion where Soumitra, Shah Rukh and Deol will strike up a conversation centering on the relevance of Devdas. While Dilip Kumar, Soumitra and Shah Rukh have played the traditional Devdas, Deol has played the character's modern version in Dev D.
    "Besides the popular Bengali and Hindi versions, Devdas has been adapted in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Odiya and Assamese to name a few. He has assumed cult status. So we thought that it would be apt to have a session on Devdas as part of our five-day long celebratory programme," said Malavika Banerjee, organiser of KLM.
    Devdas apart, two more sessions have been finalized as part of the 100 Years of Indian Cinema event. While one will revolve around RD Burman, the other will debate whether films transcend books based on which they are made.
    If Devdas, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's immortal character, that has inspired generations of book and cinema lovers alike, is also your favourite, then you are in for a treat. This book fair you will be able to participate in a session that is being specially designed to celebrate the story that has been filmed in at least 10 Indian languages and also in Bangladesh and Pakistan. What's more is that, you will get to see three of the best loved screen Devdases, sharing the stage to discuss the character.
    If things go according to plans, Soumitro Chatterjee, Shah Rukh Khan and Abhay Deol will be present at the session to talk and deliberate on why this "lesser" novel of Chattopadhyay has been an eternal favourite with filmmakers. And this is not all, plans are afoot to get the audience an exclusive take on Devdas from the original one, yes, Dilip Kumar! Though Dilip Saab will not be able to make it to the session physically, he will shoot for a special audio visual presentation on Devdas where he is expected to share anecdotes.
    The session is part of a five day long celebratory event titled, 100 Years of Indian Cinema, which will be an inherent part of the Kolkata Literary Meet, the literature festival of the Kolkata Book Fair, that made its debut last year.
    The organisers of the Kolkata Literary Meet have more or less finalised the session and both Shah Rukh Khan and Abhay Deol have principally agreed to participate. Soumitro is yet to give his final nod though a dialogue has started between him and the organisers. "The problem with me is that I shoot for several hours everyday. However, I must say that the idea interests me. However, agreeing to be part of a programme of this scale would require a lot of deliberation on my part because I will have to understand what I will be expected to do," Chatterjee said.
    "Apart from the popular Bengali and Hindi versions, Devdas has been adapted in Tamil, Telegu, Malayalam, Oriya, Asamese and you name it. He has assumed cult status. So we thought that it would be apt to have a session on Devdas as part of our five day long celebratory programme - 100 Years of Indian Cinema," said Malavika Banerjee, organiser of KLM.
    While Dilip Kumar's will be a 10 minute audio-visual presentation, the rest of the programme will be in the dialogue mode where Soumitro, Khan and Abhay Deol will strike up a conversation centering around the relevance of Devdas. While Dilip Kumar, Soumitro and Khan have all played the traditional Devdas, Deol has played the modern day Devdas in his film, Dev-D.
    Apart from the session on Devdas, two more sessions have also been finalised in the five day long programme of 100 Years of Indian Cinema - one revolving around RD Burman and the other a debate on whether films transcend books from which they are made.
    http://articles.timesofindia.indiat..._1_special-session-dilip-kumar-shah-rukh-khan

RizwanaShahrukh, MaryAnnK and Alenka thank this.