The Purpose of PlanetSRK

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by Kalee, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalee

Kalee I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

The purpose of a forum is to provide a platform to share information, ideas and opinions in a respectful manner, while opening our minds to new ideas and points of view. PlanetSRK, in particular, is special, because it's not a forum dedicated to your everyday topic. It is dedicated to someone, who, through his goodness, has impacted all of our lives in one way or another. It is a gift of love, a kind of love that most people in our lives don't understand, but that we are fortunate to share here, with each other.

The beauty of a forum is that it is an efficient, one stop shop for information. Recently, however, this desire for efficiency, has taken another turn. In recent months we have noticed many members arguing within topics about who posted what first, why the other person's post should be deleted while theirs remains, etc. On numerous occassions, directly beneath one post, completely identical information will be posted minutes later, giving the impression that members are in such a rush to be the first person to post, they are not even taking a moment to see what has already been posted. While we are absolutely open to discussion, questions and clarification, in recent months, all of us moderators have received downright negative, hurtful and even accusatory remarks that we are deleting posts for our own benefit (ie so that our post will be first, we'll receive credit, etc). I have already given an example of what it takes to be a moderator/administrator and how contrary to what people may think, it's not a glamorous job, it's not a power trip, nor are there any hidden agendas: http://www.planetsrk.com/community/threads/deleted-threads-posts.25388/

This additional burden of having to explain ourselves for every deleted post is extremely exhausting. I would like to clarify a few things. 1) Please do not get defensive if your post is deleted. As moderators we also delete each other's posts and it is nothing to take personally. Posts are always deleted for either of the following reasons: negativity or duplication. 2) I understand that many members are motivated by their number of posts, and particularly, their number of thank you's. This is your personal motivation, and that's fine, however, I request that it not be the sole purpose behind your intention for posting, as this is where the problems begin. Members are in such a rush to post that they're not taking that additional moment to check what has already been posted, posts are duplicated, posts are deleted, egos are hurt, accusations are hurled and the vicious cycle continues...

I would once again like to reiterate, this is a very special place to be. For myself personally, I stopped talking about Shah Rukh to people in my everyday life a long time ago, as all it would ever result in was hurt. I am extremely grateful to come here and have access to every piece of information from detailed articles, to wonderful interviews, to awe-inspiring fan made art, but above all, to have a place to share love for one of the most important people in my life. And that should be the intention, to share...not for posts, not for thank you's, not for credit, but to share information for the sole purpose of sharing...for the sole purpose of knowing that what you have shared, is giving someone else a whole lot of happiness. I don't have any right to tell anyone what to do, or what their motivation should be, but I do hope this is a reminder of what the intention of PlanetSRK is and that we can all work together to make things more pleasant for each other.

This topic is closed for discussion, however, you are more than welcome to PM any of us with questions, comments, suggestions, etc.:)

I would like to leave you with a quote that reminds me that giving is not about getting credit, it's not about the benefit of the giver, but the benefit of the receiver..."For me, what's more important than what the film will do for me, the question is always to me, what can I do for others through my film." - Shah Rukh Khan

natacha, Wafa, prilvsrk and 12 others thanked this.

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!! Staff Member

Kalee, no one can put our thoughts in better words. thank you :)

skrogers says thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.