The Design Cell and Gauri's other Professional Ventures

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by SharlaJ, Feb 15, 2014.

1. SharlaJ

SharlaJ Well-Known Member

A Synonym For Talent
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 06:00 IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

Gauri.jpg

The reclusive Gauri Khan lets her guard down and talks about
    her new store and passion for the arts.
    [​IMG]
    Photo courtesy: Noblesse

It’s easy to call her Bollywood’s first lady or Shah Rukh Khan’s better half but the dynamic Gauri Khan has carved her own distinctive persona over the years. The talented interior designer is ready with her unique concept store aptly called The Design Cell located in Raghuvanshi Mills, which opens this Tuesday.

Morphing passion into profession
    Gauri studied art in school and worked as a graphic artist for years. Later, she joined hands with friend Sussanne Roshan and worked on a few projects. “I was always into graphic art. I started with Sussanne’s store. She thought I was creative and asked me to work with her and that’s how I started. In fact, I’m still working with her on two-to-three projects. Eventually I thought of showcasing all my pieces at a studio.

The store also showcases some of Sussanne’s pieces. Since December 1, 2013, I have been collecting beautiful pieces from different parts of the world. Within two months time I was ready with my collection so it was a quick process. My target audience ranges from middle to upper class. The range is affordable starting from `2,000 and going up to `20 lakh. Some of the pieces are inspired by different art forms and cultures. There are wall furnishings, paintings, floorings, sculptures and fabrics — all under one roof. It’s more of a showcase for an apartment than a retail store,” says she.

The Idea
    “What I have imagined here and created, is a showcase of design and objects which have influenced me from all across the globe. The idea for this space was to create a play of multiple elements which don’t necessarily synergise with each other, rather these elements play with each other, we have used and created a rough exposed brick wall, taken the roughness and the texture of it and juxtapose that with furniture and fabrics and curtains of the highest weave and quality that one can find,” she shares adding that , “Design is evolving in every facet, similarly I have envisioned and created this space to evolve and grow continuously. This space is a gamut of various design elements and multiple finishes that have been carefully and artistically put together to provide you with a distinct and unique appeal at every turn and nook you glance at.”

Personal style
    “I am not at all into fashion right now. Today for me it’s all about being basic and comfortable. I’m most comfortable in a t-shirt and a pair of denims. When I was younger I used to dress up but now I don’t,” she says.

Secret to throwing a great party
    “On special occasions I like to call people but I don’t entertain every weekend. Once in a while a party is a good thing but I’ve realised that I’m more of a home person than a party one,” says the shy hostess.

Shah Rukh’s response
    “He is also very much into interiors. He encourages me to work. He wanted me to start something which was my passion and take it forward. On Valentine’s eve I was working and I forgot that it was V Day. And then I saw flowers, gifts and a fancy new Merc outside my store. I think it was very sweet of Shah Rukh to do it,” says she.

Other passions
    Her envy-inducing art collection is like a cultural cornucopia. From contemporary artists to the Masters to 3D artworks — Gauri has collected pieces from every decade. Subodh Gupta is one of her fave artists. Besides arts and interiors, Gauri enjoys listening to music. “From ghazals to house music — I listen to everything.”

A fun mother
    One’s keen to ask how she is as a mother. “I have three kids, what do you think? (laughs). I’m not strict at all. I let them do what they want to do. They are extremely talented and creative. I’m a very lenient mother. I think times have changed and this is a new age. We grew up in a very conservative environment. You need to let the kids be themselves. There are no rules and you need to follow your heart,” she signs off.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-a-synonym-for-talent-1962386

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Krisi_love_SRK, nika, yummy and 9 others thanked this.

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

lucky lucky woman!!!! she said once, she never offers him something and he always offers her great and wonderful presents...

Krisi_love_SRK, Baree and Dea thank this.
  4. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

I think she deserves all her gifts because be wife SRK is not an easy burden. ))))

skrogers, Becy and Xeny thank this.
  5. coolcat

coolcat Well-Known Member

Wow she is lucky women

6. Xeny

Xeny ❤️‍ ART

I'm so fond of her creativity!!! Always was. She is such a cool woman for me. (yep, lucky indeed)

7. SharlaJ

Gauri Khan’s wanted a low key inaugural for her new store's opening
    Monday, February 24, 2014 - 08:15 IST Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 18:50 IST | Agency: DNA

[​IMG]

Those who are wondering why Gauri Khan’s new store opening was not star-studded with the who’s who of the film industry showing up to wish her luck at the launch, here’s the answer. The elusive Mrs Khan wanted it that way. So when her friends suggested that they wanted to host the opening of the store, she was happy to let them do it. Her filmi friends, who matter to her, attended the pooja in the morning before the shutterbugs got there. That’s Gauri’style: Understated.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainme...inaugural-for-her-new-store-s-opening-1964484

8. SharlaJ

Gauri Khan: Shahrukh Doesn't Overshadow My Work

Shah Rukh Khan might be in the spotlight 24x7, but wife Gauri Khan likes her privacy and doesn’t believe in making a noise about what keeps her busy. Gauri Khan, who is easily one of India’s most stylish women has a very creatively charged mind and recently launched her new store called The Design Cell in South Mumbai. The store, which is the brainchild of Gauri, houses design elements and objects from across the globe as well as showcases work of upcoming Indian designers. Gauri has also associated herself with an NGO called Round Table India and through this she will be supporting the cause of providing education to underprivileged children.

At a preview tour of The Design Cell, Indiatimes.com spoke to Gauri Khan on the inspiration behind this store, and also found out whether her superstar husband shares this passion for interior design.

Gauri, what was the thought and driving force behind launching this store?

It’s my passion! This store essentially showcases a lot of collectibles. Also I have Aakash and Poonam, two upcoming designers who will be displaying their stuff. Basically it’s about a lot of young and creative heads coming together.
    I would love it if any young, upcoming designers want to display their products here. If they can’t afford to open their own store, they can do a collection at our store and sell from here. So it’s nice to provide such a platform.

Have you personally been part of selecting what’s on display?

Yes everything. The whole store has been handpicked by me!
    A lot of the stuff has been made by me - The furniture has been designed by me and then there are also things I have collected from different places. So the collection is a nice mix.

And have you always had this love for interior design?

It’s always been there. I have been doing up my home as well as some other projects, so I have been in it for a while.

A lot of star wives get into the interior designing space. Is it because, you’ll are constantly surrounded by a creative environment?

Exactly. And it also happens when you travel so much. I used to paint earlier, and then I started this when I designed my homes. But people who used to come over, loved it so much that they offered me projects.
    So there is no elaborate preplanned thought behind it.
    It’s just that when people appreciate your work, the hobby becomes a passion and eventually a profession.

What was the reason behind involving this NGO in your initiative?

I have been doing projects out of my home for a while, but that’s been more personal. Now I am out-there. So when you do something in a public space it becomes easier to support a charity, and let the work speak by creating awareness in the media.
    The store as such is not directly linked to it, but I support Round Table and I am certainly a part of their initiative.
    (On becoming the Brand Ambassador for RTI, Gauri Khan says, "I truly believe in their cause of educating underprivileged children and giving them a new and assured future. I will also try and involve my friends and family from the industry to help in this great cause wherever possible").

[​IMG]

Nikhil Jain,Table Chairman Pune- RTI; Prashant Agarwal, Area Chairman - RTI; Akash Mehta,
    Tabler -RTI; Harish Shenoy,President - RTI; Gauri Khan, RTI Brand Ambassador

[​IMG]

Would it be right to call the collection an extension of your personality and taste?

Ya, of course, absolutely! This store is a blend of various kinds of styles and products.

What kind of positioning are you looking at for the store?

The price points range from Rs 2,000 to Rs 15 lakhs. The chair we are sitting on is Rs 30,000. So it's for everyone. I would say that the things made in India are really very well priced.

When you are selecting for your store, are you comfortable picking up something that may be creative but not very high-end or super-luxurious in terms of price?

Yes obviously. But you see, stuff made in India is always relatively cheaper than what you pick from abroad.

Sometimes star wives prefer to keep their famous husbands away from their projects. Kiran Rao launched her own production house as she felt Aamir Khan’s star power would be too overwhelming for the kind of films she wants to support. What’s your reading on star husbands overshadowing the work of their wives?

Kiran is into filmmaking, so there is a difference in the two scenarios.
    Shah Rukh has come here only once...He should anyways do that na? I don't see his presence overshadowing my work. I mean Shah Rukh is not going start making sofas and coffee tables!
    So he in no way takes away from the limelight. There is no way you can compare Shah Rukh’s works with mine. I am just doing this for my passion.

Any expansion plans for your store?
    I have been offered to open stores internationally, but I would prefer to talk about it once it happens.

Shah Rukh Khan always says that he is very simple when it comes to style, and jokes that he has just those few suits which he wears everywhere! Is he just being funny and would you say that deep down inside he is extremely aware about style?

Ha Ha Ha. See he has a style sense, but he has no time. If he ever repeats outfits it’s only due to the lack of time.

So is SRK interested in interior designing as well?
    He is fully into everything and interested in all that’s going on.

http://www.indiatimes.com/lifestyle...hahrukh-doesnt-overshadow-my-work-130497.html

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Dea, Krisi_love_SRK, niloofari and 2 others thanked this.
  9. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

Gauri Khan Lends Support To Round Table India
    Feb 24, 2014
    Mumbai : Having impacted the lives of 5.2 million children since inception, Round Table India (RTI) is pleased to announce that [​IMG]the talented film producer, interior designer, and style icon Gauri Khan has volunteered to become a Brand Ambassador for RTI. This exciting announcement was made at an event held at her recently launched interior store ‘Gauri Khan – the Design Cell’ at Lower Parel.

In the field of creating of infrastructure for education of the uderprivileged children in the country, since 1997, the year in which their national project Freedom Through Education was formally launched; RTI has built 4712 classrooms in 1720 schools across India at a total outlay of Rs.130 crores impacting the education of 5.2 million children.

On the occasion of this store launch, Gauri Khan while endorsing RTI, said, “I am extremely pleased and proud of the achievements of Round Table India. I truly believe in their cause of educating underprivileged children and giving them a new and assured future. I would like to reiterate my support to RTI in providing education to children and would like to support all their endeavors going forward. I will also try and involve my friends and family from the industry to help in this great cause wherever possible.”

National President of RTI; Harish Shenoy added “Having a celebrity desginer and a style icon like Gauri Khan as Brand Ambassador for RTI will help us further our reach and help us raise awareness about the biggest bane facing India today, which is Illeteracy. RTI over the years received generous support from many thought leaders & celebrities such as Kajol and Ajay Devgan, Puneet Rajkumar, Narain Karthikeyan and many more. We are honoured and privileged to have Gauri Khan support the activities of Round Table India.”

Source : Sachin Murdeshwar
    http://www.apnnews.com/2014/02/24/gauri-khan-lends-support-to-round-table-india/

10. mumbiene

Gauri to Shah Rukh: Do less stunts in the movies!
    Last updated on: February 26, 2014 14:37 IST
    Next

[​IMG]
    Sonil Dedhia in Mumbai
    'Shah Rukh is very romantic in real life. And he keeps making these cute little gestures. He's more romantic than I am.'

Gauri Khan gets candid about the superstar in her life.

Shah Rukh Khan's glamorous wife Gauri Khan is trying to step of his superstar shadow and carve a niche for herself as a businesswoman.

She has opened an upscale store for interior decorating in Mumbai, called The Design Cell. The store has elegantly crafted artifacts and designer furniture handpicked by Gauri from across the globe.

As we sit down for the interview, Gauri's phone flashes. It reads SRK with a cute picture of their baby AbRam. She doesn't take the call, and instead, focuses on the questions.

In this brief conversation with Sonil Dedhia, Gauri tells us how she manages her time between work and kids, and why she wants Shah Rukh to do less stunts in the movies.

Quite a few star wives are into interior designing. What took you so long to open your store?

My kids Aryan and Suhana were growing up. I was also busy doing up my home in Mumbai. Later, I got busy doing up our houses in Dubai and London.

These things took up a lot of time.

There wasn’t a pre-planned thought behind opening this store.

I always wanted to showcase my designs and I thought it was the right time to do it.

We decided in December to open a store and within three months, we have our store up and running.

http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-...want-shah-rukh-to-do-less-stunts/20140226.htm

11. phul

phul SRK my heart my soul

Here is the rest Of the Interview Posted by Marlies. Hope it is ok thati post It. :)

26gauri-khan2.jpg

You had assisted Sussanne Roshan with her store.

I had designed and kept some of my products in Sussanne’s store. My love for interior designing has always been there.

I used to paint.

Also, people, who come over to our place, appreciated my work and started offering me projects.

It’s a simple case of a hobby becoming a passion and eventually a profession.

You have personally been a part of selecting every piece that is on display in your store.

Yes, this store essentially showcases a lot of collectibles and I handpick most of them. I have been collecting beautiful pieces from different parts of the world.

Some of them have been made by me.

There are two young designers, Aakash and Poonam, who will be displaying their collection too. There is a good mix of various collectibles, which range from Rs 2,000 to Rs 15 lakh.

26gauri-khan3.jpg
    AbRam isn't even a year old. How will you juggle between home and the store?

AbRam comes along with me to most of the places I go.

When I was conceptualising and putting this store together, I would spend my mornings with him and would reach the store by afternoon. He would accompany me most of the time.

How have Aryan and Suhana adjusted to AbRam?

They love him a lot. Aryan is in London studying so Suhana is the one who spends time with him and takes care of him.

26gauri-khan4.jpg
    What was Shah Rukh’s reaction when you told him about opening the store? Has he seen the store?

He is busy with his work but he came here once. Shah Rukh has always been very supportive and encouraging.

He loved the concept. In fact, I have had offers to open stores internationally, and he told me that I shouldn’t let the opportunity go.

Are there any expansion plans?

We are planning to open another store in Delhi but it all depends on how much time I can give.

What is the secret of your successful marriage?

Although we are busy with our own work we still try and spend time together.

At the same time, we give each other space. I think that is the key to a successful marriage.

26gauri-khan1.jpg
    Shah Rukh is known as the king of romance. How romantic is he in real life?

Shah Rukh is very romantic in real life too. On Valentine’s Day, he gave me a fancy greeting card and a bouquet of flowers.

And he keeps making these cute little gestures. I believe he is more romantic than I am (smiles).

Shah Rukh has injured himself so many times in his movies. Do you try and stop him from doing certain stunts at times, or do you scold him?

It’s a part of his job. There is nothing you can do about it. We can only pray and hope that nothing wrong happens.

I don’t advise him against anything. Although I would love him to do less stunts. He is very enthusiastic about his work and sometimes he lands up injuring himself.
    http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-...nt-shah-rukh-to-do-less-stunts/20140226.htm#5

nika, Krisi_love_SRK, niloofari and 2 others thanked this.
  12. mumbiene

Gauri Khan- Elements of Design
    Posted on Feb 26 2014
    Brand : The Design Cell
    Management Agency : Individual Manager
    ACTTM:Gauri Khan
    [​IMG]
    Image Courtesy: www.facebook.com
    Gauri Khan, considered the first lady of Bollywood has stepped up with her interior design business and opened her new store named The Design Cell. Standing apart from other regular interior stores - The Design Cell will showcase exquisite interior pieces selected by Gauri Khan. The store will also uphold elements from upcoming Indian designers who cannot support themselves to have their own store. This will be a platform for the budding designers to showcase their design under her label.

Gauri has been in the interior business since a couple of years and has carved a niche for herself with her creative interior ideas. Previously, Gauri has partnered with another star wife Suzzane Roshan along with designer Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla and they came up with a massive designer store ’The Charcoal Project’. This effort garnered much appreciation from their intended target audience.

Gauri Khan has been in the limelight because of her star wife staus but she has also been quietly known for her entrepreneurial skills. She represents the women of today who handle their professional and personal life with dignity and responsibility. Although Gauri comes from a non-bollywood background, Gauri proved that she can sustain the status of being a star wife along with having her own identity.

Gauri Khan never intended to be in the designer business but she always had interest in this space. Whenever she travelled places Gauri would notice several different styles of interiors which eventually would fascinate her and inspire her creativity.It was when she designed their iconic house Mannat that she felt this can be turned into a full-fledged profession. Gauri is simply passionate about her work and is an individual who looks beyond her comfort zone and works towards expanding her horizons.

With the opening of her own store, Gauri Khan also took a step towards social well-being and has joined hands with an NGO called Round Table India. Through this she will be supporting the cause of providing education to underprivileged children. She has also been roped in as the Brand Ambassador of RTI where she will assure that the children gain a better future with this initiative.

Gauri Khan is a star wife, a mother, a celebrity but above all a woman with creative instincts tempered with a healthy dose of business skills. The Design Cell under her aegis is sure to motivate, inspire and facilitate an innovative spirit for all those who want to be a part of this exciting profession.

http://www.actfaqs.com/Gauri-Khan-the-Design-cell

13. Krisi_love_SRK

Krisi_love_SRK Well-Known Member

"Shah Rukh is very romantic in real life too. On Valentine’s Day, he gave me a fancy greeting card and a bouquet of flowers.

And he keeps making these cute little gestures. I believe he is more romantic than I am (smiles).

Shah Rukh has injured himself so many times in his movies. Do you try and stop him from doing certain stunts at times, or do you scold him?

It’s a part of his job. There is nothing you can do about it. We can only pray and hope that nothing wrong happens.

I don’t advise him against anything. Although I would love him to do less stunts. He is very enthusiastic about his work and sometimes he lands up injuring himself."
    My favorite part, very like how she talk about him....and she said he is romantic in real life ...of course he is.:heart:..Onse he said is not..but we know how humble and shy is him:p So sweet ...Happy Gauri and very lucky...Wish all the best and always to be so happy together and with thier kids.I agree with her about to do less stunts...but he is Shahrukh Khan,only he have to choose what to do..We can only to love him and pray everything to be ok and God bless him :hug:

14. SharlaJ

Gauri Khan: Red Carpets are a Nightmare
    By Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva | posted Mar 4th 2014 at 6:09PM

[​IMG]
    Gauri Khan thinks red carpets are painful.

The first time you set your eyes on Bollywood’s first lady Gauri Khan, you'll realise that the elegance and poise she exudes, is of a different nature. She is a classic example of an Indian woman who broke free from the 'housewife' tag and proved her mettle over the years. Star wife, mother and interior designer, Gauri is a woman with many facets. In an interview with iDiva.com, Gauri Khan talks to us about her love for charity, design and more.

Q Being a star wife, the obvious choice for you was Bollywood. Why did you decide to take up charity work instead?
    A The glitz and glamour of Bollywood never appealed to me. And honestly speaking, I didn’t want to go through the process of dolling up which today's actresses have to do on a daily basis. Even though Bollywood has been a very important aspect of my life, I never really imagined myself to become an actress. I did design outfits for Shah Rukh for his film, Darr and a few of his other films, but soon lost interest.

But, charity work has been an eye-opener for me. I took the plunge and I am not complaining. I am currently the brand ambassador of the Round Table Foundation, which is taking education to a new level and I think that's commendable effort in today's times. Our county needs to put education at the forefront, which the Foundationis doing a good job of it.

Q What are some of the charity organisations that you are associated with?
    A Helping out those in need is something very close to my heart. Shah Rukh is involved in a lot of charity projects and I am always there to lend a hand. He is doing some great work with Nanavati Hospital, and is also opening the Mir Foundation which is dedicated to his father. I can say it has been an enriching experience for me.

Q Being a career woman, do you have any success mantras that you swear by?
    A I have three success mantras that I follow - discipline, organisation and hard work. Discipline makes you a better person and the reason that I am able to succeed at work is because of my organised schedule. I believe organisation and discipline go hand in hand if you want to get your work done. Lastly, hard work which I think is the ultimate key to achieve anything in life.

Q You work hand-in-hand with Sussane Roshan. What kind of work relationship do you share with her?
    A Sussanne is a very balanced and easygoing person. She is not one of those conniving girls. What I simply loveabout her is that she is very good-hearted. We are doing projects together and I am very comfortable working with her. I can say we have had some great times together. I feel friendship and work can be mixed to a certain level if there is proper communication. I think that's what makes a difference and is the reason behind great work.

Q When it comes to interior design, what is it that inspires you the most?
    A I can say I draw inspiration from my travels. Be it London, New York or Milan, I pick up little things that allow me to come up with something new. From those tiny little bistros to the lanes of a small town, anything beautiful inspires me. I think it is an extremely satisfying experience to get inspired by local art and lifestyle of a foreign place.

Q Star wife, mother of three and a designer, how do you juggle all these roles?
    A Both Aryan and Suhana are very ambitious and focused in life. While Aryan is in London, Suhana keeps herself busy with her studies and extra-curricular activities. Luckily, I have all the time in the world to pursue my interests. And when it comes to the little one AbRam, I must say that he is a very happy child and the centre of my world.

Q The Design Cell is your new baby now. How did you conceptualise it?
    A My main aim behind The Design Cell was to give different designers a chance to showcase their designs. You can say it's my vision with different designs and concepts from around the world. The best part is that all the items are decently priced. So, anyone who walks in to the store can buy something or the other. And the good news is that we have already received excellent response from people. I must admit that there is something for everyone!

Quick 5

Q One thing that you love to splurge on.
    A Spa and massages.

Q Brands & designers you swear by.
    A I am not a very brand-conscious person. I like to feel relaxed and comfortable. The same reason why I stay away from red carpet events. Red carpets are a nightmare!

Q Your favourite style icon?
    A I believe in personal style.

Q One thing that’s a deal-breaker when it comes to style.
    A I always make sure that my skin is moisturised well and my hair is shiny. When it comes to style, my new mantra is kurtis and chappals.

Q What’s the best compliment you’ve received from Shah Rukh?
    A He thinks that I have great skin!

http://idiva.com/interviews-entertainment/gauri-khan-red-carpets-are-a-nightmare/28278

15. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

I am happy happy girl. I love Gauri Khan. May be even more than Shahrukh. :D

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    rubyroo and julianchiksrk thank this.
  16. mumbiene

Gauri Khan: Charity Work is an Eye-Opener for Me
    By Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva | posted Mar 4th 2014 at 6:09PM

Gauri Khan

[​IMG]
    Gauri Khan at the Round Table India Event at The Design Cell.

The first time you set your eyes on Bollywood’s first lady Gauri Khan, you'll realise that the elegance and poise she exudes, is of a different kind. She is a classic example of an Indian woman who broke free from the 'housewife' tag and proved her mettle over the years. Star wife, mother and interior designer, Gauri is a woman with many facets. In an interview with iDiva.com, Gauri Khan talks to us about her love for charity, design and more.
    Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva

Q Being a star wife, the obvious choice for you was Bollywood. Why did you decide to take up charity work instead?
    Gauri Khan

A The glitz and glamour of Bollywood never appealed to me. And honestly speaking, I didn’t want to go through the process of dolling up which today's actresses have to do on a daily basis. Even though Bollywood has been a very important aspect of my life, I never really imagined myself to become an actress. I did design outfits for Shah Rukh for his film, Darr and a few of his other films, but soon lost interest.

But, charity work has been an eye-opener for me. I took the plunge and I am not complaining. I am currently the brand ambassador of the Round Table Foundation, which is taking education to a new level and I think that's commendable effort in today's times. Our country needs to put education at the forefront, which the Foundation is doing a good job of it.
    Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva

Q What are some of the charity organisations that you are associated with?
    Gauri Khan

A Helping out those in need is something very close to my heart. Shah Rukh is involved in a lot of charity projects and I am always there to lend a hand. He is doing some great work with Nanavati Hospital, and is also opening the Mir Foundation which is dedicated to his father. I can say it has been an enriching experience for me.
    Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva

Q Being a career woman, do you have any success mantras that you swear by?
    Gauri Khan

A I have three success mantras that I follow - discipline, organisation and hard work. Discipline makes you a better person and the reason that I am able to succeed at work is because of my organised schedule. I believe organisation and discipline go hand in hand if you want to get your work done. Lastly, hard work which I think is the ultimate key to achieve anything in life.
    Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva

Q You work hand-in-hand with Sussanne Roshan. What kind of work relationship do you share with her?
    Gauri Khan

A Sussanne is a very balanced and easygoing person. She is not one of those conniving girls. What I simply love about her is that she is very good-hearted. We are doing projects together and I am very comfortable working with her. I can say we have had some great times together. I feel friendship and work can be mixed to a certain level if there is proper communication. I think that's what makes a difference and is the reason behind great work.
    Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva

Q When it comes to interior design, what is it that inspires you the most?
    Gauri Khan

A I can say I draw inspiration from my travels. Be it London, New York or Milan, I pick up little things that allow me to come up with something new. From those tiny little bistros to the lanes of a small town, anything beautiful inspires me. I think it is an extremely satisfying experience to get inspired by local art and lifestyle of a foreign place.
    Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva

Q Star wife, mother of three and a designer, how do you juggle all these roles?
    Gauri Khan

A Both Aryan and Suhana are very ambitious and focused in life. While Aryan is in London, Suhana keeps herself busy with her studies and extra-curricular activities. Luckily, I have all the time in the world to pursue my interests. And when it comes to the little one AbRam, I must say that he is a very happy child and the centre of my world.
    Rati Agrawal, Team iDiva

Q The Design Cell is your new baby now. How did you conceptualise it?
    Gauri Khan

A My main aim behind The Design Cell was to give different designers a chance to showcase their designs. You can say it's my vision with different designs and concepts from around the world. The best part is that all the items are decently priced. So, anyone who walks in to the store can buy something or the other. And the good news is that we have already received excellent response from people. I must admit that there is something for everyone!

http://idiva.com/interviews-entertainment/gauri-khan-red-carpets-are-a-nightmare/28278

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Krisi_love_SRK says thanks.
  17. mumbiene

I don`t knew that Gauri makes charity

18. mumbiene

19. SharlaJ

Films have never been a passion of mine: Gauri Khan
    By Shubha Shetty-Saha

Gauri Khan, the director of Red Chillies Entertainments hates the spotlight and largely goes with gut feeling when doing business. Being a mother and wife is far more important than producing films, says the woman who has just launched a state-of-the-art lifestyle store. The first lady of Bollywood speaks to Shubha Shetty-Saha

Gauri Khan can easily be called the First Lady of the Hindi film industry as the wife and better half of Shah Rukh Khan. Khan is also a director in SRK’s film production company, Red Chillies Entertainments. She is most visible as a glamorous “superstar wife”, at filmi parties and social events. But in real life, she says, she is much more of an all-rounder.

Gauri-Khan_1_50.jpg

As we chat about what must rank as a magical life so far, Gauri tells us about all that she is — an entrepreneur, a fashion diva and at the same time, a mother and a wife. We are at her latest venture, the lifestyle store The Design Cell. The products at the store are a mix of functional, quirky and glamorous. A bit like how she herself is, we ask.

gauri-khan-2.jpg
    Gauri Khan poses alongside a luxury car in Mumbai. Pic/AFP

No, says Khan. In direct contrast to her husband, who admittedly likes everything ‘larger than life’, she prefers blending into the background, focusing instead on the work at hand, in projects she is passionate about. “This may come as a surprise to you, but I don’t really like being in the spotlight. I run away from limelight. I would rather blend into the background and watch others. If it is to promote my business, I would do it, but if it is to just talk about myself, I don’t know what to say,” she says, flashing a smile.

Like most middle-class Indian girls, Khan says she didn’t know what she wanted to be as she entered college. “Every month, I would dream of different professions — a designer, a dancer or even a painter ... there were million dreams. This is what came out of all those dreams,” she says, looking around her store proudly.

“It is a passion, almost an addiction, for me to travel the world and to collect the best things from everywhere. I didn’t plan anything. I just started storing things at my friend Sussanne Roshan’s store. And then I had a eureka moment: why not start a store myself? And within three months, this was done,” she adds.

Having spent most of the past decade and a half bringing up kids and playing a supporting role to her superstar husband, she feels the time is ‘perfect’ to become a full- time entrepreneur. “Aaryan (her elder son) is in London studying. Suhana (her daughter) comes home at 5pm and gets busy with her studies. AbRam (the youngest son) is so young that I take him along wherever I go. I bring him to the store every day. He is around all the time so there is no hassle,” she reasons.

But hasn’t she been the boss for years anyway, not just at home but also of Red Chillies Entertainments? Khan catches us unawares with her answer: “Even though I am the producer of most films that come out of Red Chillies Entertainments, films are my last priority. Being a wife and mother is the most important thing for me. And then this store of mine,” she says. And before we can recover, she delivers another knockout punch. The lady, who is known as a fashionista, tells us she “hates getting dolled up” and going to parties. “I just do it when I have to,” she says.

As we leave, we ask her what kind of support her superstar husband has provided for her latest venture. “Financial support,” she says before adding: “And emotional support too”.

My favourites
    Film:
    The Wolf of the Wall Street
    Book: The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
    Sport: Cricket
    Destination: Everywhere. I love travelling

Inside Track
    Born:
    October 8, 1970, Delhi
    Education: Honours in History from Lady Shriram College, Delhi
    First job: Director, Red Chillies
    Mantra in life: Make your hobby your work. Everything else falls into place
    Best advice I ever got: I never listen to any advice. I do exactly what I want to do

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/films-have-never-been-a-passion-of-mine-gauri-khan/15145059

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  20. SharlaJ

Gauri Khan and Sussanne's Dubai outing
    Mumbai Mirror | Mar 12, 2014, 12.00 AM IST

gauri.jpg

Now that she is done courting with the media, what with all the happy tidings in her life, Gauri Khan is reportedly getting ready for her date with Dubai.

Encouraged by the response her lifestyle store has elicited, she is about to launch its overseas edition. It helps of course to have a second home where she could put up her feet after all the hard work in those vertiginous heels.

Several top-notch public relations experts have been sounded out and Dubai's A-listers have been asked to keep themselves free, as and when Mrs K lands. She will have some company of course. We hear Susanne too is looking at a Dubai debut for her store.

Both these ladies will be hosted by socialite Rekha Tourani, who is also good friends with Dubai regulars - Queenie and Manish Malhotra - among others.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=TOIEntertain

Krisi_love_SRK and julianchiksrk thank this.
  21. SharlaJ

5 Reasons why you Must Visit Gauri Khan’s ‘Design Cell’
    by Hanishi Shah March 2, 2014

India has an abundance of interior design stores; a flooding sea of retail décor has recently over powered the design field. Amidst all this competition how does someone stand out with a difference in such a demanding market? Well Gauri Khan the star-wife with a stylish edge of her own, has quite efficiently and easily solved this problem with her new store, ‘The Design Cell’ in Raghuvanshi mills, Mumbai.

dc (2).jpg

On the launch day, Nestopia got the insider glimpse to the nuances of this store by talking to Gauri Khan and other contributors to the store’s elegance. Here’s why we think this store is so uniquely different from the many others that claim to be like it.

0-701p.jpg

Designer’s Passion
    Unlike other retail decor stores where the commercial angle is vital, here at The Design Cell it’s purely Gauri Khan’s passion for home decor that has seeded this store. It’s the love she derived after designing her own house, Mannat, that made her take this initiative. In her words “It’s just that when people appreciate your work, the hobby becomes a passion and eventually a profession.” And we all know when a profession is born from passion, design gets a new dimension to it.

0-9_19.jpg

Handpicked and more
    Gauri Khan, inspired by the creative environment around her and triggered by the travelling exposure shes gained over time, has handpicked every single item on display at the design cell. Few are meticulously even made by her, like a ceiling spread that is intricately weaved by her own saree borders. The minutest detail and the most inaccessible corners are also deliberated by her own design senses. The ‘classy’ factor speaks volumes when you see this boutique in person. Talk about tailored and how!

0-138_19.jpg

Fresh Talent
    Not only is Gauri Khan enthusiastic about her own designs, but she encourages new and upcoming designers to showcase their work in her boutique by interestingly blending the products together to compliment her own design concepts. “Basically it’s about a lot of young and creative heads coming together” according to her. Poonam Lunawat is the brainchild behind the artifact display at the store, with lighting done by Akash Mehta and wallpapers by Mittul Shah. Gauri Khan

0-28_19.jpg

Design inspirations
    There’s so much that meets the eye here, the set up unlike a retail decor store is dealt with so beautifully that the various collectibles put together make a space of their own. What is is rather commendable is how we see elements from contrasting styles and conflicting themes with unpredictable combinations look so impeccably stylish and complement every element with another so flawlessly. It can inspire not only home owners but also designers that walk in.

0-91_19.jpg

Holistic ‘Looks’
    Not only is the Design Cell different from other decor stores in its collection but also how its all put together makes this ‘Design Cell’ so unique. Selling products is secondary but giving the visitor a thematic look in a holistic feel is the real point. Hence as pointed out by Akash Mehta even the lighting does not focus on individual products but adds an ambient homely feel to the space with indirect hues. It encourages home owners to pick products not singly but as entire looks of complementing products to drive thematic conceptualizations to ones house.

0-92_20.jpg

http://nestopia.com/blog/5-reasons-why-you-must-visit-gauri-khans-design-cell/

Krisi_love_SRK and Alenka thank this.