1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Student Of the Year (New Movie - Directed by Karan Johar, Produced by Kjo & SRK )

Discussion in 'Movies N-S' started by danshula, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

kjohar25 Karan Johar

STUDENT OF THE YEAR...kickstarts mid AUG...and will release mid 2012...am diecting after 2 years!! Nervous and excited....

Elahe and nika thank this.
  2. Number8

Number8 Well-Known Member

Subhash K Jha | Jul 7, 2011, 10.19am IST

If you thought that Karan Johar's upcoming production Student Of The Year will be another Shah Rukh Khan starrer, then you are in for a surprise. For the first time in Johar's career, his star actor will not be featured. Instead, Johar and SRK have decided to share space only behind-the scenes as co-producers of the film.

Even though Johar tailor-made the role of the dean in the film for SRK, the two best friends mutually decided that the character was just not the right fit. And filling in for SRK is the actor's close friend, Rishi Kapoor. Interestingly, Rishi was one of the first actors that SRK had an opportunity to work with.

In fact, SRK marked his debut in Bollywood in the 1992 Raj Kanwar film, Deewana, opposite Rishi. The film catapulted SRK to stardom. And now, SRK's career seems to be making a full circle, as he opts out of the film to make way for the veteran actor.

A source told us, "Karan had specially written the part for Shah Rukh. For him it was unimaginable to direct a film that doesn't feature the actor. The role of the dean was specially written for Shah Rukh. But finally SRK and Karan mutually decided that the actor should not take on the role."

Considering the personal and professional rapport SRK and Johar share, it is no surprise that the industry has been abuzz with speculation about the actor's reasons for opting out of Student Of The Year. The most rumoured reason seems to point at the uncanny resemblance of the role to Amitabh Bachchan's part in Aditya Chopra's Mohabbatein.

However, sources say that SRK felt that he was not the right age to play the role and Johar seemed to have echoed similar sentiments. When asked if SRK will make a cameo appearance for a touch of good luck, Johar said, "He's the co-producer. What more luck could I hope for? But no, he won't be in the film.

Let me tell you though that Rishi Kapoor has the most important role in Student Of The Year. Chintu Uncle is doing two films for Dharma - Agneepath and Student Of The Year."

Looks like whatever transpired after Koffee With Karan, when Deepika Padukone and Sonam Kapoor took their opportunity to character bash Rishi's son Ranbir, seems to be a thing of the past.

Rishi will feature alongside the three newcomers David Dhawan's son Varun Dhawan, Mahesh Bhatt-Soni Razdan's daughter Aliya Bhatt and Siddharth Malhotra.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...n-Johars-star-anymore/articleshow/9133882.cms

Rishi Kapoor to feature in Karan Johar's Student Of The Year
    By Bollywood Hungama News Network, July 7, 2011 - 17:48 IST

By now its common knowledge that Karan Johar's next directorial venture Student Of The Year stars debutants Varun Dhawan, Siddharth Malhotra and Alia Bhatt. There was also strong speculation that Karan's good friend Shah Rukh Khan would also be seen in the film. However that is not to be. Shah Rukh won't be acting in the film and would just be co-producing the venture with Karan Johar.

Meanwhile Karan has gone ahead and signed veteran actor Rishi Kapoor to play an important role in the film. Incidentally Rishi also features in Karan Johar's remake of Agneepath which stars Hrithik Roshan and Priyanka Chopra.

Student Of The Year goes on floors on 16th August this year and will release in mid 2012.

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/2011/07/07/15987/index.html

jg2k and SRKdream thank this.
  3. frenchfan

frenchfan mornings best dealt with dark as nite coffee.

Gosh !:Cry:

Let's finish this one FAST then Kjo :( and don't make us wait 3 years before the next one ! :boink:

4. mumbiene

KJo's 'Student of the Year' goes on floors

ibnlive.com

Updated Aug 02, 2011 at 04:08pm IST
    Mumbai: Karan Johar finally takes a break from script-writing to direct 'Student Of The Year' co-produced by Dharma Productions and Red Chillies.
    His last directorial, 'My Name Is Khan' was based on a sensitive topic. However, the director decides to slip into his comfort zone with 'Student Of The Year'. The director said that 'Student Of The Year' will be a song and dance film.
    The director announces the shoot of the film on a micro-blogging site. He tweets, "I start my shoot for SOTY in 2 weeks...if I am nervous I wonder what the 3 first timers are feeling?? "(sic)
    The film is set to star newbies, Varun Dhawan (Son of David Dhawan), Alia Bhatt (daughter of Mahesh Bhatt) and Siddharth Malhotra. While he has never worked with Alia; Varun and Siddharth have been Karan's assistant directors in 'My Name Is Khan'.
    The film is set to go on floors by August 16th. And the music will be composed by Vishal and Shekhar.
    Besides being a producer, it's not clear if Shah Rukh Khan will be playing any role or doing a special appearance, but Kajol will be making an appearance in the film.
    This is ideally Karan Johar's first directorial project without Shah Rukh Khan in the lead role. Only time will tell if KJo can recreate the magic he did with 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' in 1998.
    http://ibnlive.in.com/news/kjos-student-of-the-year-goes-on-floors/172442-8-66.html

SRKdream and nika thank this.
  5. MeryamaSRK

MeryamaSRK DON-ish

To be Honest? I was upset when I first heard of this, that SRK wont be in SOTY...Now, I think it's for the best, let SRK work with some of the other "talented" filmmakers for God's sake...

6. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

i definitely do not want SRK to star in high school based icky movies thanks.
    these kinds of flicks are so.... :puke:
    they dont even work in india anyway.

i want him to do Xtreme City. what happened to that :pout:

7. MeryamaSRK

MeryamaSRK DON-ish

I ask myself that question every single day. U have Nooo idea how badly I want Srk in that film!

8. frenchfan

frenchfan mornings best dealt with dark as nite coffee.

well, in my opinion nobody makes Shah shine on screen like Kjo... so whatever the film is about, I feel sad to think that I'll have to watch a Karan Johar 's film WITHOUT Shah Rukh Khan... :(... wait, actually, maybe I won't watch it at all :(
    I really really hope they'll do more together :pray2:

9. mumbiene

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Karan Johar's STUDENT OF THE YEAR hits the floor

August 6, 2011 12:37:51 PM IST
    Glamsham Editorial

[​IMG]

view STUDENT OF THE YEAR posters

Kuch kuch hota hai Anjali...tum nahi samjogi! Almost a decade has passed since the KUCH KUCH HOTA HAI or the K2H2 phenomenon, as it was popularly known back then, swept the nation and there are still so many of us who swear by the lyrics and dialogues from the movie.

Karan Johar has decided that it's time to get the nation to swoon to his favorite genre of film making - song and dance, once again. And thus he has announced that his next directorial venture, STUDENT OF THE YEAR is going to hit the floor in just two weeks' time. 'Rahul, Anjali and Tina' had become household names back then with KUCH KUCH HOTA HAI and the cast of STUDENT OF THE YEAR - Varun Dhawan (son of David Dhawan), Alia Bhatt (daughter of Mahesh Bhatt) and Siddharth Malhotra shall definitely hope and believe that it is their time in the sun now.

There is a definite buzz about the movie with Karan Johar being quoted to say, "If I am nervous I wonder what the 3 first timers are feeling?"

Now all that we await is to know the result of this question - The 'Student of the Year' award goes to..
    http://www.glamsham.com/movies/scoo...student-of-the-year-hits-the-floor-081102.asp

10. mumbiene

15_08_2011_540_004.jpg

Can’t remake Kuch Kuch Hota Hai: Karan Johar
    Roshmila Bhattacharya, Hindustan Times
    Mumbai, August 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    First Published: 15:43 IST(15/8/2011)
    Last Updated: 15:52 IST(15/8/2011)

Film Director Karan Johar on the sets of his television chat show, Koffee with Karan....
    It’s been a year-and-a-half since My Name Is Khan released and Karan Johar is finally ready to direct again. Student Of The Year starts rolling on August 16. “I’m excited and nervous because this time I’m launching three newcomers — Siddharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt. And since this is the first time I’m working with debutants so I feel like one myself. We’ll make a beginning together,” says the filmmaker.

“Thank God, we’re starting with a big song, the way we did in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (KKHH, 1998) and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (K3G, 2001). That will give the actors a chance to settle into their roles and with Farah (choreographer Farah Khan) in charge for six days, I can also ease in slowly.”
    Karan rubbishes rumours that the campus caper is a desi High School Musical or a rehashed KKHH. K3G and KKHH, he points out, are playing on TV every weekend on some channel or the other. “I’m told they are the most viewed films on Indian TV and the ratings are consistently high. It’s gratifying to know that they’ve aged well and passed the test of time. But a lot has changed in the 13 years since we made KKHH. Youngsters won’t connect with bubblegum romance,” he reasons.
    He points out that love today has lost its surprise element and its sense of awe. Young people no longer wonder about what their beloved is doing when they are away, and worry about whom they are with. Thanks to mobile phones, Skype and iPads, they are always in touch. “The overdose of information and constant communication has taken the beauty of romance out of relationships. The innocence is gone too,” he sighs. “Even I am no longer as innocent as I was during KKHH. I’m worldly wise and more cynical. So, the syntax and tonality of this campus movie will be very different.”
    Waiving away any unfair comparisons with Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol who are “legends now”, he asserts that Siddharth, Varun and Alia are individuals in their own right, who need to be applauded for their strengths and forgiven for their weaknesses. “It would have been easy for me to put together a mega project with big names. But after My Name Is Khan, I realised the only way I could challenge myself as a filmmaker was by working with newcomers,” he says.
    Interestingly, this is the first time Shah Rukh will not feature in a Karan Johar movie, even in a cameo or an item number. “He has a bigger, more responsible role to play; that of a producer. He is co-producing the film with me.” Quiz him on his days as a student, and he admits he was the bright academic sort, who focused on topping his class.

“Since I was overweight, sports was not my scene. So what I couldn’t do on the football field or in a 100-metre dash, I tried to compensate for in my exam papers. And I ended up missing out on all the fun,” he says. “If I ever have a child of my own, I’ll make sure that for him or her, academics is not the only priority.”
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/enter...uch-Hota-Hai-Karan-Johar/Article1-733562.aspx

SRKdream and Ishq19 thank this.
  11. Becy

Becy Well-Known Member

Karan Johar stands by Farah Khan

Despite the fallout between SRK and Farah Khan, Karan Johar never abandoned her. In fact he wanted Farah to choreograph the songs for Student Of The Year but Farah has her hands full with Just Dance and House Full 2

Upala K Basu I TNN

Posted On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 at 04:11:18 PM

While Shah Rukh Khan and Farah Khan may have had a fallout and are not working together now, one person who is a good friend of SRK's, Karan Johar, has stood by Farah like a rock through her trying times.

Today Farah is choreographing the first song in Karan's directorial venture Student Of The Year starring the three debutantes Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt and Siddharth Malhotra.

Says a source on the sets, "Karan's Student Of The Year rolls from today. Apart from it being Karan's first day on the sets Farah also is shooting the first song which revolves around a wedding and sangeet sequence.

Though SRK and Farah drifted apart in the last couple of years Karan (Shah Rukh's best friend) and Farah have remained consistently in touch. In fact Farah has always choreographed the songs in Karan's films so it was unthinkable for the filmmaker to start the film and shoot any songs without her.

Karan in fact wanted her to shoot all the songs in his films but Farah is so busy with the shooting for her TV show Just Dance and choreographing songs for House Full 2 that she just didn't have the time."

The source adds that Farah and Karan are extremely fond of each other and initially after Farah's fall out with SRK though there was an awkwardness between the two, shortly after both spoke to each other and sorted out everything.

"Farah, Karan and another close friend of theirs, Kaajal Anand is often at Farah's house playing board games like Trivial Pursuit along with Malaika Arora Khan, Riteish Deshmukh, Rahul Khanna and designer Vikram Phadnis. They call themselves the Games Gang."

http://mumbaimirror.com/article/30/...bab3ebc/Karan-Johar-stands-by-Farah-Khan.html

12. mumbiene

SRK, Farah cheer for Karan

Upala KBR, TNN | Aug 18, 2011, 12.00AM IST

On Tuesday, when KJo returned to set to direct his next film, almost 50 people turned up to wish him luck.

Shah Rukh Khan (also the co-producer of Karan Johar's film) was the first to turn up and cheer KJo, and he also greeted Farah Khan (who is choreographing songs for the film) warmly. While Yash Chopra directed the first shot, Parmeshwar Godrej did the mahurat shot. Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif, who were shooting close by, also stopped by the set.

Says Karan, "Everyone we love was here to give us their blessings and good wishes. It felt great to have Yash uncle direct the shot. I consider Parmeshwar, an old family friend, my lucky mascot. So, she gave the mahurat shot. She had given the mahurat shot in my first film Kuch Kuch Hota Hai too. Everyone - from actor Varun's parents (David and Lali Dhawan) to Siddharth Malhotra's parents and Alia Bhatt's mom Soni Razdan - was there, apart from my entire production staff. There was a warm feeling and amazing energy on the sets with the parents getting emotional."

When asked if he would miss directing a film without SRK, he says emotionally, "Of course! He's a big support and his presence was a blessing."

KJo and Farah come together after My Name Is Khan in 2010 for which Farah had choreographed the song Sajda song.

Farah says, "On Monday it was like one big party. Karan said he hadn't invited anyone but there were almost 50 guests - all called by Karan. He kept calling me the party police as I wasn't allowing anyone to be distracted and was monitoring everything."

Despite the jokes and the light-hearted teasing they share, when it comes to work the duo are deadly serious. Farah and Karan's professional relationship started from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Karans adds, "Farah and I are a riot combination. Till now we must have done over 40 songs together. It felt great to be back on sets with her. With such a young crowd on the set, I felt as if I felt like an uncle while Farah was the aunty!"

It had to be asked. Since they've worked together on films for 15 years, who is the boss on the sets? Karan laughs, "Oh Farah is undoubtedly the boss and I am her assistant on the sets. She is very demanding!"

Farah adds, "Karan trusts me to do my job though I am very clear it's his vision and so film so I get his approval on the whole concept and movements before I okay the song."
    Farah recalls, she had also choreographed for his father's production, Duplicate starring SRK. " We still pull each others legs and people think we are Laurel and Hardy the way we make fun of each other and pass comments. I can tell him anything and so can he."
    She and Karan have always shot together with Shah Rukh Khan. Did she miss him on the first day? "Shah Rukh was here to wish us. But I guess it did feel different"time..." Farah grins.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Farah-cheer-for-Karan/articleshow/9635149.cms

Ishq19 says thanks.
  13. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I knew it!! this is at same time when the stories in the media broke about a rift between srk/farah but I saw a picture of them working together on set of MNIK.

14. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

this is the first time I read about the "mahurat shot". didn't know they have directors for only a shot/first shot or whatever. Karan makes me laugh sometimes with his superstition

15. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

this article is useless. more PR for KJO's upcoming salman/katrina film than anything that has to do with SRK.
    Please be selective with posting articles.

danshula says thanks.
  16. Devdas forever

Devdas forever Well-Known Member

Shah Rukh Khan to do a cameo in Student Of The Year

VICKEY LALWANI ,Mumbai Mirror | Oct 12, 2011, 11.06AM IST

For the first time in Karan Johar's filmmaking career, he had decided that his production Student Of The Year would not be another Shah Rukh Khan starrer. In fact, the best friends had mutually agreed to share only behind-the-scenes space, as co-producers of the film (Mumbai Mirror, July 7, 2011). However, it seems that Johar is not yet ready to give up his lucky charm,

A source informed Mumbai Mirror that Johar asked SRK to do a cameo in the film, since the actor has always been featured in every one of his productions.

The source explained, "It was one of those 'I have never directed a film without you in it, so why should this time be an exception?' That's why SRK agreed to do a special appearance for the film. However, what is uncertain is the duration of his cameo."

Reportedly, Shah Rukh was initially supposed to star as a dean in Student Of The Year. Even though Johar had tailor-made the role for SRK, the best friends mutually decided that the character was still not the right fit. And so, Rishi Kapoor was roped in to essay the character instead.

The source told us that currently the look and character of SRK's role are being worked out.

"SRK is Karan's lucky charm. Karan is very happy to have him back on board," added the source.

Both, SRK and Johar remained unavailable for comment. Student Of The Year also stars newcomers Siddharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt.
    http://m.timesofindia.com/entertain...-Student-Of-The-Year/articleshow/10323898.cms

17. Devdas forever

Shah Rukh Khan Speaks About His Production Student Of The Year

precious_ain and Klaudia thank this.
  18. Klaudia

Klaudia Member

Who can translate the words of SRK? :)

19. Devdas forever

Shah Rukh Khan Not doing any cameo in Karan's 'Student of the Year'.

20. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

but i read somewhere that shah is not acting in this :tsk: