1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

SRK's Devdas in the top 10 films of the Millennium

Discussion in 'Devdas' started by DianaDimple, May 18, 2012.

1. DianaDimple

DianaDimple Well-Known Member

SRK's Devdas in the top 10 films of the Millennium
    TNN | May 18, 2012, 01.48PM IST

Day after Shah Rukh Khan hit headlines for his brawl with Mumbai Cricket Association officials at Wankhede, the actor finds one of his films in the top 10 films selected by Time magazine. His film Devdas stands 8th on the list of top 10 movies of the Millennium so far.

Time describes the film visually intoxicating musical. The other films on the list are Oscar winning silent film The Artist, Moulin Rouge. Director Baz Luhrmann was influenced from Bollywood and it all happened after he visited India. A little bit of Raj Kumar Santoshi's film song Chamma Chamma was used in the film.

Both James Cameroon and his ex-wife too have their films in the top 10 films. Avataar Cameroon's top grossing film which earned twice more than his classic Titanic and Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Synecdoche, New York, Lord of The Rings and Wall-E are the other films.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...w/13256335.cms

Wafa, RizwanaShahrukh, nika and 2 others thanked this.
  2. DianaDimple

DianaDimple Well-Known Member

The 10 Greatest Movies of the Millennium (Thus Far)TIME's Richard Corliss has created a countdown of the 10 greatest films made since the year 2000, from No. 10 (The Artist) to No. 1 (see for yourself)

8. Devdas, 2002

By Richard Corliss | May 17, 2012 | +
    Eros International / Everett
    Eros International / Everett
    Director: Sajay Leela Bhansali
    Year Released: 2002
    Cast: Shahrukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai, Madhuri Dixit

A year after Moulin Rouge! had its world premiere at Cannes, another visually intoxicating musical opened at the festival, introducing sang-and-danced Bollywood dramas to the international culturati. Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay’s 1901 novel inspired at least a half-dozen film versions before this one — in its time, the priciest movie in Indian history (at about $10.6 million). The plot, based on a 1917 novel, is good-ol’ family-values propaganda, drenched in luscious masochism: rich-boy Devdas (all-world charismatist Shahrukh Khan) leaves home, abandons his girlfriend (former Miss World Aishwarya Rai) and suffers magnificently while dallying with a prostitute (Madhuri Dixit, a hot number who had danced flamenco on men’s libidos for a decade or so before appearing in this worldly-wise role). The piece is played with such commitment that the tritest plot twists seem worth believing — and dancing to, in nine nifty production numbers. But the fervid emotion is what makes the thing sing. Beyond that, Devdas is a visual ravishment, with sumptuous sets, fabulous frocks and beautiful people to fill them; it has a grandeur the old Hollywood moguls would have loved.

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/0...in-lede#devdas

Wafa, nika, Debbie and 1 other person say thanks.
  3. Sofie

Sofie Well-Known Member

Do we have the full list? It's great to know that Devdas made to the top ten list. Was watching the film the other day & thought that Bollywood does not produce this type of film anymore. What a great loss!

4. LizzyluvSrk

LizzyluvSrk Active Member

Great News! For him and his fans. I love the movie so much but still have a problem with his death scene. It was so painful for me to watch, the tears running down his eyes was the most painful sight for me.

5. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Maybe now they will release it in Blu-Ray.......if ever a movie should this one is it.......

6. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

Im over the moon!! Double whammy for us today!!! :D

7. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

10. The Artist, 2011

9. Moulin Rouge!, 2001

8. Devdas, 2002

7. Synecdoche, New York, 2008

6. The Hurt Locker, 2009

5. The White Ribbon, 2009

4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, 2000