SRK writes foreward to "Chak De India" autobiography

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Book Club' started by Bridget, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Negi's gloom-to-glory story in autobiography
    PTI
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 21:55 IST

MUMBAI: The travails and triumphs of former India hockey goalkeeper Mir Ranjan Negi, whose stint as a coach in the game he played with distinction was depicted in the Bollywood hit "Chak De India", have been chronicled in his autobiography.

Negi's "From Gloom to Glory", which he noted at the book signing function on Tuesday as the culmination of having maintained diary notes and scrap books right through his career, captures the real life story of the former player's fight against odds.

"I cannot forget the media. It was the media that plunged me in gloom and it was the media that brought me glory (post-Chak De)," he said at the function.

Negi was the hapless Indian goalkeeper and was pilloried in the media following the humiliating 1-7 defeat arch-foes Pakistan in the 1982 Asian Games final at Delhi.

The coach of the 1998 Asian Games winning women's team, a superintendent in the customs department, also said that the proceeds from the sales of the book would be ploughed back into the national game's development.

The book, whose foreword has been written by Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan who played the character inspired by Negi's life in the film Chak De India, has been published by Popular Prakashan

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1194574

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. Kalee

Kalee I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

I am glad things eventually worked out for Mr. Negi.:thumb:

Damn, I wanna read that!!:eek: Shah Rukh's writing is such a turn on!!:p

Thanks Bridget.:)

4. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

interesting
    I want to read the book
    thanks for the post

5. Bridget

Game is Booked

Posted: Oct 03, 2008 at 2239 hrs IST

His life resembles the reels of Chak De! India, but former India Hockey coach Mir Ranjan Negi now reveals it all in a book

When Kabir Khan’s motley team of girls won the imaginary World Championships in Chak De! India, there was a collective sigh of relief in the cinemas. But for one viewer, Mir Ranjan Negi, it was as though a moment of his life was blown up on the screen. Negi did not share Kabir Khan’s sexy bearded looks, but somewhere the pain matched. “Shah Rukh Khan acted exceptionally well, but I had actually lived out those sentiments,” says Negi.

There have been endless discussions on whether or not Negi’s life inspired the blockbuster, but this time he has decided to do the talking. The 50-year-old former goalkeeper and coach is ready with his autobiography, From Gloom to Glory (Popular Prakshan). The origin of gloom is in the 1982 Asian Games. Negi was the goalkeeper of the Indian hockey team which was badgered 1-7 by Pakistan. The country wept — and then fumed against Negi for conceding the goals. Almost ostracised, Negi slunk away — but not quite. He redeemed his destiny 16 years later — when the men’s hockey team he coached won the gold in the 1998 Bangkok Asian Games. Four years later, the women’s team trained by him won the gold at the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Game-is-Booked/368711

6. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

did anyone ever get to read SRK's foreword from this book anywhere?

7. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I had missed this thread somewhere along the way and did not know about the book. I just ordered it off of amazon.com and will read it. I will let you know how it is!

8. jg2k

jg2k The.One

Thanks MaryAnn - I had missed this thread too... Will be great to know about the foreward... Also, the story, I'm sure will be a highly inspirational one.

9. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

thank you MaryAnn, looking forward to it :D

10. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Won't get the book until the end of July, so give me a month and then I will let you know!

11. Bridget

Thanks MaryAnn. I'm also looking forward to what you'll say about SRK's foreward to this book

12. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

can't wait to hear about the forward!