SRK chapter plus in Bollywood Today book

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Book Club' started by Bridget, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

I just received a book I bought online called Bollywood Today
    by Kaveree Bamzai because it has a chapter on SRK.

It's a big coffee table book with lots of excellent quality color photos. It covers all the major stars plus the major producers and directors. So there are many photos of SRK throughout it really. No new photos but many are full page size and like I said excellent quality images.

When I look for descriptions of it online I found things like these:

Bollywood Today
    This book is a picture-perfect beginner`s guide to current Bollywood. Kaveree Bamzai casts an uncritical eye on the current crop of actors and producers who are keeping the show going. It carries straight for-ward profiles of our biggest stars and filmmakers.

"Bollywood Today"
    January 22, 2008 at 08:07 pm

It would be a mistake to look only at the photos in this new book on Bollywood. The real eye candy is not the photographs but the writing.

In Bollywood Today, Kaveree Bamzai entertainingly combines good-prose with insightful-analysis. Details are contemporary enough to include, “Om Shanti Om” & “Saawariya”. Written largely for a foreign-audience, the book covers ground that is familiar to the desi movie buff. Yet, Bamzai manages to give us some rare glimpses.

Via The Hindu
    Bollywood Today by Kaveree Bamzai. Large format, lavishly illustrated 175 page hardcover in new condition. Lustre Press/Roli Books, New Delhi, India. All text in English.

In Bollywood, every cliché is true. The script doesn't matter, only the proposal does. The song and dance is everything. Packaging counts and marketing delivers. Everything revolves around a handful of stars. Much of the funding is from unorganized and sometimes even questionable sources.

But Bollywood, a derivative name for the Hindi film industry that is a loose agglomeration of old style film families and newly established studios, of venerated stars and tough-talking directors, often defies the clichés it embodies.

Since 1995, a fantastic year which saw three different genres of cinema- Aditya Chopra's diaspora-meets-desis romance Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge; Ram Gopal Varma's ironic comedy Rangeela; and Mani Ratnam's contentiously political Bombay- three has been a tectonic cultural and commercial shift. A new breed of filmmakers has taken over, altering age-old artistic conventions and business norms. The three filmmakers are just some of the characters who walk in and out of the frames of this book. What drives- and how they drive- the multi-million rupee industry, whose impact on society in India is an wide as its influence among the increasingly vocal diaspora, is what makes this book the picture-perfect beginner's guide to current Bollywood.

Details of Bollywood Today Title: Bollywood Today
    Author: Kaveree Bamzai
    ISBN:

ISBN-13:

Binding: Hardcover

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. srkandrea

srkandrea srkandrea

thanks for the information. it looks that it is worth to have this book.
    from where did you buy it?

4. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

I got my copy on Ebay online. It was a buy it now sale. I don't know if they have more but it's worth a search there as it was much less than the copies of this book I saw when I checked prices online through a book search engine.