1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Social Game for RA.ONE

Discussion in 'RaOne (Ra.1)' started by mumbiene, Aug 27, 2011.

1. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

27_08_2011_535_009.jpg

Number8 and jg2k thank this.
  2. MeryamaSRK

MeryamaSRK DON-ish

Mumbai, Aug. 27 -- Almost every big-budget Bollywood film that has released over the past year saw a mobile or Internet game accompany it. Now actor-producer Shah Rukh Khan's RA.One has launched a game that will be available across five platforms social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter), iPads/iPhones, Android, Nokia's Ovi store and DTH.

"We are trying to target the masses with brand Shah Rukh Khan," says Vishal Gondal, CEO, UTV India Games, which has created the game that revolves around G.One (the superhero character played by Khan in the film) and his adventures. The game will be available for free download by the end of September or early October. However, any further micro-transactions (buying extra ammunition, powers) will cost the gamer anything from R 5 to R 100.

Gondal insists the storyline of the game will not be borrowed or similar to that of the movie. "That's the differentiator. The game is not an extension of the film. The characters or dragons that G.One will be fighting will be different," says Gondal, adding that the actor himself was involved in the game's design. "It is a highend gaming experience globally even for those who do not know Shah Rukh Khan. For those who do, it's a bonus."

Unlike most superhero franchises, whose films are popular due to comic books or graphic novels, RA.One is taking the opposite route. UTV India Games will create a digital comic book for the superhero.

"We're looking to launch a mobile application for a digital comic book that India Games is currently working on," says Shailja Gupta, digital and new media head, Red Chillies Entertainment. RA.One, which also stars Arjun Rampal and Kareena Kapoor is expected to release this Diwali.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let this NOT be confused with the PSN game please. So, they shouldn't be merged into the same thread.

jg2k, Number8, SRKdream and 1 other person say thanks.
  3. danshula

danshula Well-Known Member

India's First Social Game for Ra.One

Actor-producer Shah Rukh Khan’s latest offering, Ra.One, has roped in UTV Indiagames to design a social game based on the film. A first in India, the social game would be based on the character G.One and would have its own identity.

The game is part of Red Chillies’ efforts to woo users in the digital space. The company is investing around $3-4 million (Rs 13-18 crore) for the film's online promotion. “This is different from what we have done so far in Bollywood. Games have been used as part of the marketing strategy. But these (social games) are just one-off games. In the case of Ra.One, we work with the character and create stories around it,” says UTV Indiagames chief executive Vishal Gondal.

Social games are played as a way of social interaction. Successful social games include Farmville, Cityville and Mafia War. Globally, social gaming is a $1-billion market. According to the Ficci-KPMG Indian Media and Entertainment Industry Report 2011, India accounts for an estimated 8-10 million social media gamers. Zynga, one of the most successful social game developers, has close to 270 million active monthly users, with almost five per cent of this base paying to play an advance version of the game.
    Indiagames has already invested around Rs 4.5 crore in developing the game. The social games would be based on a freemium model, which means while the primary game would be free, users would have to pay for advanced features and accessories. Each of these microtransactions would range between Rs 5 and Rs 100. The social games targeted at the mass market would be launched across platforms like mobiles, tablet PCs, the direct-to-home platform and social networking sites like Facebook.

“The games would also be targeted at gamers across countries. People who know about Shah Rukh Khan and Ra.One would probably come and play, but the idea is to take it to gamers who like to play superhero games,” says Gondal.

According to Red Chillies Entertainment digital and new media head Shailja Gupta, the idea behind the digital marketing is to create a franchisee for Ra.One. “Social gaming is just one part of the digit marketing strategy. The unique part of the social game is the integration of merchandise and gaming. Never before has anyone tried this model in India,” she says.

UTV Indiagames would also develop digital comics based on the Ra.One character. The comic available for the mobile platform would have weekly episodes. Gupta explains G.One is first of-its-kind Indian superhero brand with full-fledged merchandising and licensing plans. “In a novel approach, G.One transforms the character of a silver screen superhero into a multifaceted franchise, from graphic novels to social games and action figures. The G.One brand and the franchise has been conceptualised keeping in mind two identities—G.One and Little G.One—who live in parallel universes. We bring to you action figures, toys, graphic novels, home furnishing, fashion accessories, back-to-school, mobile, social and console games, graphic card, mobiles and much more,” she adds.

As part of the digital strategy, Red Chillies, along with UTV Indiagames, would also launch digital comics for the mobile platform. The comics would have weekly episodes for users. Gupta adds the company plans to build on the superhero concept, rather than just Shah Rukh Khan. “We want to create an experience for the user around Ra.One, and we would want to exploit the digital medium for this experience,” said Gupta. In case of the Ra.One social game, the business model would be similar to what is being used online, except the merchandising aspect would be much more integrated. The merchandise to be sold in the market would have a coupon with a unique code. This would allow the user to get information on the game and also initiate them into it. It would also have a reward system, through which a gamer can buy virtual merchandise and goods.

Console game manufacturer and developer Sony Playstation will develop the game for its various consoles. Ra.One-The Game, would be available for all PSP models. Sony PS has developed a full-cycle console game, which offers more than 20 game environments. The total cost of developing and promoting the game is over $1 million.

Source: Business standard http://bit.ly/ngmzP6
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    This is HUGE, SRK is going ALL OUT with Ra.One! :hail: what more can we look forward to? and the promotions is yet to begin full on!

4. jg2k

jg2k The.One

All this feels so good. Perfect way to promote a movie of this genre. SRK sure has done all his research too well. Amazing to see that he created such a stupendous opportunity (to open up the Indian market to true blue desi superheroes) and is himself setting the highest standards for its promotion and overall execution. Ra.One is not only SRK's Dream, it's probably His Biggest Reality. :hail:

MeryamaSRK, Ishq19 and danshula thank this.
  5. DianaDimple

DianaDimple Well-Known Member

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2011/sep...s-40-Crore.htm

City bizman sends SRK legal notice demanding Rs 40 Crore
    By: Imran Gowhar Date: 2011-09-16 Place: Bangalore

Claims the star stole his idea and launched mobile game to popularise RA.One without giving him any credit; now demands Rs 40 crore to settle matter or initiate legal action

A city-based businessman has taken on Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan and is alleging that the actor stole his idea and launched a mobile phone game to popularise the movie Ra-One, without acknowledging his contribution.

Shakir Aga served notice to Shah Rukh Khan
    through Red Chillies Entertainment on Tuesday

Shakir Aga (27), who runs a hospitality business in Bangalore, served notice to SRK through Red Chillies Entertainment on Tuesday stating that further legal action would be initiated if the star did not pay him Rs 40 crore, which is apparently his share for the project estimated at around Rs 400 crore.

He said that he hit upon the idea for the game and discussed it with Lida Moghaghegh, a Persian national and a popular TV artist in US in March last year, who in turn mailed the details to Chief Finance Officer Blesson Oommen of Red Chillies Entertainment in 2010.

Communication gap
    To follow up, Aga sent a detailed mail to Oommen on March 18 and the CFO replied on December 14 thanking him and assuring that he would get back at an appropriate time.

Aga again sent Oommen a reminder on May 6, but received no response, and even a series of mails, phone calls and Fax messages went unanswered.

A few months later, Oommen finally responded stating that SRK was busy and would get back to Aga shortly.
    However, the last email received from Red Chillies Entertainment in October 2010 announced that SRK would be launching the phone game along with his latest movie.

Legal eagle
    "This is prejudiced and SRK and company have stolen the idea from Aga without acknowledging his contribution," Aga's advocate M S Mukarram who issued legal notice said.

The advocate said that this amounts to cheating and breach of trust and that the notice warns of legal action if SRK launches his game without settling matters with Aga.

Meanwhile, Mukarram said that it is mandatory to issue legal notice before filing a case. "We will wait one month for a reply, following which we will take appropriate action accordingly," he said.

This reporter contacted Red Chillies Entertainment after several attempts and was told that they were not aware of anyone by the name of Aga and neither did they know about any such issue.

Wafa says thanks.
  6. MeryamaSRK

MeryamaSRK DON-ish

7. sami16

sami16 a fan not a fanboy

Controversy is the best way to promote a film, the controversy (along with the film and what it is about) will spread like wildfire. Wouldn't be surprised if SRK has probably instructed his team to create a bit of controversy! He's said before that he wants to keep his film controversy free, but that is just to please the majority, every filmmaker desires some controversy!

8. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

I just have to react.. WHAAAATTTT??? Are you seriously suggesting SRK would have someone to sue his company?? This is beyond ridiculous. I get almost more upset by your comment than the article. Sounds like some random guy just had in his head that he could try to make a quick buck. I wonder what exactly this guy thinks is his idea? To have a game or the context of the game? Is the game even out yet?

9. danshula

danshula Well-Known Member

This is so made up story by Media or that guy! The Social Networking Game is not even launched yet and they are reporting its launched, lol and Rs 40 Crores for a mobile game? No way! The rights of the film itself was of that much amount, for the mobile game it will be way less than Rs 40 Crores. This guy is looking for publicity and to make money! Nothing More!

10. sami16

No, Im saying that the dude probably doesn't even exist! Many of these newspapers are media partners in the film, it means they are paid off to promote the film! Controversy is the best way to promote and SRK knows that, some of his statements are designed to cause a reaction! Wether you like it or not but all the best promoters e.g Aamir Khan and SRK will "stir it up" before there film releases, its good promotion for the film. Im just suggesing that this is another one of those.

11. Pompula

And I'm saying, this is NOT the way to make publicity for the film. I totally believe this guy to be a fraud, but this news isn't created by SRK!

danshula says thanks.
  12. sami16

hahaha well when you make a film youll realise that controversies are one of the best ways to promote a film, remember MNIK?. Do you remember the film Delhi Belly? remember when Anubhav Sinha had that problem with the song, well that whole controversy was started by Aamir Khan himself, it just happened that Anubhav had a problem aswell, but the very first article written critisizing the song was published by a newspaper being influenced by Aamir Khan productions to do so! youll find that these film stars are not the saints they make themselves out to be!

13. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

controversy to promote a film.

right. well now i've heard everything.

14. KhushiDreamz

KhushiDreamz G.One Squad Member

So what you saying is that all this is SRK fault... sorry but cant be.

15. KhushiDreamz

KhushiDreamz G.One Squad Member

does anyone knows where can we buy the PS3 Console in USA :) Im interested in buying it ..or is it gonna be available in the G One store :confused:

16. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

you are beyond ridiculous! you think you know it all? SRK doesn't need to rely on controversies and dubious means to promote himself or his films. his name alone is enough, yet he still goes through the business process of getting fans excited and updated till the release. what he's doing for RaOne from marketing channels is not only to promote RaOne but he's also embarking on different and new growth for the Indian film industry as a whole; something they never done before and its opening doors for everyone to try new way of film-making and technology.

a few of you might know this if you are a veteran here, I know lida personally and we jointly went to india and met SRK many times together. I have not been in touch with her for about a year and half now but the fact that I see her name in the article is an indication that this is not a made up story made up by the media. That being said, I have no idea of any of this or the details of how and what happened. I could find out from her but I prefer not to get involved.

Rajshri, jg2k and KhushiDreamz thank this.
  17. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

Meryama, we are selective to the articles that we keep or delete from the forum. I know some are not in SRK's favor but still its news and discussion is allowed. Sometimes we have to refer to those articles when SRK makes a comment about them in his interviews or incidents happen as result. also, how and where else fans can defend him? if it weren't for these discussions we (or other fans) wouldn't have known a lot of the truth or how media works, or what's true or not. However, we will not allow further articles and discussion on absurd gossip and tabloid about his personal affairs.
    It's hard to explain in what situation we'll keep the article posted as sometimes we admins/mods have to take it one article at a time to make a decision.
    I hope you understand now and stop bitching about it :p

18. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I forgot to add.... Ideas cannot be trademarked or "copyrighted" so I don't understand on what basis Shakir is taken legal action. For all we know, SRK could have had same idea since inception 5 years ago; we all know his brilliant fast working genius mind is...

danshula, MeryamaSRK and KhushiDreamz thank this.
  19. Pompula

Yes, I do remember MNIK and I don't see how it's good for film's business to have theatres afraid to show the film because of violent protests. But of course, if one chooses to see things through cynicism, one can always find calculations everywhere. Doesn't mean that they are the true motives of the other person...

phul, danshula and Ishq19 thank this.
  20. Rayhana

Rayhana Well-Known Member

Oh my god! I can't believe your even thinking like that. I don't know whether to even smile or frown.