1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Silsiilay's reviews

Discussion in 'Silsilay' started by Astri, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Astri

Astri New Member

[​IMG]
    Silsiilay' What Women Want!

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]By Nitika Desai
    Film critic, ApunKaChoice.Com

[/FONT][FONT=Georgia,Times]Three different stories are told in tandem to show women’s perspective of relationships gone sour. In Silsiilay, filmmaker Khalid Mohammad, whose forte is women-centric subjects, explores the disenchantment, the dilemma and the pain that the three leading female protagonists go through in their respective relationships.

The first story is of Zia (Bhumika Chawla), a glamorous actress whose relationship with beau Neel (Rahul Bose) is going through its final stages. Zia wants a baby out of marriage with Neel, but he doesn’t want responsibilities. And it takes him not much time to move on and fall for another girl – leaving Zia emotionally wrecked.

The http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid=18489&m=8&tp=10&d=s&c=1second story is of a young, bubbly receptionist Anushka (Riya Sen) whose relationship with Nikhil (Ashmit Patel) is not without turbulence. Nikhil is a fast guy who wants sex, but Anushka is in two minds. Her colleague Tarun (Jimmy Shergill) is the man who lends her emotional support. Deep down he loves her, but has never mustered enough courage to tell her.

The third story is of a lonely housewife Rehana (Tabu) whose husband Anwar (Kay Kay Menon) is having an illicit affair with an airhostess Preeti (Celina Jaitley). Rehana’s stepson Inayat (Karan) harbors incestuous feelings for her. He has the Oedipus complex.

The three stories are woven together to give an insight into a woman’s world, her aspirations, sensitivities, sacrifices and eventually her hopes of defining her own destiny.

The film starts off on a promising note with Shah Rukh Khan (in a cameo) acting as the sutradhar to the stories of Zia, Anushka and Rehana.

Bhumika Chawla takes big strides in acting and convincingly brings out the inner turbulence of her character Zia, a glamorous, garish woman who becomes almost neurotic after being jilted by her boyfriend. Rahul Bose fits well into the role of her bookie beau who doesn’t want to sire a child.

The movie’s grip slackens a bit in the second story – Anushka’s – which is more like a teenybopper romance tale about a girl divided at her heart between a dashing dude (Ashmit) and a simple Mr. Dependable (Jimmy). Riya Sen gives an average performance and Ashmit Patel delivers a superficial one. Only Jimmy Shergill is able to bring out the honesty in his ‘nice-guy’ character.

Of the three stories the most interesting is Rehana’s. Tabu’s stoic portrayal of Rehana captures the strength of her character not through her words but through her subdued silence. Kay Kay Menon is oddly cast as her husband. Celina Jaitley is commendable in marginal but important role.

Cinematography in the movie (by Santosh Sivan) is top class. Although the songs in it have fine melodies, they break the spontaneity of the story. Even the climax of the movie is a bit long drawn.

Silsiilay is a piece of sensible cinema. It is not for the hoi polloi. The movie has a realistic treatment of characters. It convincingly tackles the issues of infidelity, incest and women’s right to self-assertion and their belief in themselves.

Worth a watch
    [/FONT]

2. veronicas

veronicas ~Forever Yours~

Thanks Astri for this post.:thumb: I already mentioned in the caps section that I bought this movie because of him. I wanted to have all of his movies. I really loved him in there. The way he danced was really cute. The movie was also interesting and different. Thanks again.:)

3. Astri

Astri New Member

Same reason as mine.:p

4. boeing

boeing New Member

yaaa finee

5. Alana

Alana New Member

I watched that movie two days ago and I don't know why but I see really no sense in that movie. It was boring and there was no good song except from the title song. I thank the lord that I didn't bought that movie, but get as a present.
    Ok the scenes with Shahrukh are funny, the credit sequence I knew before and lie this dancing from him, just as he's alone and let out his fellings.
    And it's really funny that there are these hints to his production company, and to some movies like VZ or the motto from all Karan movies "It's all about loving your family". But after all, even this makes not really sense.

6. 1Feyenoord

1Feyenoord Member

Really bad film and proofs that just adding SRK to the cast does not make a good film.

7. kakato02

kakato02 Srkajol No.1

The only part I like about the film was the Tabu part & Shahrukh.. Shahrukh is the only reason why I brought the movie.. Especially when he danes to the title track in the begininng & end!!..

8. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

i watched the movie because of shahrukh and i only liked his parts didnt like the rest of the film really

9. Mia

Mia New Member

I will watch this movie only for Shahrukh:heart:

10. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

The only thing i like about this movie is SRK's part and his song! which explains why i didnt bother watching the whole of the movie, just skipping it to SRK parts and watching them over and over again! :D