1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Sheer Khan

Discussion in 'Asoka' started by Wafa, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

Sheer Khan (Old Interview)

After 10 years as the king of Bollywood, Shahrukh Khan is stepping down to teach the world some Indian history - and there's no better time

Steve Rose
    Saturday October 20, 2001
    The Guardian

For followers of Indian cinema, Shahrukh Khan needs no introduction. He has been pretty much the country's top actor for the past 10 years, which puts him slightly below Gandhi on the list of national heroes. Now, at 34, he says he's "over the hill" as a romantic lead, and is branching into movie production. Asoka, his second film as producer, is an epic tale of India's national hero, who built a huge empire, then gave everything away and became a Buddhist.

Most people in the UK don't really know who Asoka is.

I knew nothing about him either really. We know he was a great king and his emblem is on our national flag. But there's not much historical evidence about him; only myths and legends. He ruled from Afghanistan to the south of India. To hold that all together must have taken a very strong man. And then he gave it all up one fine day and decided to be peace-loving and nice and Buddhist. You know the statues destroyed by the Taliban? He built those.

Are you aiming this film at international audiences?

The packaging is Indian but maybe the message is more universal . We wanted to make Asoka a human character who youngsters could see as a hero figure. I'm trying to package it MTV style. And he has become more relevant today when we are talking about war. He killed innocent people according to his ideology, but then he realised that the death of innocents was something that should not be followed, and he took a different course.

You're producing this film as well. Do you feel like taking more risks with your career?

I've always done everything completely opposite in my career. Here there's a regular way to become a star: usually your father or mother is a famous producer or director or star. I come from a theatre background. I was trained in Delhi by an Englishman, but I wanted to make lms so I came here (Bombay). I was married, so I couldn't be a romantic hero. And I'm not very good looking either; I have a fat nose and my hair is all wrong. So I started out doing bad-guy roles. Everything seems to have worked out now, but only because I believe in taking chances and wanting to be different. Not getting stereotyped, which is the call of the day here in India.

Does it annoy you that you have to do song-and-dance routines in every film?

Every country has its own language of film and this is our language. If I had made Gladiator, I would be singing songs in it. As soon as you do a song, though, you're no longer a character, you're a rock star. It's impossible to dance like a guy who's a lawyer. Or if you're a maa don in The Untouchables. The character breaks down straightaway. But it's different. It's unique. It's interesting, for a country which takes films so seriously to make them with so much gay abandon and flamboyance. Songs and dances and high-pitched emotion are part of our lives. You give us an excuse, we'll get on the rooftops and dance.

On top of that, you've got some serious fighting to do.

You know we don't even have proper stunt coordinators? We don't have insurance. We just go ahead and hope it's all right. If I have to do a jump from 90ft, I do it. I've had surgery six or seven times already. It's not easy. You have to be Jackie Chan, Michael Jackson, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Robert De Niro and Paul Hogan, all rolled into one

rubyroo says thanks.
  2. Lorraine

Lorraine wise old lady

I could sit and listen to Shahrukh talk for days on end if we both could manage to keep at it so long. His thoughts are so impressive and meaningful. His manner of communicating is captivating, to say the least. And, when he is in good humor, he seems to be a joy to communicate with. I could never get enough of his conversations/talks. I'm kind of like a parasite when it comes to listening to intellectual individuals with extensive degrees and knowledge talk and try to reason on their theories, etc. I may not always agree with them, but that does not mean that I can't appreciate their ideas and thought processes. Shahrukh would fascinate me to no end --- and I wouldn't even need him to be handsome or sexy or wealthy, famous, or any of that.

simran82 says thanks.
  3. manasa rani

manasa rani Love u SRK till my last Saans

Yeah... I agree too... Sometimes we can't agree with him...Because many times we feel he is being too good....

Lorraine says thanks.