1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Shahrukh Khan to endorse men`s fairness cream

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by srk_no1_fan, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

AMEN! :thumb:

2. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

kali that is a proposterous thought! SRK did not change the color of his skin. all what it is is make up and lighting. please snap out of it you're getting obsessed with this fairness thing. if SRK has done an endorsement for a tanning lotion or any type of darkness cream, should the fair skinned get sensitive and upset? think about it.

3. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

we don't know what circumstances or reasons that lead him to make his current decisions, but have faith in him he is a genuine man with lots of integrity. no need to jump into conclusions specially when we don't have all the facts.

4. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

well said katja thank you.

5. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

As you know we covered the topic in ikhan, but still contemplating including the discussion. I think I will keep it till I meet him in person and ask him or bring it up to him then I can show him the discussions. I don't want to be misconstrude as judgemental.
    I won't be surprised if Hindustan Times started a poll copying our topic. you recall they've done that a few times :p

6. junibrown

junibrown New Member

Has anyone seen the ad yet? It is out and it is offensive. At least Shahrukh doesn't tell men they will be successful in a job if they lighten their skin. He just tells them that women's fairness cream will not work for them only Fair and Handsome will work for them and then they will get all the girls.

Shahrukh looks very pale (especially his arms and hands) and unattractive. He looks so much better when he is brown! I wish he knew that.

It will be interesting to find out other people's reaction to this commercial. I have a strong sense not many will bat an eye. Too bad because that
    means nothing will change.

7. zahra

zahra khanaddicted

Re : Re: Shahrukh Khan to endorse men`s fairness cream

Really?Please Kali bili,if you know a link for this ad just let us know.I haven't seen it yet.

8. junibrown

junibrown New Member

9. Chicken

Chicken ♥ ♥

Thanks for the link Kali.

Hmmm... well, I don't have a problem with this ad, but I also didn't have a problem with him endorsing the fairness cream in the first place, so, I guess I can't judge it entirely impartially.

But to be honest... I can't see are particular offensiveness in the ad,... well, it is a fairness cream which is supposed to make your skin look fairer, but we all knew that before... and of course, they do show the usual before and after pics... which is quite common in these ads.

O.k. so the ad gives one the impression that by using that cream you get a fair skin and then are more attractive for the other gender... but hey, don't we see such ads all the day... lose weight, eat low fat products use diet pills and you become slim and thus more attractive for others... or what about all the acne products (most of them btw. don't work either)... get rid of your pimples and than you get the boy and the girl... the basic message is always the same... change your look become more attractive and you get the boy or the girl !!!

I'm just curious what you expected the ad to be like...?
    I mean Shah Rukh is supposed to 'endorese' that cream, so, how could he himself slip in a message in that ad which is supposed to change something and moreover to change what... that people accept the colour of their skin and are proud of it, instead of trying to change it with a controversial product which might not really help... well, I'm sure you agree that that is a strange way to 'endorse' a product !?!

I still believe that whoever wants to have fairer skin out of whatever reasons will buy this product anyway, regardless whether Shah Rukh endorses it or not... whether he speaks for it or is against it.

Everyone has to make that decision for themselves... we can't expect others not even Shah Rukh to do that for us or let alone to live our lives for us.
    And one should excpect that people do have the backbone to make decisions on their own.

I'm quite aware that there are a lot of things still going really wrong in this world, but don't put the world's burdens or your own ones on Shah Rukh's shoulders... he's done more good than most of us here ever have done or will do and the least he can expect from us is to respect his decisions, despite the fact that some of us might not agree with him.

I respect the fact that you feel offended by the ad and that you dislike that Shah Rukh endorses this product... you've made that quite clear in your previous posts, but don't start attacking Shah Rukh personally... by saying how pale and unattractive he looks and that he looks much better when he is 'brown'... cause to be honest I find this statement itself rather offensive.

10. zahra

zahra khanaddicted

Re : Shahrukh Khan to endorse men`s fairness cream

Thanks for the link Kali Bili.
    I still love SRK of course and I don't want to judge him.But I don't like this ad at all.The message in it is not good.To be fair is to be handsome?Wasn't the guy in the ad gorgeous with brown skin?
    I saw this version was created for men only but do dark-skinned men can't seduce women with brown skin?
    Sorry but this is not fair ,if I may say so.For brown-skinned people who already suffer from discrimination,this is not good.

11. junibrown

junibrown New Member

You don't think his coloring looks unnatural? Compared to other pictures of him? He looks better as he was or used to be and that was brown. It looks as if Sirish Kunder used some technology, lighting, or something because Shahrukh does not look natural. I have seen him live and in person (when he was in Toronto) and he did not look so pale. All you have to do is look at pictures and see the difference.

I expected Shahrukh's ad to be like the other ads (promoting fairness as more beautiful than brown, or fairness equaling success in acquiring a job, etc.) AND IT WAS. Shahrukh's decision to participate in the ad pretty much indicates a message that is not about accepting brown skin. I didn't expect his ad to convey that message, I AM CONVEYING THAT MESSAGE!

Oh, so false advertising is O.K. with you? There is a big difference between losing weight, or controlling acne and lightening one's skin. No matter what color you are you may deal with weight issues and acne because they are both natural things people deal with in life and try to change, but no one can change their natural skin color (at least not permanently). Losing weight equals thin, acne medication equals clear skin, fairness cream equals wanting to be white (not attractive).

Can you for once imagine the young brown kids in India (across the globe for that matter) who are going to start using this product because Shahrukh has endorsed it? Just think of the young kids who will get the message that fair skin is more attractive and they'll have to be fair to be acceptable. I am not trying to burden Shahrukh Khan--I just want to others to know how detrimental the message of this endorsement is to people. I want to counter that message.

We both love Shahrukh in spite of the endorsement so let's agree to disagree. Peace.

12. clochette

clochette New Member

ShahRukh did exactly what I guessed he would do: he himself is putting the weight on the 'handsome' part...

13. junibrown

junibrown New Member

Clochette,

The handsome and fair are tied together in this commercial. Handsome is not on its own. The commercial conveys the young man is handsome because he is using fairness cream. He becomes more attractive because he begins using the fairness cream designed for men. Once his skin lightens after 4 weeks he is 'more handsome' and gets more attention from girls.

The commercial empasizes fairness makes you handsome!

14. clochette

clochette New Member

Oh Kali Billi, I am fully aware of this! And I think, ShahRukh, too, is fully aware of the combination done in the ad! But there are little nuances between what is showing and what is saying by the persons. I only said that I guessed (before ShahRukh did the ad) that he himself would not putting the weight on the colour of the skin but on the smoothness - what he did. And you can argue that nevertheless he did perform in an ad for a skin-lightening cream. It does not change my impression that he himself let no doubt that he is endorsing another aspect of this cream. It's like walk a tightrope...

15. junibrown

junibrown New Member

Clochette, I guess I have a different interpretation. Unfortunately, people interpret things in different ways. However, the commercial is clearly telling men to use fair and handsome because it can penetrate men's rough skin better to make it lighter, therefore, more handsome. There is no other aspect! It is only a reason for the use of men's fairness cream instead of women's fairness cream (and this is a marketing gimmick). BTW, does Shahrukh look a bit unnatural to you?

16. clochette

clochette New Member

There is a difference between what the commercial is saying and what ShahRukh is saying.
    As for the lightening of his skin colour... Kali, it's not the first time (and will not be the last) that ShahRukh's skin is lightened digitally. They did it in films, other ads, on pics... to me, it seems that it is common use in India. And it will remain like this till people's minds will change, so perhaps never. Whishing to be somehow other than one is, is a part of human thinking (or also that things should be other than they are). As long as mankind does not change a kind of thinking there would ALWAYS be people using this (in whatever way). To change thinking is a looooooooooooooooong process (if people doesn't see a gain in a sudden changing). Sometimes it is better in a very subtle way than with a megaphone, sometime it needs catastrophes.
    I think it is excellent that you speak your thoughts frankly, that you show the deep concern that is yours. Because your changing of mind has to start with yourself, with your own thinking (the inspiration can come from wherever). And making it a point that in your opinion, the colour of the skin should have absolutely NOTHING to do with the value of a person, is not only worth to be lived by you but also to be propagated.
    Your concern regarding ShahRukh is understandable if you see him as a role model, an icon etc. But it is not ShahRukh who makes himself a role model or an icon, that is a choice each admirer of him is doing. One can not declare him guilty for probably shattering dreams he is NOT responsible for.

17. Amanee

Amanee New Member

Okay stop it here its enough!! you are going too far misinterpreting the ad. the ad didn't say fair IS handsome, it didn't say its better than dark and srk didn't say such thing at all. the ad was made on an already used and marketed famous cream known for fairness, the only difference was that why do you; man, use the cream that was made for women? their skin is softer and different than your rough skin; there is a different cream for you to use if you want fairness.

I didn't see anything offensive in this ad, and srk didn't look "pale" he just looked lighter than in person and thats with make up and lighting of course, that's what the ad is about. he looked just fine.

who are we to judge his business decisions, just give it up and take it for face value. it a product just like any product we use in creams and make up. this is his business and he's doing nothing wrong. if you don't think the cream is ok then don't buy it and maybe you should dispute it with the manufacturers not the middle man.

18. Chicken

Chicken ♥ ♥

First of all, I never said that 'false' advertising is o.k... I was just giving examples, but I think you should get a reality check cause if you look at most of the commercials, they are 'false'... commercials are using the desires of people to sell their products... it's all about selling their stuff and making money with it... and yes, as sad and frustrating as it may be there is not much room for moral aspects in advertising.

You want your message to be heard... you want something to change then go ahead and do something about it... contact the company, write a letter to one or all of the major newspapers in India make yourself heard... you put in a lot of energy to make your message clear to us... so, why not make it clear to the ones that are responsible... the company which makes that stuff... the stores which sell it... the T.V. channels which air the ads... and who knows you might actually be able to reach someone and leave an impression on them.

I certainly don't want anybody to feel less attractive, privileged or respected because of their mere looks whether it's skin, hair, eye colour, height, weight or whatever... I truly wish that everybody would not only accept themselves the way they are, but also love and respect themselves... but evidently for some people this seems to be the hardest thing to do.
    Now, that is something I certainly will agree with... so, AMEN !!!

19. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I didn't see the ad offensive at all. there was nothing wrong with anything said.

keep in mind this is product is very old and very long in existence. srk is not promoting the idea that fair is better, the ad was saying that if you are using it as a man, don't use the women cream, use the men's.

20. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

the ad didn't say that. they never said if you want the girls you have to be fair. they were talking about men not using the women's cream since they have different softer skin.

Shahrukh looks very pale (especially his arms and hands) and unattractive. He looks so much better when he is brown! I wish he knew that..[/quote]
    he didn't look pale, lighter than in person yes, but not pale or unattractive:rolleyes:
    you are the only one who is focusing on this color distinction that one is better than the other. that's discriminatory if you asked me;saying darker is better..