Shahrukh Khan in book CINEMA IMAGES & ISSUES

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Book Club' started by Bridget, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

I just recently read this book which I got from an inter-library loan. It's called
    CINEMA IMAGES & ISSUES by BY BHAWANA SOMAAYA
    PAGES 389 and it was published in 2004. Here is a picture of the cover of this book;

[​IMG]

Shahrukh is mentioned repeatedly in this book and she talks about various aspects of movies such as Devdas, Ashoka, PBDHH, KKKG and Mohabbatein. The book is quite simply written and really has nothing new or in-depth to say about these films. I was surprised at how there was little of any depth or detail is in this book considering it had been published in English in two countries, was written by an older journalist who has worked for numerous publications for many years like Movie where she's been co-editor.

She rarely comments on the acting in any movie she talks about I noticed. Although she mentions SRK quite frequently she doesn't say much about his acting. She did make one comment though about him in Asoka which was a good comment:

"It is the right role at the right time for Shahrukh Khan. Shedding his image to don a new avatar, the actor gravitates from yearning to agony with astounding pain and intelligence. Understated yet penetrating."

The book also has a number of photographs (all in black and white inside). And Shahrukh is in 7 of these full page photos. That's by far more than any other actor/actress shown. Those are nice but all have been seen quite a lot. The nicest is from Asoka.

If anyone is interested in the book I saw you can buy it online at Ebay and also at http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/IDE839/

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

There was one other thing that I found interesting in this book which I forgot to mention, and as I have to return it to the library now I thought I would before I forget to.

On page 235 in her chapter dated August 2 2002 she has a long paragraph about SRK getting much negative publicity at this time because "a lensman accused the star of manhandling him at a public function recently". She rarely mentions film news or news about stars in her book so this stood out. As this took place years before I ever saw my first SRK film I didn't know about this at the time and don't recall having read about it before. The author of this book is very supportive of Shahrukh and says he "does not deserve the negative publicity evoked".

I looked up news from that time period to find out more about this than the paragraph the book tells of . I found a couple articles on this...both seem somewhat to very slanted towards this cameraman

Shah Rukh punches away to prime-time
    http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=24883

Khan booked for threatening cameraman
    http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-26459591_ITM

as for the book's author she says "I was surprised the lensman chose to get so self righteous'

Can anyone who knows more about this incident post what they know here please?

4. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

It was during Devdas related event. A Zee TV cameraman had harassed Aishwarya Rai, whom SRK got angry with...