1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Shahrukh Khan Box Office Analysis: Hits, Flops, Blockbusters

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by Manikanta, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Manikanta

Manikanta Well-Known Member

From a commoner in Delhi to one of the biggest superstars in the country, Shahrukh Khan is one of the biggest success stories in the industry today. Born in New Delhi on 2nd November 1965 and brought up in the coastal city of Mangalore for the first five years of his life, Shahrukh made his debut in the Hindi Film Industry about 2 decade ago with Deewana (1992), a film that won him his first Filmfare Award for Best Debut Male.

Later in the same year, Shahrukh featured in Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, a film that remains close to his heart even today. The turning point in his career, however, came with two films in 1993 where he played characters with grey shades – Yash Chopra’s Darr and Abbas-Mustan’s Baazigar.

1995 though was a landmark year in his career. Two of the year’s biggest blockbusters, Rakesh Roshan’s Karan Arjun and Aditya Chopra’s Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge released and the latter went on to become one of the biggest blockbuster in the history of Indian cinema and firmly established Shahrukh as the biggest superstar in the country. DDLJ is still running at Maratha Mandir in Mumbai!

In the following few years, SRK gained iconic status with romantic films like Yash Chopra’s Dil Toh Pagal Hai, Subhash Ghai’s Pardes and Karan Johar’s Kuch Kuch Hota Hai which remains one of the biggest hits of his career.

The beginning of the current century was probably the toughest of Shahrukh’s career with the media pitting him against Hrithik Roshan who made a spectacular debut in Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai. The two had a epic clash at the box office during Diwali in 2010 when Hrithik’s Mission Kashmir released on the same day as SRK’s Mohabbatein. While Mission Kashmir opened to a better response initially, it was Mohabbatein that eventually won the Diwali clash.

In the last decade or so, Shahrukh consolidated his status as one of the most bankable stars in the country with successful films like Devdas, Chalte Chalte, Kal Ho Na Ho, Main Hoon Na and Veer Zaara. The actor was unable to maintain his success streak when Swades and Paheli failed at the box office. Two rare failures were followed by 10 back-to-back successful films that started with Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna and continues with his latest blockbuster Chennai Express.

Its been a remarkable career for Shahrukh Khan, as good as any the industry has ever witnessed. More than 20 years since he made his debut, SRK remains one of the most loved actors the industry has ever produced.

Below we have detailed box office analysis of SRK’s career so far: (ONLY INDIA)

Movie Release Date Collections (in crore) Verdict

Deewana : June 25 1992 7.75 Hit
    Chamatkar : July 8 1992 2.75 Flop
    Dil Aashna Hai : December 25 1992 1.25 Flop
    Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman:November 13 1992 2.5 Average
    King Uncle: February 5 1993 1.65 Flop
    Maya Memsaab: July 2 1993 1.85 Flop
    Baazigar: November 12 1993 7.75 Hit
    Darr : December 24 1993 10.75 Superhit
    Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa:February 25 1994 3.5 Hit
    Anjaam : April 22 1994 3.25 Flop
    Karan Arjun : January 13 1995 32.15 Blockbuster
    Guddu : January 31 1995 2.1 Flop
    Zamaana Deewana: July 28 1995 4.5 Flop
    Oh Darling! Yeh Hai India!:August 11 1995 1.95 Flop
    Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge:October 20 1995 61 All Time Blockbuster
    Ram Jaane: November 29 1995 9.5 Above Average
    Trimurti : December 22 1995 10.25 Flop
    English Babu Desi Mem:January 26 1996 4.25 Flop
    Chaahat : June 6 1996 4.53 Flop
    Army: June 28 1996 7.25 Average
    Koyla: April 18 1997 12 Below Average
    Yes Boss : July 18 1997 9.5 Above Average
    Pardes : August 8 1997 18 Hit
    Dil To Pagal Hai: October 31 1997 28 Super Hit
    Duplicate: May 8 1998 9.25 Below Average
    Dil Se.. : August 21 1998 10.25 Flop
    Kuch Kuch Hota Hai:October 16 1998 45.25 All Time Blockbuster
    Baadshah: August 27 1999 14 Below Average
    Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani:January 21 2000 10.25 Flop
    Josh: June 9 2000 20 Above Average
    Mohabbatein: October 27 2000 33.25 Superhit
    One 2 Ka : 4March 30 2001 5.5 Flop
    Asoka : October 26 2001 8.25 Flop
    Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham: December 14 2001 47 Blockbuster
    Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam:May 24 2002 13.75 Above Average
    Devdas : July 12 2002 32.5 Hit
    Chalte Chalte : June 13 2003 16 Hit
    Kal Ho Naa Ho : November 27 2003 35 Hit
    Yeh Lamhe Judaai Ke:April 9 2004 0.45 Flop
    Main Hoon Na: April 30 2004 33.5 Hit
    Veer Zaara : November 12 2004 40 Superhit
    Swades : December 17 2004 15.25 Flop
    Paheli : June 24 2005 13 Flop
    Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna:August 11 2006 45.75 Hit
    Don: The Chase Begins Again:October 20 2006 51 Hit
    Chak De! India : August 10 2007 67.7 Blockbuster
    Om Shanti Om: November 9 2007 79.5 Blockbuster
    Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi: December 12 2008 86.75 Blockbuster
    Billu : February 13 2009 23.65 Flop
    My Name Is Khan: February 12 2010 72.75 Hit
    Ra.One: October 26 2011 115.42 Hit
    Don 2: The Chase Continues: December 23 2011 106.25 Hit
    Jab Tak Hai Jaan: November 12 2012 120.32 Hit
    Chennai Express : August 9 2013 223 All Time Blockbuster

Total Movies: 54

Career: 1992-2013

Total Collections: 1642.52 crore

Average: 30.41 crore per film

• Disasters – 0
    • Flop – 19
    • Below Average – 3
    • Average – 2
    • Above Average – 4
    • Semi Hit – 0
    • Hits – 14
    • Super Hit – 4
    • Blockbusters – 5
    • All Time Blockbusters – 3
    • Success Ratio (Above average or better) – 55.5%
    A few interesting points:

• Shahrukh is second only to Rajesh Khanna when it comes to back-to-back hits. He currently has 10 and could eventually beat Khanna’s 15 consecutive hits record.
    • At the time of this writing, SRK also has almost all the box office records under his name – Highest grosser in India, Highest worldwide grosser, Highest Opening Day / Weekend / Week – just to name a few.
    • In every overseas market, Shahrukh is by far the biggest superstar. Some of his older films like Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna are still in the Top 10.
    • Not a single Shahrukh Khan film has ever been declared as a box office disaster!
    • The total business generated by his films in India is Rs 1642.52 crore, only behind Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar.
    http://www.indicine.com/movies/bollywood/shahrukh-khan-box-office-analysis-hits-flops-blockbusters/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. Manikanta

nika says thanks.
  3. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

SRK will have another great period with Chennai Express, Happy New Year, Balki/Dholakia's next and his 2nd Rohit Shetty film. Then there's also Don 3 and Aditya Chopra's next to choose from.

Krisi_love_SRK says thanks.
  4. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Several, in fact quite a few, of those 'flops' are my favourite films - Asoka, Paheli, Swades, Dil Se, ZD.
    Guess I'm a little out of whack with the Indian public. :rolleyes: :lol:

And a lot of the others are ones I haven't seen, like Trimurti and Guddu where He only had a minor role so I don't really think of them as His films.

rubyroo says thanks.
  5. phul

phul SRK my heart my soul

Thats confuses me cause in Guddu Shah Rukh has the leading male Role. :confused2:

6. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Oh, has He? Then I'm wrong!

7. phul

phul SRK my heart my soul

Yes Maybe you mixed it up with Gudgudee?

8. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Yes, probably.

9. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Me too! Except he was darling in Trimurti and Guddu so I like them for that at least. I love a lot of the other flops too. I'm glad he made them. If everyone was like me his sucess rate would be like 90%.

Debbie and Krisi_love_SRK thank this.
  10. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

@rubyroo, If his overseas only record was taken into consideration, success rate must be closer to your number.

rubyroo says thanks.
  11. yummy

I think, this list has moved a few of his super hits and hits category. Can imagine the comments war beneath this article in the site indicine. :)

rubyroo says thanks.
  12. Karan#1

Would be slightly higher but a lot of the non hits in the 90s would still have been non hits overseas.

rubyroo says thanks.
  13. yummy

Many 90s movies didn't have a major release overseas I suppose. Back in 90s, SRK once openly said he signed some scripts blindly because he needed money to buy a home. Very honest of him. Some of early 90s films, were horrible when take in total like Guddu, English Babu Desi Mem etc (I do like some songs here and there in Guddu) ... I guess now he knows to identify a basic bad script when on paper.

rubyroo says thanks.
  14. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I've always thought he must have taken some of the early roles mainly because he was just starting out and needed the money. A newcomer, especially one who was an outsider couldn't have afforded to be all that picky. He is praised for taking the negative roles but I think he is to be praised for what he made of the roles even more than for his bravery in taking them.

15. Krisi_love_SRK

Krisi_love_SRK Well-Known Member

movies there flop are also very good,how can "Dil Se" to be flop,or"Swades",even"Paheli '' is good too and "Asoka" and Shahrukh have awards for best actor for most of them-"Asoka","Swades","Dil Se"...........but ok,whenever....Fact is that he is The Best expecally in Oversaes ,if Salman Khan is superstar in India,SRK is MEGA Global Star in World

nika, rubyroo and phul thank this.
  16. Ladyinred

Ladyinred Well-Known Member

Box-office. hits. flops - is it the most important, which counts the most in India? I think it's obsession with numbers - not only in Indian media, but among Indian cinema fans too. Film is good if it's hit, even if a script is poor. Fantastic films aren't appreciate because of box-office failure.
    I don't understand "Dil Se", "Asoka", "Swades"... are flops. How?
    I agree.

17. anesya

anesya Guest

whats wrong with people.
    few of the flops were actually really great.
    oh well..

rubyroo says thanks.
  18. yummy

The site in question, talks about business. And several of Hollywood's best which won awards and appreciations, aren't exactly Box office success either.

rubyroo says thanks.
  19. Karan#1

It's simple. Those films didn't appeal to the wider audience. Swades was very offbeat and the release date wasn't the best since it came just 3-4 weeks after veer zaara. Dil se was bold and controversial. And with Asoka, periodic films don't tend to work big in india and asoka wasn't overly great.

Perhaps today with the increase in multiplexes and acceptance of 'different' films, dil se and swades would be hits. But doesn't matter, swades and dil se are cult films.

yummy, Manikanta and rubyroo thank this.
  20. Manikanta

Very true...

yummy says thanks.