1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Shah Rukh promoting cheerleading as sport

Discussion in 'Knights & Angels' started by Bridget, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Shah Rukh promoting cheerleading as sport
    Cricketnext

Posted on Apr 01, 2009 at 18:04

[​IMG]
    New Delhi: After promoting hockey through his hit film Chak De! India and joining the Indian Premier League (IPL) to encourage cricket in India, Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan is now popularising cheerleading as a sport.

The actor says he is doing so through his TV reality show Knights and Angels that aims to find six cheerleaders who will cheer for Shah Rukh's Kolkata Knight Riders team at the IPL starting April 18.

"Knights and Angels is not a part of the marketing strategy for my cricket team. It is an extension of my belief in spreading the awareness of sports in India. Cheerleading is a big sport in America and cheerleaders have their own fan following," Shah Rukh said on the forthcoming episode of the show.

During last year's IPL season, the American concept of cheerleaders at sporting events was replicated here to add a dash of glamour and entertainment, but many felt it was vulgar and obscene and did not suit Indian sentiments.

To this, Shah Rukh said: "As the controversy hit our nation last year regarding this sport, I decided to add respectability to this profession (through my show). I think it can create great opportunities for the youth brigade."

http://cricketnext.in.com/news/shah-rukh-promoting-cheerleading-as-sport/39608-13.html

2. sheruka

sheruka SRK forever

SRK speaks about his angels- his own write up

SRK speaks about his angels -KKR cheer leaders. His admiration for sports.

He write this himself:)
    enjoy

http://i44.tinypic.com/5jwua0.jpg

3. srk-rulez

srk-rulez New Member

Re: SRK speaks about his angels- his own write up

great write up...will see on utube

4. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

It's his good intentions behind ventures like this that most people see as "marketing strategies" and being "business savvy"...but despite people always judging him and misinterpreting his intentions, he continues to selflessly give.:heart:

Thanks a lot Bridget and Shereen.:)

5. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

something is off about that :confused2:
    how did he encourage cricket in India? isnt it like sport #1 in India?

6. K

I think he meant as a profession. He said that out of a population of 1.2 billion, only 11 players make it to the National Cricket Team. I think he's trying to encourage it as a possibility for a valid profession (other than just doctor, lawyer, etc.) and is also trying to encourage the growth of sports overall by displaying the need for better resources, such as training facilities, sports camps, etc.:)

7. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

oh..
    alright..
    thanks Kaleeben lol

8. K

No problem!:p Assuming what I've said is even correct!:lol:

9. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

omg lol
    well, it sounded correct to me :lol:

10. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

IPL-2: Cheerleaders to add glamour quotient

Shah Rukh Khan has finally selected two beauties to join his cheerleader’s team in South Africa. Hopefully, it will boost the morale of the Kolkata Knight Riders. Last time around, there were plenty of controversies and the beauties were curbed.

THE IPL going overseas to South Africa has its own advantages. Shah Rukh Khan has finally selected two beauties to join his cheerleader’s team in South Africa. The cricket lovers back home would be disappointed that they would not be able to cheer for their teams in the field and that the hype would be at a lesser degree, but the organisers of IPL-2 have plenty of reasons to be happy about. One of these happiness factors pertains to the cheerleaders and their dress code which will be free from the shackles that weighed them down in the inaugural session.

Last time around, there were plenty of controversies and the beauties were not allowed to be free with their actions. Maharashtra had banned the glamour quotient.

The girls had to curtail their activities and appeared to be disinterested in the whole affair. They had to keep their vital assets properly covered and be subdued. They must have wondered - why such double standards? Bollywood movies grant permission to actresses to show their all without any questions asked. Switch to any music channel and the music videos appear to be interested only in such numbers that exhibit revealing dresses. Some of the videos have foreigners to make up the crowds and they also dance to the tunes. Why then the discrimination against the cheerleaders of cricket?

Anyway, the famous adage goes -- out of sight, out of mind. IPL2 players enjoy the freedom in South Africa, away from the eyes of the moral police. Your city folks might not be there to applaud your heroics but the cheerleaders will certainly be there to cheer your 4s and 6s – and there will not be any objections to the girls baring the maximum.

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=15764420