1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Shah Rukh Khan v/s Maneka Gandhi

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by Pakiza, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Pakiza

Pakiza New Member

Akbar Khan backs Shah Rukh; PETA’s Anuradha Sawhney says Maneka is right.
    Maneka Gandhi is seeking attention: Akbar Khan, filmmaker
    With due respect to Maneka Gandhi, I would say that she is seeking attention. She is superfluously informed about the treatment of animals in the film industry. Why is she targeting the film industry only?
    She has my full sympathies for her movement but I fail to see the logic in this particular issue.

The animals that are used in films are hired from owners; the rules for protection and safety apply to only them. If camels and elephants can be used for human interest, there should be no problem showing them on screen.
    As far as I’m concerned, Shah Rukh Khan is right. As long as animals are not harmed in any way, I don’t see any reason why someone other than the filmmaker should take a call on the portrayal of animals. It is unfair, and stifles creative freedom.

Rang De Basanti’ and ‘Taj Mahal’ have broken the law, says Anuradha Sawhney, chief functionary, People for Ethical Treatment of Animals
    Animals used in films are often treated as props. Some animals are drugged and some have their teeth and claws surgically removed or impaired.
    As per the Registration of Performing Animals Rules 2001, section 23 of chapter V of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960, any person desirous of using an animal in a film has to receive prior permission from the Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI).
    But the filmmakers of ‘Rang De Basanti’ did not take prior permission for using horses and neither did Akbar Khan for ‘Taj Mahal’. Yet the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) gave them the certification, despite a Bombay High Court ruling directing the applicant to furnish an NOC from AWBI before the film is certified.
    Both ‘Rang De Basanti’ and ‘Taj mahal’ have broken the law.
    As told to Tithi Sarkar

2. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

yes, why is all this stuff coming up about animals in movies? as long as the animals aren't being mistreated (like the drugging, etc. mentioned above)...seems like these directors/producers would be more aware of the law and have their permits in order first.

some of these people should perhaps focus on the dwindling numbers of tigers in the wild in india due to poaching. :mmph:

3. Meghna04

Meghna04 ChakDe SRK!

...Why is she targeting the film industry only?...

That's my question too!
    Ok, the animals should be protect and someone should look at that! But the animals don't need a person who exaggerate this!
    The animals need a protection in other too!

I don't believe that Shah Rukh does anything against the law!!!

4. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

O my God.......... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

5. Poonam

Poonam New Member

All this focus on animals in movies is obviously to grab eyeballs in the media. Thanks to India's humongous population, even human life is valued very low..so animals are nowhere on anybody's priority list.

Shah Rukh as usual had th best statement to make about all this a few days back. He said something to the effect that he would be more than willing to comply with whatever is legally required of him provided there are clearcut guidelines from the Animal Welfare Board. What he felt upset about was the arbitrary action against film-makers by just about any animal-rights organisation that saw fit to protest about something.

Anyway guys, Maneka Gandhi is a law unto herself. She was with me in school (yes !!!) . Even in those days, she was a maverick, very bright but kinda bratty and pushy. So she'll do just what she pleases and everyone else can go to hell. I've read some of her articles where she preaches about the harmful effects of drinking milk, eating fish....:biggrin1: ..quite a nutter !!! So Shah Rukh and company should maybe just avoid animals altogether !

6. ananya

ananya New Member

Well said Poo didi! Wow....u both were in the same skool?:jaw: Then u must be knowing her better than most of us!;)

7. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

just what i like...first-hand information. thanks, Poo.

yeah, it's definitely for the media exposure. at least shah rukh has had his dealings with this and will be prepared in the future. and he's right, there needs to be clear-cut regulations of this issue for filmmakers to follow. even though i don't think that would stop certain groups from protesting. it hasn't prevented similar incidents here in the States.

yeah, maybe shah rukh should stick to those swans in main hoon na. it seems to be the only thing that hasn't gotten flack lately.

8. Astri

Astri New Member

Maneka Gandhi is seeking attention

Absolutely she is. Shahrukh didnt do anything wrong.

9. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

LOL what a nutter alright. JO and Poo you hit right on the button. she is just seeking some attention. I don't see any harm in racing camels on or off screen, they've been ridden by humans for centuries. I don't see her complain about shooting a human on screen... why just racing a camel.??