1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Shah Rukh Khan takes onus of Dilwale loss, refunds 50 percent to the distributors

Discussion in 'Dilwale' started by tasifa, Feb 4, 2016.

1. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

Shah Rukh Khan takes onus of Dilwale loss, refunds 50 percent to the distributors
    DECCAN CHRONICLE. | ROHIT BHATNAGAR
    PublishedFeb 4, 2016, 2:51 pm IST
    UpdatedFeb 4, 2016, 3:14 pm IST
    This is a generous step taken by the actor, which may soon turn into practice.
    [​IMG]
    Recently, Shah Rukh had said, "I don’t think the film has done as well as it should have."

Mumbai: For Rohit Shetty's 'Dilwale', Shah Rukh Khan’s Red Chilles Entertainment turned distributor for the first time. They sold most of their territories in India and kept few areas like Mumbai with them. As the film was high on buzz and the return of SRK-Kajol was the highlight, the film got sold at a premium price.

However, due to certain controversies that got snowballed after Shah Rukh’s statement on intolerance, lot of regions didn’t get a proper release. Unfortunately, most of the shows had to be cancelled in few states of the country due to protest by various right wing organisations. They threatened to stop the screenings at local cinemas. Due to all this, the overall collections took a beating. The worldwide collections of Dilwale is the highest for any Shah Rukh film but it was in India that the numbers were below expectation.

Earlier this month at a press conference Shah Rukh Khan said that he wasn’t happy with the 'Dilwale' collections in India. He had said, “ I don’t think the film has done as well as it should have. I am personally disappointed with that.”

He had also said, “To be honest, it has perhaps not done as well in India as I would like it to do. But overseas it has done very well in a lot of countries like Germany, Austria. It is quite thrilling that Indian films are reaching far and wide. There are a lot of business opportunities."

Now, according to the trade buzz, Shah Rukh Khan has gone ahead and refunded 50 percent of the loss faced by the distributors.

Trade analyst Komal Nahata tweeted, “ SRK does what few wud do. Refunds 50% of the loss of distributors of his Dilwale. That's what u call a considerate producer."

When contacted senior trade analyst Kumar Mohan said, “ I appreciate whatever Shah Rukh has done. If the film doesn’t do well, why always the distributor should face losses. It’s a big step from Shah Rukh’s side and I believe this will turn into a practise. I am not saying it will become a trend but this should come into practice.”

When asked Vikas Mohan if Shah Rukh repaid the loss to the distributors he said, “There is no truth in this. If because of Dilwale, the current distributors are upset, in the future there will be another distributor for another film of his. No one pays back to the distributors.”

Down south, it is said that superstar Rajinikanth also takes ownership of his movies that sometimes don't do well. He also is of the same belief that if there are losses, everyone should bear it and not just the distributors.

http://deccanchronicle.com/entertai...s-refunds-50-percent-to-the-distributors.html

roger, Mara and Tash thank this.
  2. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

i don't really understand the logistics behind all this. but if it is true, and i believe it is, that's really generous of Shahrukh. i can see why he feels responsible but he really shouldn't.!!

roger, Mara and Rishima62 thank this.
  3. tasifa

True, he shouldn't! But again, he often shoulders things that he shouldn't. Remember when he said on KWK that if people were upset with him it was 100% his fault? That is so wrong. People do wrong by him and still he feels responsible. :(

roger, Mara and Rishima62 thank this.
  4. Rishima62

Rishima62 Defying Gravity

So true - that is so typical for him (and for a scorpio - not my intentions to generalize but I am the same most of the time :()

roger and Mara thank this.
  5. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I'm confused:
    "When asked Vikas Mohan if Shah Rukh repaid the loss to the distributors he said, “There is no truth in this. If because of Dilwale, the current distributors are upset, in the future there will be another distributor for another film of his. No one pays back to the distributors.”
    So did SRK repay 50% or didn't he? Mohan said he didn't. I hate these articles that claim something with big headlines, then deny it down toward the bottom of the article.

roger says thanks.
  6. tasifa

LOL I know. It is difficult to know what is the truth unless there is a public statement from Red Chillies or Shahrukh himself.

roger and Mara thank this.
  7. roger

roger Well-Known Member

Bada Dilwala King Khan

It’s not his first film which hasn’t delivered as expected, this time, what didn’t work in favour of the film was the price it was sold at. The film was sold to distributors at a record price and the business of the film was unable to make up for that.

If you haven’t guessed already, we are referring to Dilwale, produced by and featuring Shah Rukh Khan. But Khan being Khan has done the unthinkable. He has decided to return half the money to distributors who lost money on his film. As producer of the film, Khan himself coasted to safety. Besides, the film did tremendous business overseas. But being a bade dilwala, he didn’t want to have anyone who had shown faith in his company and his product suffering losses. So, he’s decided to shoulder half the losses.

He’s done something like this twice before, when his films Asoka andPaheli didn’t live up to expectations. After Asoka disappointed, Khan sold his next release Chalte Chalte at a price that was far less than it would have otherwise commanded to the same set of distributors.Chalte Chalte released along with UTV Motion Pictures via individual distributors.

When Paheli failed, Khan told Eros International, the partner of his next release Om Shanti Om, that distributors who had lost money on his previous project should be given preference for this film. He said they should get the first right to refuse the film and that it should also be given to them at a fair price. Om Shanti Om was a very hot project at the time of its release since it had Farah Khan as its director and she had made her debut as a director with a huge success in Main Hoon Na.

Khan’s funda is very clear – that he should not disappoint those who show faith in his company and his product. Here’s ending this piece with a line from one of his films – haar kar jitney waalon ko Baazigar kehte hain!

http://www.boxofficeindia.co.in/bada-dilwala-king-khan/

Mara says thanks.
  8. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

its acts like these he is given the title "KING"

nancy says thanks.
  9. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Good, its his fault too. Why make such a shi**y movie? SRKajol alone as popular as it is, is not enough to carry a movie when everything else is sh*t (and they also give weak performances and look bored).

Huge mistake from SRK and Kajol to make this, especially so late in their careers. Talented actors like them should know better.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016
  10. Rishima62

Really? Is it really neccessary to use bad language to express an opinion of a - my opinion too btw - movie which is not my or your taste? I don't think so.

afsha4srk and Alenka thank this.
  11. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Wait I thought you liked it? Anyway its not really bad language, "shi**y" seems normal to me. Why should I lie? Thats what the movie was for me, shit.

Also I suppose I'm just salty because its still by far the most disappointing movie from SRK's career for me. I gave it another chance and remembered how awful it was. There are movies that are just bad, nothing to do with taste and this is one of them (at least in my opinion).

I'm not against Masala if its done right at all but I had to cringe throughout this movie. Deserves all the hate as far as I'm concerned, just cheap trying to cash in on the most popular Jodi in Bollywood and then delivering something like this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016
  12. Rishima62

I liked it - but only the scenes between Kajol and Shah Rukh - I didn't like how this story was told --- anyway. And btw - Shah Rukh can never ever disappoint me, he doesn't owe me anything and I am not in any kind of personal relationship him (movies can maybe disappoint me but not he) - and also I am not "drolling" around "bad" things. But that is just me. Personally I do not like it when bad language is used in WWW and especially not when it comes to Shah Rukh and what he is doing, saying ...

afsha4srk and Alenka thank this.
  13. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Fair enough. I think he can disappoint as an actor, one doesnt need to be in a personal relationship with him for that.

Still obviously a big fan, love most of his movies. I think Dilwale was a mistake but there is nothing to be done about that now. Hopefully he does another movie with Kajol that does them both justice.