1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Shah Rukh Khan comes out strongly against the onscreen smoking ban

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by jihan, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jihan

jihan New Member

Shah Rukh Khan comes out strongly against the onscreen smoking ban
    Superstar Shah Rukh Khan lashed out at the Central Government for imposing a ban on onscreen smoking, saying, it hampers the creativity of the filmmaker.

Khan said imposing a ban on smoking in films should be left to the discretion of the director or producer.

“What is the limit of this kind of censorship? It is smoking today and next it may be drinking. Then what ban showing murder and love-making scenes? Where does this stop. This scuttles creativity. I think creativity needs to go on. Kolkata is a culture centre of our country, whether its painting, its poems or films by Mr. Ray, you cannot be telling what to do and what not to do,” Khan told reporters in Kolkata at the sidelines of inaugurating a hospital.

Personally though he wants to stop smoking and claims he has cut down on smoking, Khan said, “I respect the law and the ministry. As a cinema person I think banning smoking is not required”.

India had last year banned smoking scenes in movies and on television, saying that they glamorise the use of cigarettes.

In tough new regulations, the Health Ministry said distributors and directors would have to show health warnings on screens in old movies and TV shows, whether Indian or foreign, that showed actors smoking.

Health Ministry has already missed out several dates set for imposing the ban and there is still confusion among the film and television producers over its future as no intimation has been received yet.

However, the ban was to come into force from January 1, according to reports, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry is firm on not implementing the ban as it is.

The first deadline -- August 15 -- was announced by Health Minister A Ramadoss on World Anti-Tobacco Day on May 31. Later, the date had been put off to October 2 following representations from the entertainment industry which got support from the Information and Broadcasting Ministry.

Filing an affidavit in Delhi High Court on December 2, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry said it shared the concern of the Health Ministry to impose a ban on showing the use of tobacco products in films and television, but the creative expression of artists should not be curbed.

Actors smoking in movies is now a controversial issue in India.

When Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the Prime Minister, 25,000 signatures were sent to him demanding legislation in this regard.

Pressure from domestic and global health groups, Health Ministry and Supreme Court led to the Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003.

In May 2004, India banned smoking in public places such as railway stations and parks as well as tobacco advertising and sponsorship by tobacco firms of sporting events.

On September 26, Bollywood director-producer Mahesh Bhat had challenged the government’s direction to ban smoking scenes in films and TV serials, saying it would violate the right to freedom of expression enshrined in the Constitution.

Recently, Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan had to apologise to anti-tobacco lobby for appearing with a cigar on posters of his latest film, and promised not to be seen promoting smoking in films.

Hit by a barrage of criticism from social organisations and the public, 63-year old Bachchan promised to ensure that he would not promote smoking in Bollywood promotions in future.

According to the World Health Organisation's estimations, smoking is linked to more than 800,000 deaths in India per year.

Thailand also banned smoking scenes in films in 2000.

[newkerala.com]

2. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

Thanks Jihan.:smile:

3. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

so whats the outcome? did they reach a final decision?
    thanks jihan, good to see you here :)