Shah Rukh Khan acquires 26% stake in KidZania

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by danshula, Jul 5, 2011.

1. danshula

danshula Well-Known Member

Shah Rukh Khan acquires 26% stake in KidZania

MUMBAI: Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan has acquired 26% strategic stake in the Indian franchise of KidZania, an international chain of family entertainment centres. The $3.5-billion Comcraft Group, which holds the franchise for Kidzania in India, had been scouting for a significant minority investor to add value to the Indian project and decided to bring the Bollywood star on board, said people familiar with the development.

"He brings strategic value to the deal in that he is a brand himself," said an official with knowledge of the deal. The Comcraft Group is owned by NRI Chandaria family with diverse interests in about 40 countries across the globe. Mexico-based KidZania is an interactive family entertainment centre or indoor park that allows children between 5 and 13 age group to role-play adult occupations in a miniature city.

It has activities designed to mimic real-life and functioning economy. The more than .`100-crore "edutainment centre" project will unveil its first leg in India in 2012 at R City Mall in Mumbai's Ghatkopar area. The centre will be spread over more than 70,000 square feet. Similar edutainment centres are also likely to be opened later in Delhi and Bangalore. Attempts to reach Khan's business manager on her cell phone were unsuccessful while an email query to Punit Krishna of Comcraft Group went unanswered. The investment transaction was advised by Altamount Capital Management, India's multi-family office. Vvikas Aroraa, director of marketing, sales and leasing with real estate developer Runwal Group, confirmed the opening of Kidzania at R City.

"We expect KidZania to be a major crowd-puller," he said. Aroraa, who anticipates more customers from high disposable income category with the opening of Kidzania, plans to populate Runwal's second phase with more international brands. Currently, R City Mall is spread over 7 lakh sq ft area and receives an average footfall of 1.7 to 2 million every month. KidZania will be located in the second phase of R City Mall, spread over 5 lakh sq ft, which will commence by September. Aroraa expects footfalls to increase to more than 2.5 million post opening of the second phase. The Runwal Group has a lease agreement for up to nine years with KidZania.

"The agreement provides us with minimum guaranteed lease in addition to revenue sharing depending on the earnings milestones achieved by the store," he said. Aroraa, however, declined to comment on lease rent being paid by KidZania franchisee, Comcraft. Currently, lease rentals at the mall are about Rs150-200 per sq ft a month. For Kidzania there will be two sources of income: one from ticket sales and two from individual or corporate sponsor stalls or marketing partners who want to put up their brands in the mock-up city (as is the business model globally).

For the latter it would mean that they can get their brand, products or services closer to kids and their families. For instance in Lisbon, Portuguese paint company CIN sponsors a house where children wearing red smocks and face masks paint walls. In the Sony studio -the company is a partner in five parks -they can learn to be photographers.

"Comcraft is in the process of talking to various brands for their Kidcity," said an official privy to the deal. Ticket prices range depending on the market from about $15 in Mexico City to around $45 in Tokyo. In India, tickets may be priced around Rs500-700 per child.

Source: Economic Times http://bit.ly/qOykO7

SRKdream, Angel_SRK, Wafa and 2 others thanked this.

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. MeryamaSRK

MeryamaSRK DON-ish

The concept is very interesting! But it's still very far ahead..

4. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

We have something like this on a much smaller scale at our local science Museum - without the sponsorship branding!
    Kids just love it, and so do their parents. :D

5. marro

marro srksmarro

I remember something like that being done in my home town of Wilmington NC about 2 yrs ago.It was quite successful. It also helped the kids to realize the value of things. It was done as an experiment through one of the local High schools.

6. phul

phul SRK my heart my soul

SRK to bring KidZania to city by early next year

PTI | 05:06 PM,Jun 14,2012

Mumbai, Jun 14 (PTI) After tasting success with cricket, Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan is entering the education-cum-enterainment space by bringing the Mexico-based global edutainment brand KidZania to the country. KidZania is being brought in the domestic market by ImagiNation Edutainment India, which is promoted by Khan, with 26 per cent interest, and KidZ Inc of Singapore, which holds the remaining 74 per cent. "We are planning to open three KidZania centres in the country over the next three years. The first one will open in Mumbai early next year," KidZania India Director and Chief Executive Sanjeev Kumar told PTI here today. Around Rs 300 crore are being lined up to develop the three KidZania centres, which will combine entertainment with education, he said, adding that the other centres will be in Delhi NCR and Bangalore. About 85 per cent of the funds will be raised by promoters through a combination of equity and debt while the rest will be through industry partnership. The Mexico-based KidZania, which is present in seven countries with 10 centres, creates a kid-centric city experience for the 4-14 year olds by combining role play with fun and learning, where kids would get an authentic and powerful development experience. The centres are spread across 75,000 sq ft with over 60 establishments and over 75 role-playing options for kids. "Our source of revenue will be through tickets, which will be around Rs 700 for a kid, corporate events and CSR activities among others," Kumar added. PTI SM BEN GK GK
    http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfe...zania-to-city-by-early-next-year/1011734.html

iamsrking says thanks.
  7. Ella

Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

RizwanaShahrukh, Tash and iamsrking thank this.
  8. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

Tash, phul, iamsrking and 1 other person say thanks.
  9. mumbiene

Shah Rukh Khan to open world class theme park in Mumbai

November 20th, 2012 by Mohar Basu

Shah Rukh Khan at an event
    Shah Rukh Khan has always weaved a picture perfect image of being the ideal family man. He embodies the perfect husband and personifies the most doting father ever! He never misses functions at his children’s schools despite being on run, packed with a tight schedule. He somehow always keeps room for his exclusive family time. Recently the actor, took his affection further by buying 26% stake in Kidzania which is a Mexican Entertainment Company catering mainly to entertainment for kids. Shah Rukh Khan has decided to collaborate with Kidzania and open a theme park in Mumbai soon.
    SRK tweeted on the social networking site today, “Goıng to launch my pet project…the KIDZANIA experıence…v dont say Hı…v say KAI!! Hope the kıds & parents bond closer when ıt opens”. This is definitely not the first time that King Khan is exhibiting his paternal affections so openly. His overwhelming love for his children drives him to do to the sweetest things he can as a father. He often poses for his daughter Suhana. He agreed to make Ra.One, a long standing dream of his son Aryan that India should improvise on the technical aspects of superhero films.
    Sources have pointed out that Shah Rukh was visiting a mall inDubaiwith his kids and both Aryan and Suhana loved Kidzania in Dubai Mall. SRK was so elated to see his children excited that he decided to team up with Kidzania and open a theme park in Mumbai as well. This has opened up opportunities for more children to enjoy world class entertainment options in their city without traveling abroad. The first venture of the company is all set to start working on the park in Mumbai’s R City Mall.
    Shah Rukh Khan had been interested in opening a park for kids for quite sometime now. Being a doting parent that he is, SRK is very fond of children in general. Kidzania is a very reputed world class Edutainment brand and getting it toIndiais a decision that will affect the level of children’s entertainment inIndiain a big way! His colleagues like Salman Khan, have been engaged in children based issues for a long time now which includes NGO work for underprivileged children. It’s now time for Shah Rukh Khan to reach out to his younger generation of admirers. KoiMoi wishes Shah Rukh Khan all the luck for his noble ventures.

http://www.koimoi.com/bollywood-news/shah-rukh-khan-to-open-world-class-theme-park-in-mumbai/

10. Sofie

Sofie Well-Known Member

Wow this is great!:cheer2:It's good to see him investing money in building a theme park since the man himself is so fond of kids & games!:D

11. mumbiene

Shah Rukh Khan co-owned KidZania India to launch in April next year
    The Bollywood actor owns 26% in the Indian franchise of the indoor edutainment theme park
    Gaurav Laghate / Mumbai Nov 20, 2012, 20:45 IST

The Mexican edutainment brand, KidZania, will launch its first theme park in India in April 2013, in R City Mall in Mumbai with Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan as a strategic investor in the venture.
    Khan owns 26% in ImagiNation Edutainment India Pvt Ltd, which holds the franchise for the India operations. The remaining 74% is owned by Singapore-based KidZ Inc., owned by Comcraft Group, Xander Group and Maxfield Management Ltd.

“We invest close to $15-25 million on each park. The Mumbai one the investment is around $20 million (Rs 100 crore). We are hoping to breakeven in the first year itself,” KidZania India Director and CEO Sanjeev Kumar told Business Standard.

The Mumbai theme park is spread across 75,000 sq ft with over 75 role-playing options for kids via 60 establishments. KidZania is about real life experiences, empowering, inspiring, and educating kids through role-play, such as being a chef, pilot, surgeon, nurse, lawyer, fire-fighter, police officer, actor, reporter, artist, newscaster, photographer etc.

Kumar said that while the first centre will be self-funded, for the next two centres – in Delhi NCR and Bangalore – the company will look at various fund raising options.

Meanwhile, talking about his interest in the venture, Khan said, “I am a believer in business where we can create a product to touch the hearts of end-consumers. Here in KidZania, there is a product which is close to my heart, it is for kids and it is entertaining. All that I want to do.”

As a concept, KidZania combines education and entertainment rendering real life experiences that empower, inspire and educate children. It engages kids between 4 to 14 years with environmental stewardship, career exploration and social consciousness activities. It’s built to the size and scale for children and emulates the workings of a real city.

The entry ticket for the kids will be in the range of Rs 700 for five-hours and it will be all inclusive. “We will also have subsidised rates for kids who can not afford the tickets as a part of CSR partnerships and we also run mobile vans in cities where we will reach out to more people with out audio visuals,” Kumar further added.

The revenue come from ticket sales and brands partnerships. World over, KidZania is present in seven countires with 11 centres and 12 more under development to be launched by 2014. It has brand partnership with over 500 brands including Unilever, P&G, Nestle, Cadbury Kraft, HSBC, DHL, Mattel, Honda, Emirates Airlines, Coca-Cola, Hyundai, HP, Sony, Dominos and Pizza Hut.
    http://www.business-standard.com/in...india-to-launch-in-april-next-year-/196620/on

iamsrking, RizwanaShahrukh and Tash thank this.
  12. mumbiene

Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 22:13
    Shah Rukh Khan owns franchise of children's edutainment biz

Shahrukh Khan speaks to CNBC-TV18 about what propelled him into own the Indian franchise of children's edutainment brand, Kidzania.

With his various business ventures achieving commercial success, be it his production house or his IPL team, actor Shah Rukh Khan has proved that he is an astute entreprenuer as well. The superstar has now entered into a joint venture with Singapore-based Kidz Inc by picking up a 26-percent stake.
    Through this JV, Shah Rukh Khan has become the franchise-holder for the Indian operations of 'Kidzania', the world's leading edutainment brand, which is opening its very first indoor edutainment theme park at Mumbai. The park will open doors in April 2013 and will offer kids between 4-14 years a chance to engage in fun-based-learning opportunities.

Following Kidzania Mumbai, two more parks will launched in Bangalore and in the National Capital Region (NCR). Shahrukh Khan speaks to CNBC-TV18 about what propelled him into this new foray.

"(Any business proposition) has to appeal to some kind of an emotion or passion in me. I like sports whether it is kabaddi, hockey and football. Now I have reached a stage where my kids also sometimes question me. I don't have plans to make short-term gains from a business."

Watch Video

Excerpts from India Business Hour on CNBC-TV18 Watch the full show »
    http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...ranchisechildrens-edutainment-biz_785180.html

Suz, Vegainko, mira_khan and 3 others thanked this.
  13. mumbiene

Shahrukh Khan brings KidZania to India

– November 20, 2012Posted in: Events, Latest News
    [​IMG]KidZania, the world’s leading edutainment brand will soon be opening its very first indoor theme park in Mumbai. Bollywood superstar and popular icon amongst children, Shahrukh Khan is instrumental in bringing the brand to India. The first center of KidZania is slated to open in April 2013 at R City Mall, Mumbai. The city for children is spread across 75,000 square feet, and will have buildings, paved streets, vehicles and recognizable destinations, offering kids more than 75 role-playing options in its 60 establishments.
    KidZania is an edutainment concept that combines education and entertainment rendering real life experiences that empower, inspire and educate children. It engages kids between 4 to 14 yrs with environmental stewardship, career exploration and social consciousness activities. It’s built to the size and scale for children and emulates the workings of a real city. Just like in the real world, the KidZania city has its own functioning economy and currency (kidZos), and kids learn the value of money as they have to earn, spend and save kidZos. Blending reality with entertainment, KidZania is exclusively designed to help kids strengthen their ability to manage their world through key aspects of learning ranging from society functions, financial literacy, adult professions, team work, independence, real life skills and self-esteem.
    [​IMG]ImagiNation Edutainment India Pvt. Ltd., a joint venture between Singapore based Kidz Inc. Pte. Ltd. and Shahrukh Khan, holds the franchise for the India operations. Following the KidZania Mumbai launch will be KidZania centers in the National Capital Region and Bengaluru. Speaking on his association, Shahrukh Khan, Actor and co-promoter of KidZania India said, “I am proud to be part of the team bringing KidZania into India, as I know it will make a difference to the children here. As a parent, I realise that children are most receptive when they are having fun, so a platform like KidZania that brings entertainment and education together will add value to their lives. India is a young country and we need to focus on building a strong future – KidZania will in many ways provide that by building awareness amongst our children through an experience that is hands-on, engaging, educational, and most importantly, fun.”
    Speaking on the India foray, Sanjeev Kumar, Director and CEO, KidZania India, “Brands are a key component of the experience as they make it authentic by linking it to the real world. We are looking at partnering with brands that are aligned to the KidZania philosophy of developing the future of children.”
    Headquartered in Mexico, KidZania was founded in 1996 by a young entrepreneur, Xavier Lopez, who dreamt of creating a place where kids could have fun while enjoying real life experiences. KidZania believes that kids can make a difference and its mission is to provide an environment that empowers them to explore, challenge themselves and open their minds to new experiences. Till date, KidZania has a footprint in 7 countries worldwide across 11 centers, with 12 more centers underdevelopment and to be launched by 2014.
    http://glamgold.com/?p=37588

Tash, Wafa and Suz thank this.
  14. mumbiene

I live hand-to-mouth: Shah Rukh Khan

Shah Rukh Khan has always been known for his sharp business acumen. After a production house and a cricket team, SRK will now be seen promoting a new business venture, that of a theme park for children. An excerpt from an interview:
    Shah-Rukh-Khan_18.jpg
    How did this theme park come about?
    I have children and unfortunately I can’t go out too often in Mumbai or for that matter even in India. I was in Dubai a few years ago, when my wife had plans to go out with her gang and she asked me to drop my daughter (Suhana) off at this place. It was inside a mall, which belongs to my friend Mohammed. My daughter spent some eight hours there. For the next three days she was only talking about it and how beautiful it was.
    It’s not the first business venture you’ve come up with. What do you consider beforehand?
    I always do things keeping three things in mind. First is entertainment, which I also do for a living, secondly I am a firm believer of education and I think that has held me in good stead. I come from a very poor family and I think I have overcome poverty because of education. Thirdly, I love children. Even when I was in Delhi doing theatre, I did everything towards entertaining kids. In fact, I always tell all my actress-friends that I will take care of their children. I had taken many kids to the IPL matches and ladaai bhi hui thi wahah. The kids, on the other hand, treat me as an equal.
    You recently said that no one listens to you at home. Is that true?
    I normally ask my kids before making a big decision, which includes films as well. In fact, my son saw Jab Tak Hai Jaan and said it is a Shah Rukh Khan feel-good kind of a film. Even the cricket team (KKR) was because of my kids. In fact, half-way through when people thought that I would sell the team, my son came and told me ‘Papa, we’re not selling it and we have to win’. I am glad I will make kids smile with this one.
    With your acting commitments, who keeps track of your business and finance?
    I don’t have any business advisors as such. I don’t invest big money anywhere. I have Karuna Badwal (manager) and Karim Morani and I have Rajaramji who is my old accountant. I never discuss money or the business aspect and I don’t get in to it. Jai Mehta takes the cricket decisions for me and I only bring belief to the table. I live hand-to-mouth and I love it that way. I guess that is why I am the King and I don’t get into the nonsense of savings, money, etc.
    http://www.mid-day.com/entertainmen...ywood-I-live-hand-to-mouth-Shah-Rukh-Khan.htm

Wafa, Vegainko, Tash and 2 others thanked this.
  15. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

Hand to mouth ...hmmm... that's confusing... :confusing2:

Actually I would prefer that Shah does keep a track of his finances...atleast twice a year... Being an accountant myself I see lots of people being "screwed" because of not doing this.

Secondly, "trusting" other people with your money... no matter how close you think you are to them... is dangerous. The last thing anyone would want is for someone to "clean them out" and leave them with debt...

May he be protected from this... I somehow just don't like the fact that he leaves so much in other people's care...

16. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I agree he is so trusting and believing in people....which I love about him, but it can be a very dangerous thing in business.

17. mumbiene

Oye! Masala

Shah Rukh Khan talks about theme park, he’s gonna start

Category: Masala
    Published on Saturday, 24 November 2012 07:46
    Written by Goher Iqbal Punn

Mumbai: Shah Rukh Khan is the King of Bollywood and he is real king in actual world as well. He says in an interview that he lives hand to mouth and does not believe in savings etc. Besides the films, production and the ownership of a cricket team Kolkata Knight Riders, he is now going to start a new business i.e. a theme park for the kids. How did this idea of a theme park hit his mind? Well, to let the world know the answer, he reveals that he has the kids but unfortunately he cannot find the time to take them to the holidaying places in Mumbai and even in India.

He goes on saying that he was in Dubai few years back when his wife asked him to drop the daughter to a shopping mall. Inside the mall, which he says that belongs to his friend, the idea of a theme park clicked his mind. Khan’s daughter spent around eight hours at the mall and for the following three days, she kept on talking big about the mall.

When asked what he considers before doing any business? He responds that he keeps three things in mind always – entertainment, education and kids. He makes the point that he belongs to a very poor family and whatever he is today and how he overcame the poverty is because of his education.

He also mentions that he always makes decisions talking with his kids. Even for the films, he asks his kids and then signs the movies.

Well, a theme park is on way and we will soon hear some good news about this park which would certainly be a mammoth one for the enticement of the kids.
    http://www.oyetimes.com/cinema/masala/32205-shah-rukh-khan-talks-about-theme-park-he-s-gonna-start

zheni and Wafa thank this.