1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Scene by Scene: Mohabbatein Climax

Discussion in 'Mohabbatein' started by Bridget, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Scene by Scene: Mohabbatein Climax
    By Priyal Sanghvi - BollySpice.com
    28 Oct 2009

[​IMG]

Like many movie buffs my film tastes vary constantly. A Hollywood drama, a Govinda comedy and a Satyajit Ray masterpiece can all hold a place in my favourites, regardless of box office verdicts. Mohabbatein was not a runaway hit when it was released in 2001. The Times of India's Khalid Mohammed gave it a two star rating and criticised the warped narrative, the heavy bosoms of the young actresses and the length of the film. For almost two and a half hours I believed the same until I arrived at the climax scene scene.

THE SCENE:
    Narayan Shankar (Amitabh Bachchan) the principal of Gurukul school has issued a diktat to the students that love is forbidden and shall not be tolerated. However, Raj Aryan (Shah Rukh Khan) the new music teacher believes in the other end of the spectrum, that it is best to love and do what your heart tells you. Raj's love is Megha, Mr. Shankar's daughter, who committed suicide in an earlier scene because she could not choose between her father and Raj. In between this struggle are three young lovers (Uday Chopra, Jugal Hansraj and Jimmy Shergill) who have found the women of their dreams and are now about to be thrown out of Gurukul. The school has a reputation that no student who is expelled will get admission elsewhere.

Raj decides to accept defeat and beg Mr. Shankar not to throw out the boys. He visits Mr. Shankar's home on a rainy night before the dismissal and finds him lighting a lamp below his late daughter's picture. The thunder crashes and leaves you in no doubt that the film is reaching its climax.

Raj begs forgiveness and agrees to do what Mr. Shankar wishes in exchange for the students' education. Mr. Shankar instructs him to declare to the school that his (Raj) teachings were all false and meaningless. Shankar haughtily says that in the war between fear and love, love always wins.

[​IMG]

As Raj moves to leave, he stops in his tracks and points out that all he sees is a 55-year-old father reminiscing over his dead 19-year-old daughter. Mr. Shankar was lost then and is lost now. He reveals that his real reason for coming to Gurukul was to share Mr. Shankar's pain and to show him love. He says Megha needs both her lover and her father united, to complete her.

WHY IT'S SO SPECIAL:
    The whole movie had Raj instructing the kids to break all the rules and violate school discipline to pursue love. This did not go down well with anyone, including my 14-year-old self. Why pursue this obsession at apparently all costs? Hence the all-important last scene was a must for the movie to redeem itself. And it surely did.

The setting was the right one. The wooden furnishings, brown walls and fireplace give out a sense of warmth, coziness and intimacy. Unlike other climactic scenes taking place out in the open with hundreds of people, this scene needed intimacy.

This scene would not have been as effective had it not been for its two lead actors. Amitabh is the superstar of the millennium, while Shah Rukh is the King of Bollywood. Until that scene, Amitabh had always been arrogant, strong and completely convinced of his philosophy. This is the first time he lets down his guard. It is obvious that Aditya Chopra has left the best until last - the dialogue is very powerful. The line "Aap zindagi ki har jung jeete chale aaye par zindagi ke saare sahare haarte chale aayein" ('you have been winning all of life's battles but have lost all of life's supporters') sums up Mr. Shankar's situation effectively. Shah Rukh on the other hand can make one teary-eyed within minutes. Narayan Shankar's character was obvious within the first fifteen minutes but the depth of Raj Aryan's ethos is revealed in this scene.

The same magic was later repeated in the final confrontation scene of Karan Johar's Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham where once again the authoritarian Yashvardhan Raichand melts down and confesses his love for his son Rahul. Bachchan and Shah Rukh create magic on screen every time. When combined, it is a powerhouse of the nation's best actors as demonstrated by this scene which won the Best Scene of the Year at Filmfare Awards in 2001.

http://www.bollyspice.com/view.php/3669-scene-by-scene-mohabbatein-climax.html#at

LINK TO VIDEO OF THE SCENE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QBeyPHDNVo&feature=player_embedded

2. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

I love Mohabbatein:love:
    I was watching it only last night

3. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

my first SRK movie :love:
    this is just a special movie to me and that last scene along with the one where Amitabh calls for SRK and they hug and and then at the end where they walk and Aishwarya appears holding their hands :hurt::hurt: just beautiful :love:

4. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

this is such a beautiful movies but i dont care for the 3 newbie couples :tsk:
    they are just so boring

I love SRK in this movie, he played the character from his heart and i also like all the scenes between SRK and amitabh :clap2:

5. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

I like this movie only for Shahrukh, he was awesome in this film, the 3 other people weren't ALL that necessary but they also had nice love stories.

6. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

well, i read somewhere i think Still Reading Khan, that the movie was basically for those 3 love stories, Aryan and Megha's love story came later when Aditiya narrated the story to his parents and they suggested to add one more central love story [not sure if it was his parents tho]

i love the 3 love stories, they added up action to the movie.. if it was only Aryan's love story then i think the movie wouldnt have the same emphasize on the real reason behind the whole idea of the movie like it would with these love stories..

7. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

^Yeah, that is true. :)

8. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

This film is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooooooooo long... :bored: but yes, the climax is really powerful... The only interesting story line in it is the one with Shahrukh, Amitabh and Aish... It's one of Shahrukh's films I've seen the least times, bacause I can't bring myself to watch yhose 3½ hours too often....

9. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

yeah I agree
    I love that film and I didn't find it long at all. The SRK-Ash parts was just beyond sweet. They looked really nice together. My sister was like that was when Ash was nice lol and after no more SRK-Ash...Ash was like.......:D

10. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

:lol: she is sooo right!

11. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

:D:D
    I don't know what happen to her:noidea:
    ok, maybe I do but still:D

12. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

Mish, you're 100% right, no matter how many awards she wins, how many HW movies she's in (as a Junior Artist) but the truth is that after she quit making movies with Shahrukh, her "golden glowing" career hit the bottom of the sea. Swimming from the bottom is a tough job, you know.

13. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

well lets just say that she hasn't won many awards and I don't see her winning too many in the future unless IIFA make up some kind of award and give it to her like they did this year (since her Big B is part of that award.)
    Too bad for her.

They all need the KING:)

14. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

i cry through the whole climax everytime! :hurt:

15. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

it's one of the most powerful climax I have ever seen...