1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Sawf News Review

Discussion in 'Don Media Reviews' started by cute_srk, Oct 26, 2006.

1. cute_srk

cute_srk Well-Known Member

The New Don Prevails
    Posted on October 20, 2006 (EST)

[​IMG]

Shahrukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra in Don
    Ritest Sidhwan's remake of Don, directed by Farhan Akhtar, is a Diwali gift the nation can truly relish. It packs three hours of world class entertainment.

The screenplay is largely based on the original film but fleshed to make the racy action and slick screenplay more plausible. With a penchant to cross his t's and dot his i's and a firm grasp of the art of filmmaking, Farhan Akhtar has scaled new heights in film making with Don.

Shah Rukh Khan's performance in the film is expectedly outstanding. In a role that is hatke from the melodrama that he is known to excel in, he has given a very convincing performance as the cruel and ruthless underworld Don. As Vijay, of course, he was in his elements.

Priyanka Chopra gives a good account of herself in a performance that could well be a defining one for her. In parts she is brilliant, especially in the manner that she managed to convey the pent up rage within her. However, at other times, like in the dance sequences, she looks decidedly out of place.

Boman Irani is known to be a good actor. However, with his performance in a meaty role as DCP DeSilva he has raised the bar, perhaps for himself.

Kareena Kapoor's sizzled in her cameo, but that may well be because I like ladies with some flesh. Many of you may feel that she has put on some weight and not in the right places.

Om Puri and Arjun Rampal too have given creditable performances.

More than the good performances, Don stands out for its slick screen play and excellent photography. The film opens with an action sequence that puts you on the edge of your seat and keeps you there for quite a while. However, the heady pace then slows down as the director focuses on fleshing out the characters and laying the foundation for a plot that is definitely complicated. This takes time and the loss of momentum, though essential to the plot, is a minor blemish. It also prepares the ground for a twist in the plot, a deviation from the original, that not only adds to the thrills but enhances the plausibility of the subsequent action sequences.

Any review of Don would be incomplete if it did not dwell on the number Khaike Paan Banaras... that was associated with the cult status of the original film. SRK has once again made it memorable part of the movie though its insertion in the script appeared contrived...or let me put it this way...more contrived than in the original.

So far I have deliberately skirted a comparison of the remake with the original. Frankly I think, the same story line notwithstanding, the films are made in different eras and so a comparison would be odious.

The original Don may have acquired cult status but it was never a great film. Its story line was weak and screenplay largely dismal using techniques more suited to the stage. The film was a thumping success because Amitabh Bachchan was brilliant and riding the crest of a popularity wave. My hunch is if the original Don was shown in multiplexes today it would not even excite diehard Don fans now used to seeing much better screen plays and cinematography, let alone the youth of today.

I could write more. Indeed I could write a lot more but that would defeat the purpose of a review. What you want to know is whether you should see this movie. I think you have the answer already. Run!