1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Sad News about Yash Chopra

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by Ella, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Ella

Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

I just read on twitter: All News Channels are reporting:

Yash Chopra passed away :( :( :(

MaryAnnK and Mara thank this.
  2. Ella

Yash Chopra dies at 80

NDTV Correspondent | Updated: October 21, 2012 19:01 IST

Mumbai: Veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra, 80, has died in Mumbai.

Mr Chopra was admitted to Mumbai's Lilavati Hospital last Saturday with dengue fever. On Wednesday, he was reported to have improved and was expected to be discharged soon.

Mr Chopra's 22nd film, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, starring Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma, will release this Diwali.

Mr Chopra is survived by his wife Pamela and two sons Aditya and Uday.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/yash-chopra-dies-at-80-282594

MaryAnnK, RizwanaShahrukh and Mara thank this.
  3. Prerna Dewan

Prerna Dewan Well-Known Member

Veteran Bollywood director Yash Chopra no more

In a tragic turn of events, legendary Bollywood director Yash Chopra passed away at the age of 80, at Mumbai’s Lilavati hospital where he was being treated for dengue fever.
    Chopra had recently turned 80, and his latest film Jab tak Hain Jaan starring Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif is scheduled to release on diwali. Chopra had indicated that this would be his last directorial venture.

Known for making some of the best love stories like Daag, Kabhie Kabhie, Silsila, Chandniand Lamhe and action dramas like Deewar and Trishul, the veteran has been busy shooting for his last directorial project – Jab Tak Hai Jaan.In 1973, Chopra founded his own production company, Yash Raj Films, and launched it with Daag: A Poem of Love (1973), a successful melodrama about a polygamous man.

Shah Rukh Khan hosted a special chat with Chopra as he turned 80 last month.
    According to an NDTV report, Yash Chopra, whose heroes are often the poetic brooding type, had once himself tried his hand at poetry. The director had written a poem for actress Meena Kumari. Chopra also revealed that Meena Kumari had encouraged him to become an actor. But it was Vyajayanthimala, who advised him to focus on direction.

When Shah Rukh asked the reason why he had waited for eight years after Veer Zara to make Jab Tak Hai Jaan, the ever-so-sincere Chopra said that he was afraid that there were too many good movies being made and he might not be able to meet the standards set by them.

SRK finally asked the question that perhaps all of us have been wondering about for years – that how does Yash Chopra make his actresses look so beautiful?
    Chopra replied, “God has made women beautiful. I respect all women. I don’t see any badness in them. I am doing my duty by making God’s beautiful creation even more beautiful.”

yash chopra.jpeg

http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/veteran-bollywood-director-yash-chopra-no-more-497842.html

4. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

That sounds so unreal.....as if it can't possibly be true....

R.I.P. the master director.

MaryAnnK and ASLH thank this.
  5. sami16

sami16 a fan not a fanboy

Sad. Real sad. Another yesteryear director passes away, and not just any but Yash Chopra, the king of romance, he made so many films but Deewar, Darr and Silsila stand out as his best in my opinion. Out of respect, Son of Sardar should move from its released date imo, allow the full diwali period for JTHJ out of rememberance for Yash Chopra, JTHJ has just become a first day first show for me.

sistlashyamu and Mara thank this.
  6. Sofie

Sofie Well-Known Member

Just heard the news too!:Cry: My God this is really shocking & heartbreaking! I don't know how I'm going to enjoy watching JTHJ on big screen now that I've heard this sad news. I feel the sign is already there when he mentioned that JTHJ will be his last direction & felt that he has accomplished what he desire to do through this film. May his soul RIP.:rip: It must be devastating for Shah Rukh after he looses Ravi Dada just the other day.:pout:

Mara says thanks.
  7. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

He made movies "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", "As Long As I Have Life". What a special person with such a special gift to share with humanity. He will be deeply missed. How wonderful that SRK was able to leave that great interview with him before he passed. I was just watching it again yesterday with English subtitles. A truely great human being.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  8. Yeh Dil

Yeh Dil He is my live

It makes me sad .... one of the most outstanding people leave us .... may his soul rest in peace .... thanks for all the wonderful moments ... thanks for the last conversation between him and Shahrukh ... he will always remain in our memories ... may his family and friends have the strength to cope with this loss ... god / allah protect them

Mara says thanks.
  9. Prerna Dewan

Yash Chopra no more

Veteran Hindi filmmaker and ‘King of Romance’ Yash Chopra passed away at a hospital in Mumbai on Sunday.
    Chopra, who celebrated his 80th birthday on September 27, had been admitted to the Lilavati hospital in Mumbai last week on account of dengue infection, hospital sources said.
    Chopra, known for landmark Bollywood films such as Trishul, Deewar, Silsila,Chandni and Dil To Pagal Hai, during his career spanning over five decades, had said on his birthday last month that his upcoming film Jab Tak Hai Jaanwould he his last movie as a director.
    Lilavati hospital spokesperson said Chopra was in the ICU for the past few days.
    Chopra, 80, is survived by wife and two sons, filmmaker Aditya Chopra and actor-producer Uday Chopra.
    Yash Raj Chopra was born in Lahore, now in Pakistan, on September 27, 1932. He began his career as an assistant director to his elder brother B.R. Chopra and directed his own first film Dhool Ka Phool in 1959.
    The Chopra brothers made several more movies together during the late 50s and 60s.
    Chopra’s first commercial as well as critical success was Waqt (1965), a multi-starrer family drama.
    In 1973, Chopra founded his own production company Yash Raj Films.
    Though he started out in late 50s, Chopra always had his finger on the pulse of the audience and continued to deliver blockbusters in every following decade.
    His repertoire includes iconic Angry Young Man films like Trishul and Deewar, both featuring Amitabh Bachchan in central roles, but in the later years Chopra was more and more associated with the ‘romance’ genre.
    Reacting to the news, filmmaker Subhash Ghai said, “Yashji was the guru of industry. He was always full of energy. He will be remembered forever.”
    Director-producer Mahesh Bhatt said the “news is heart breaking.”
    Yash chopra.jpg
    http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/yash-chopra-no-more/article4019419.ece?homepage=true

MaryAnnK and paria thank this.
  10. Prerna Dewan

Yash Chopra, Bollywood's 'king of romance' passes away

New Delhi: Veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra, who was known as Hindi cinema's 'king of romance' for making some of Bollywood's most memorably intense romantic dramas, passed away in Mumbai on Sunday. He was suffering from dengue.
    Chopra had celebrated his 80th birthday on September 27. 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan', starring Shah Rukh Khan was his final film as director. Regarded as the country's king of celluloid romance, Chopra has also proved his mettle with intensely emotional and tragic movies, many of which went on to become box-office blockbusters.
    Chopra had been admitted to a hospital in Mumbai with an attack of dengue, a spokesperson for his company said. Chopra attended actor Amitabh Bachchan's 70th birthday party with wife Pamela on October 11.
    Born in 1932 in Lahore, now in Pakistan, the film-maker was favoured by leading Indian actors with his movies seen as a sure-fire way to become a hit with audiences.
    Chopra recently reminisced about a Bollywood career that spanned five decades, narrating how he came to Mumbai with 200 rupees in his pocket, hoping to make it as a film director.
    Chopra's disclosure, made at an event marking his 80th birthday with actor Shah Rukh Khan by his side, took the Indian film industry by surprise.
    "I think I've had enough, Shah Rukh," Chopra replied when Khan asked him about his next project. "I have always lived according to what my heart tells me," he said. "I won't make any film after Jab Tak Hai Jaan."
    Since then, Chopra has made some of Indian cinema's most memorable films -- such as 'Deewar', 'Kabhi Kabhie', 'Silsila' and 'Chandni'. His flamboyant style of film-making, movies filmed in exotic locales and mellifluous music became a hallmark, endearing him to filmgoers.
    Chiffon sarees and the Swiss Alps are so synonymous with Chopra's style of film-making that Switzerland Tourism even offered visitors a guided tour of the places where the director filmed some of his most famous songs and scenes.
    Riding on his success, Chopra established Yash Raj Films, one of Bollywood's biggest production houses, churning out at least three movies a year. In November, the film studio announced its foray into Hollywood, signing on actors such as Nicole Kidman and Jason Bateman for its overseas productions.
    Chopra also produced Indian cinema's longest-running blockbuster, 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' (1995), which marked the debut of his son Aditya as director.
    Minister for I&B, Smt Ambika Soni has condoled the death of veteran director and producer, Shri Yash Chopra. In her condolence message she said, "Today Indian cinema has lost one of its iconic personalities and a creative genius. Through films, Yashji connected generations together. His idea of portraying love as the essence of life and relationships will fondly be remembered by all movie lovers. His untimely death is a void which will be difficult to fill."
    Here's what celebrities had to say about Yash Chopra
    Mahesh Bhatt (@MaheshNBhatt) tweets: Heartbreaking news Yash Chopra passes away.
    Ali Zafar (@AliZafarsays) says, "I am in shock. Yash Chopra jee passed away ? What a man. What a loss .. can never forget his warmth, encouragement and humility.."
    Amitabh Bachchan (@SrBachchan): "Yash Chopra passes away .. Just now a hour ago." (Inputs from Reuters)
    http://ibnlive.in.com/news/veteran-filmmaker-yash-chopra-dies-at-80/301546-8-66.html

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  11. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

This is such sad and shocking news! :( :( I almost can't believe it.
    My condolences for the family and friends of this great legend. :(

12. iamsrk

iamsrk I HATE to lose !!

my mom started crying the moment the news came!! ... feeling so numb man!! .. :(

paria says thanks.
  13. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

oh nooooooo :(:(:(
    may Allah rest Yash ji's soul in peace.

14. coolcat

coolcat Well-Known Member

Sad news I just turn indian news ohhhhh my God so sad

15. Prerna Dewan

Dil To Pagal Hai was the first movie I ever saw. For a young 3 yr old mind, what happened onscreen was so astonishing and beautiful. I didn't understand a lot of it, I'm sure, but i do remember being completely fascinated and completely entertained. Yash Chopra was the man who made me fall head over heals with both cinema and Shah Rukh. When Veer Zaara released, and I watched it on the theatre, I was still in grade 3. The scene in which Shah rukh recites 'Main Kaidi no. 786' is one of the most special scenes I have ever seen on the big screen, because it was the first time that a movie had made me cry. And I remember having unabated tears..As a child of all but 8 years, I was slightly confused as to why a make believe story was evoking such a strong response in me.
    There are many other cinematic memories I have associated with Yash Chopra's films, and I shall remember them forever.
    To say that this is sad is an incredible understatement.
    I know that he shall live on in my memories forever..

iamsrking, Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  16. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Times Now channel was just showing what seemed to be a live video of SRK in a car arriving someplace. Perhaps the hospital?
    Yes, the news just confirmed that actors are arriving at the hospital with the media. Srk was one of the first to arrive. There's a gathering on the 11th floor of the hospital. Lots of replay of SRK's interview.

17. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

I still cant believe this...:( this is so heartbreaking... I dont know what to say :(

18. ASLH

ASLH New Member

I can't believe it. its just not right that a great man like yashji had to go. :Cry::frown::rip::pray:[​IMG]

19. Ella

This is such a sad news, its heartbreaking and shocking.

PS: I really don't know if i want to see any vids/pics here .... at the moment i just wish media would leave Shah Rukh alone ....

Debbie, Becy, Janine and 4 others thanked this.
  20. Anjali72

Anjali72 Thanx Shah Rukh!!!

Such sad news. Unbelievable, shocking and extremely sad! And I agree with Ela: Hope the media would leave Shah Rukh alone in such a sad moment!

rubyroo says thanks.