1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Rizwan or Rizvan?

Discussion in 'My Name Is Khan' started by lauraleedooley, Sep 3, 2013.

1. lauraleedooley

lauraleedooley Bollywood Blogger

His name is pronounced "Rizvan Khan" (Khan from the epiglottis :)). At first I thought his first name was spelled Rizwan, but on the television screens in the film it is spelled Rizvan.

Today I saw a post on Facebook with the spelling as Rizwan. It seems both are used.

Anyone know for sure which is correct?

2. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

The letter व in Hindi represents a sound between "V" and "W" (There is no actual letter "V" or "W" in Hindi, just this one letter for both.) It can sound a little different in different words. It could probably be spelled with either letter in a transliteration. (In transliterations you can't get an exact spelling- the only way to spell it right is in Devanagari script.) The best way to learn how to pronounce it is to listen carefully to how they say it in the movie. This could give a clue as to which letter is better to use I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Mara, anesya and lauraleedooley thank this.
  3. lauraleedooley

It also JUST occurred to me to check for the spelling on the Autism Alert card that Rizwan/Rizvan carries - Thanks!

rubyroo says thanks.
  4. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

his name is Rizwan but pronounced Rizvan (like Diwali is pronouced Divali or dewanee is pronounced devanee)... as Ruby said, i noted that in hindi all W are said V (in different intonnation)
    For the name itself, Rizwan is the indian version of Ridwan which is the plural form of Heaven/paradize , it's also traducted to Radwan (in arabic subtitles) which reffers to the key of paradize

Mara, anesya and rubyroo thank this.
  5. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

Rizwan (like Rizwana, my name) is an Arabic name. In Arabic, there is no "V". The correct letter is "W". Using "V" for "W" is a common pronunciation error in India. I have noticed this in many people, including prominent celebrities. For example: "one" is said as "von" or "what" becomes "vat"

It means two things (as verified by the Holy Quran):
    - The Angel who looks after the gates of heaven
    - Good pleasure

:)

niloofari, Mara, Debbie and 1 other person say thanks.
  6. anesya

anesya Guest

wow this language is really difficult. how long would someone take to learn it?

rubyroo says thanks.
  7. rubyroo

I guess years probably. I learned the alphabet and some grammar and quite a few words but its hard. But fun. I like it.

Mara says thanks.
  8. anesya

anesya Guest

turkish is really similiar to hindi, as in some words are the same and have the same meaning so I have a basic ^^
    through the information you gave I swear I thought you were from india, haha xx

rubyroo says thanks.
  9. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining the v and w translations from Hindi. I studied German for a few years in college, but was never able to really speak it. Then I studied Spanish for around twenty years before I felt comfortable listening and speaking it. A Spanish speaking friend studied Arabic and said it had many words that were the same as Spanish. She was able to learn it quickly. When I hear Hindi, there are a number of words similar to German and Spanish that surprise me with their familiarity. I guess all these languages are just one big Indo-European family from way back when. Perhaps that goes for all of us as people as well.

rubyroo and mira_khan thank this.
  10. rubyroo

I discovered early on that there are quite a few similar words between English and Hindi as well. They do all come from a common origin and belong to the Indo European group of languages.

Mara says thanks.
  11. niloofari

niloofari LOVE SRk

even similar words between Hindi & Persian. lots of words they use are Persian one

Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  12. lauraleedooley

I'm trying to learn Hindi - using the Pimsleur CDs. But only the spoken language, not the written. I've definitely started recognizing some of the things I've been missing in Bollywood films by relying solely on subtitles.

BTW - I went back to the My Name Is Khan film and found that his name on the Autism Alert card was written "Rizvan Khan".

I needed to confirm the spelling for my post at http://dooleyonline.typepad.com/bollywood/2013/09/film-screening-room-my-name-is-khan.html

Thanks!

Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  13. niloofari

niloofari LOVE SRk

by the way did u know that Shahrukh & Shehnaz are both Persian names?
    i think his parents were intrested in Persian culture
    as Shahrukh said i have my fathers book but i can not read them
    because they are Persian

rubyroo says thanks.
  14. rubyroo

Yes the name Shah Rukh is Persian. An interesting thing is that "Shah Rukh" means "Face of a king" but it is also the Persian term for the chess move called "castling." I found this in a wikipedia article about Shahrukh Mirza, an Asian emperor of ancient times:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shah_Rukh_(Timurid_dynasty)

niloofari and Prerna Dewan thank this.
  15. niloofari

niloofari LOVE SRk

yes dear in Persian Shah means King
    & Rukh means Face
    in chess even we have it. right

& written form of Shahrukh in Persian is شاهرخ
    or as he writes seprately Shah Rukh is شاه رخ
    :)
    sh ش
    a ا
    h ه
    r ر
    u ( it is sound it is not written usually. it is ُ which is written most in Arabic. in Persian we dont usually write sounds)
    kh خ

rubyroo says thanks.
  16. rubyroo

I love how your writing looks. :)

niloofari says thanks.
  17. niloofari

niloofari LOVE SRk

thank you darling :heart:

rubyroo says thanks.