1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Raja Sen's Top 10 films of 2016

Discussion in 'Fan Media Reviews' started by rollercoast, Jan 12, 2017.

1. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Raja Sen's Top 10 Hindi Films
    Last updated on: January 11, 2017 17:52 IST
    1. Fan

[​IMG]

IMAGE: Shah Rukh Khan as fan and superstar in Fan.
    This may be the most flawed film on this list.

It is also, without question, the most fearless.

Every other Hindi film this year has been one you have seen before, in some shape or form.

We have seen films like them before, from other actors or other countries, films of their shape or genre or style, but Maneesh Sharma's deeply misunderstood Fan is an entirely audacious new creature that is all its own.

It is a commentary on stardom and on the idea of fans speaking for -- and even above -- those they claim to worship.

It is a film about aspiration and fame starring the biggest actor on the planet, set in a country that unhealthily deifies heroes to the level of demi-gods.

And, as if that wasn't intriguing enough, it breaks ground and casts him in both parts: A man who broke into our lives playing obsessive lovers, here playing both obsessor and the object of his own obsession.

I have gone on about the astounding twin performance before, but there is much more to see.

It is inward looking, deceptively profound and even surprisingly confessional, a film that makes us question what we think about Shah Rukh Khan as much as it questions what Shah Rukh Khan thinks about his own stardom.

Fan is far from perfect. It gets too caught up in tropes it is rightfully trying to skewer, giving us many overlong action sequences that dilute the film.

Yet even if 'only' for what might cruelly be called the casting gimmick -- one that shows off a heartening willingness to go out on a limb, both on the part of India's biggest studio and India's best-known actor -- it is one of the bravest Hindi films I've ever seen.

Twenty years later, it'll be the one on this list we'll still be arguing about.

In my review, I'd said: 'Lookalikes don't really resemble the celebrities they attempt to ape. Styled to accentuate a passing resemblance, they more often than not look like a wonky, wet-watercolour version of the real thing, something sculpted with less finesse and more raggedy edges.'

'The fleeting moment of doppelgänger magic only takes place if and when they manage to find precisely the right light, the right angle and the right expression -- for that one instant, the star's the limit.'

'Limit isn't a word too familiar to Gaurav Chandna, a West Delhi cybercafe owner who dreams Mannat-sized dreams.'

http://www.rediff.com/movies/report/raja-sens-top-10-hindi-films/20170111.htm

Dear Zindagi is No. 7 on the list. :D

phul and Rishima62 thank this.
  2. Rishima62

Rishima62 Defying Gravity

most flawed film? I couldn't disagree more. Of course it wasn't perfect - a good thing too - because perfect is boring ;). But it was ambitious, well told, fantastic acting (despite the dental prothesis which made it in some scene even hard for him to speak proberly!!)

On the other hand he is praising the movie for some right things as well.

It is soooo fancy to be overcritical these days :D.

3. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

But he rates it as the top film of the year, so I will forgive the term 'flawed' :D

Rishima62 says thanks.
  4. Rishima62

Rishima62 Defying Gravity

;) - I don't forgive negativity when it come to Shah Rukh :pound:*justkidding*

5. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

its the first film of its type to be made so its one of those things where he cant compare as its never been done before. Im really happy his reviewed it on the top i hope he gets the best filmfare even if its critic award because shahrukh really deserves for his performance in fan. it was a powerhouse of acting