1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Ra.One: Worth More Than The Sum Of Its Box Office

Discussion in 'RaOne (Ra.1)' started by HALA*SRK, Nov 9, 2011.

1. HALA*SRK

HALA*SRK Pagal of SRK!!

Don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, But it's a nice article and wanted to share it with you..

By Melody in Florida:

I’m still getting a Google alert feed for Ra.One, so daily, I’m reading that Ra.One didn’t make the same box office that Bodyguard did, or didn’t come close to projections, or something else. It’s always some similar comparison.

Furthermore, what’s more interesting in these feeds is that the Hollywood critics/reporters articles that come through (L.A. Times is one that comes to mind) are taking more notice and commenting on the innovations that Ra.One has shown and achieved more than the Indian media has.

This is sad. Indian media is focusing more on box office numbers, and pushing the rivalry amongst actors in the Hindi film fraternity than writing about the innovations that Ra.One has achieved; innovations that go far beyond box office figures, but have literally changed the industry for the better. It’s sadly the case of wanting more to knock SRK than to care about what he’s brought to the industry.

Since Ra.One, the Hindi film industry, as a whole, had begun to realize the importance of marketing and promotions, and studios are now beginning to promote movies 6 months in advance instead of waiting the previous 6-8 weeks.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. Special effects in Ra.One have set a new standard for Indian films. While there will always been lesser quality effects in lower budget films because studios can’t afford bigger budget computer graphics, for action (or sci-fi/fantasy) movies that want a guaranteed hit, the studios are going to now have to step up to the plate and bring the results. This only helps the quality of films, the industry, and benefits the movie going audience overall.
    Let’s also look at the history of superhero/sci-fi/fantasy films in Bollywood. It’s practically non-existent. While Hollywood produced superhero movies do well in India, there are very few examples, and only a couple of examples of the genre, Indian-made, that have actually made money (Krrish being the biggest, Mr. India being another). So even the fact that SRK dared to make a superhero sci-fi film AND make it successful, is another accomplishment.
    Then there is marketing. Shah Rukh has become a master of it. He knows the power of marketing in the U.S. with regards to films. He also knows how important the overseas box office is with regards to Indian films, but also has kept in mind the need for his movie to appeal to the movie-going families. He’s made a movie, and marketed it, to appeal to families and kids with not only a believable superhero, but stellar action, Hollywood-caliber computer generated effects, and a good story about a father and son. I saw first hand how much kids loved this movie.

He has achieved something no other producer/studio in India has done: bringing in mass media and major companies for serious promotion of a film. Look at some of the companies he’s brought in to either help promote the movie, or are product placement within the movie: McDonalds, Nokia, Apple, VW, and many more.
    He sold the television broadcast rights to Star India for over $8 million dollars (U.S.)…more than the previous record of $6.6 million (U.S.) for 3 Idiots. The Ra.One was promoted during 2011 Cricket World Cup nine months before the movie came out, and for the first time in Indian movie history, he produced a Playstation 2 & 3 video game based on a movie, not forgetting the games for cell phones and social media networks. He also promoted the movie at the recent Formula 1 event in India, having Ra.One promoted on a F1 car.
    Diss his merchandising machine all you want for being “overkill”. While it maybe in promotion of a film, the buzz it has created worldwide for Hindi cinema cannot be dismissed in the slightest. It’s a win-win situation.

He has utilized the power of the internet more than ever before for Ra.One in creating actual merchandise and toys; 90% of the 400,000 stationery items and toys were sold in 15 days and an additional 100,000 were ordered from the G.One store on the Ra.One official movie site.

In essence, Shah Rukh has put his money where his mouth is and had the courage to do all of this. He’s not only put himself, but his production company and his FX division, on the line. He has set the bar up higher than anyone ever before. He has, in one movie, achieved more for the creativity and credibility of Indian cinema than any other actor or studio in the history of Indian film making.
    While the websites, media, nay-sayers are knocking the amount of money Ra.One has generated at the box office because it didn’t beat out this film or that film, or because it was believed it would generate more money at the box office than it has, Ra.One hasn’t come even remotely close to no longer generating cash. (BTW, SRK made back his initial investment in the film before it even hit the theaters!).

So all the SRK haters, “shit-stirrers” and small minded people can sit back and drink to Bodyguardor 3 Idiots having achieved more at the box office in the short term. None of these movies, nor the actors/directors involved with them, have come as close to achieving what Shah Rukh Khan and Red Chillies has with one film for the promotion and vision for the future of Indian cinema, and to show that Hindi cinema is more than capable of being among the top money-making film industries in the world.
    Obviously, Hollywood is taking notice. It’s sad that the Indian media isn’t.

2. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Very Very well said, and exactly how I feel!!! Thanks for the article!

HALA*SRK says thanks.
  3. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Great article! Outlines acheivement after acheivement!
    Should be sent to every unimaginative nay-sayer who's only acheivement is to sit on their fat behinds and scribble vitriol.

pleasant says thanks.
  4. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

"In essence, Shah Rukh has put his money where his mouth is and had the courage to do all of this. He’s not only put himself, but his production company and his FX division, on the line. He has set the bar up higher than anyone ever before. He has, in one movie, achieved more for the creativity and credibility of Indian cinema than any other actor or studio in the history of Indian film making."

Bingo!! This person got it!

5. Sofie

Sofie Well-Known Member

I fully agreed with this article. That's what I felt while watching the film. By trying to find flaws in almost every scene of the Ra.One, people tend to overlook the whole beauty, performance, message & technical brilliance the film has offered for its viewers.

6. Rayhana

Rayhana Well-Known Member

loved it! we should send it to Shahrukh through twitter.Might show him that atleast some people see what he sees!

7. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Exactly what I was thinking!
    Let's do it! :D

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  8. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with the article, india needs to get behind srk and applaud him for his vision and innovation in bringing out such vfx in ra.one, someone give him the national award for his efforts

9. pleasant

pleasant Active Member

Very well written article. I had already re-tweeted it. It's a great idea to send to Shah Rukh - let's do it.

10. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

i still didnt watch this one.. but seriously, when did the Indian media ever gave the "right" attention to SRK?