Question to our Indian members about Hindi Language

Discussion in 'Member Masala' started by tasifa, May 11, 2016.

1. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

I'm learning hindi and I've learned of course the proper way to form sentences is: Subject, Object, Other info and Verb.

So I should say: Tum mere fan nahin ho. But Aryan says : Tum nahin ho mere fan. Shall I understand that this is a casual, every day way of talking and the way I'm learning is the grammatical way of forming a sentence?

Of course the meaning is the same, but it gets frustrating to learn something one way and see other ways to do it. lol

I would appreciate the input of our hindi speaking members.

Dhanyavaad

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. Karan#1

Karan#1 Moody SRK fan

Not entirely sure since both mean the same thing. A literal translation of "Tum mere fan nahin ho" is you my fan are not. While a literal translation of "tum nahin ho mere fan" is you are not my fan. So by that accord 'tum nahin ho mere fan', as Aryan says, would be more correct I presume.

4. tasifa

But we know that the order of a sentence in english and hindi are different. So is the litteral translation of a hindi sentence into the order of an english one a casual way to do it?

5. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

can i answer this? :biggrin1: even if i'm not native indian? actually the thing is that the way u phrase a sentence is a way in its own when delivering a dialogue. the inversation of sorts is emphasizing the negation, so it's done intentionally in order to hurt Gaurav. it's difficult to explain because there is no direct transition of this in english or even french. it's something that u can get a grasp of only through talking/listening to others form sentences. that's why they say u can't learn a language through a textbook, u've got to experience it and it'll grow on u much quicker than through grammar lessons. and usually everything that is textbook is the correct, formal way to any language, but the reality to day-to-day conversations is hugely different.

later edit: i've seen phrasing like this times before, so it didn't strike me as unusual and i actually don't know the semantics behind it but that's what has stuck to me, so ye... i may not be right it's just out of my own "experience"

6. tasifa

I know there is nothing like immersion to learn a language. The more you listen to a native speaker, the more you learn. But you need to acquire your basic knowledge from text books. I can speak a very international french from text book but my day to day language is our regional slang which is different from standard french. I guess knowing both ways should help. :)

Maybe I'll join an online live class and see how it goes.

Dea says thanks.
  7. ashi2

ashi2 in love.......

you are indeed right Dea..... well done:clap2:

Dea says thanks.
  8. tasifa

So that means that I could inverse verb and object and still people would understand me?

9. ashi2

ashi2 in love.......

but its actually depends on the sentence to sentence , even some time same sentence could even have two different meaning all together depending on tone(way) of your saying.:rolleyes:.. best idea is to be spoken with someone regularly ....

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  10. tasifa

Well I'll have the chance to speak regularly for 6 weeks, I sure hope I'll learn something. :)

ashi2 says thanks.
  11. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

that's what i was thinking. u'll see how cool it is to practice ur hindi. i know u've done it a bit in the past but being surrounded by hindi speakers will be an entirely different experience. if i were u, i'd try and speak mostly in hindi while in India

12. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Lol! I tried, took classes for two years, watching 10 million srk movies and spent a month in India. My understanding is still minimal and speaking even worse (would you agree @luxia ? :p )

13. tasifa

My college study was foreign languages and I've learned spanish and german. I also learned sign language. I have a good ear and can easily reproduce a decent accent. I've learned the devanagari script and can write and read pretty easily. I don't always understand what I read but I can read. lol. It's mostly the grammar that is hardest to master. But I'm very invested, I'm not really shy to try and use the language when I travel. Last year when I was in vietnam I had a crash course in vietnamese at the cooking class I took. So after 1 hour we went to the market and I had to bargain for our groceries. very good practice and the people are usually very nice when you try.