1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Powerful and Patriotic

Discussion in 'Members reviews' started by sonal, Aug 14, 2007.

1. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

SPOILERS....

First off I have to say that Im extremely lucky to have found the day and place to watch the film here in NY. I drove all the way to Farmingdale, which is about 30 mintues and about a quarter tank of gas during my work break to watch the film. I then called in sick because Im only allowed an hour but it was completely worth it! :thumb:

I have to say that in all the films of his that I have watched, this one stands apart from the rest. True, that all of his performances are very different from one another (no matter what the media and the critics say), but there was something about this one that makes it special. When I first heard of the story, I had a feeling that it wouldnt have that much of an impact on the audiences like DON and Devdas and many of his other films did because it wasnt the "usual" SRK performance. I heard many people say that no doubt he is the best at romance, but he still has time to become versatile, but Im proud that this film made people's perspective change.

The opening of the film was fabulous, and it was right to the point. You feel the rush that Kabir feels as he is about to attempt to win the match against Pakistan. But unfortunately he doesnt win it. The pain in his eyes kills you but what I loved was the fact that he was the only one from the team to congratulate the winning team. Which leads to the major problem...people say that the match was fixed because Kabir decided to take the penalty shot being the captain and all and the fact that he is Muslim made people doubt if he played kosher. The pain you feel for Kabir is so genuine and when that person wrote Gadaar (traitor) on his house, you felt as hurt as he did.

Then he makes the comeback and youre excited all over again. You can see the passion for the game in his eyes. He is witty and confident that he can change the association's train of thought and prove that women can and deserve to play hockey. I love how strict he was because it added a lot to his attidude and character, especially when he told Sabrawal that if she wanted to be on the team she had to run 2 kilometers in 10 mintues and then maybe he would allow her (because she was late). His partiotism was beautiful, it made all the desis in the theatre sweel with pride.

All of the girls were fabulous. I loved Balbir, Komal, even Bindia. Vidya was sweet, very promising in her acting. Soi Moi was cute as well along with the other girls. Though I hated Bindia and her arrogance but it worked out for her well. Man and that scene where she tries to seduce Kabir was HOT!!! But of course, he wasnt interested. I loved his answer to her question about what Vidya had that she didnt...he was like, you answered your own question.

You feel the want to understand the sport and to play it. You feel proud to be an Indian and you feel proud to be a woman. Women in India havent always been given the chance to do what they have wanted. Each character had a personal problem to face being a woman. One was getting married, one was married, one was told that they cannot play because they are women and that they belong in the kitchen. I loved the way each girl proved them wrong. The togetherness they shared was awesome, especially when Balbir stood up and smacked the guy that was hitting on the other teammates.

But although the girls were the major players in the film, SRK overpowers everything once again. I mean I know he was the main lead but he wasnt in the film as much as he was in the other films. I know there is no room for comparison but being that he wasnt there much, he conveyed so much by doing so little and thats what proves to everyone time and time again that he is a versatile actor, he is the best at what he does because he feels it.

Overall I think this was even more powerful than Swades although one is in no place to compare the two films. Maybe he may win an award for this film, maybe he may not, but for sure people will watch the film with pride, and they will be very proud of his performance. It shows because most of the people in the cinema hall werent even indian. There were some Chinese, Japanese, Europeans, etc... When I was walking out of the theatre one African American ticket collector asked me and my friends if the movie was good. It was the only Hindi Film playing at the theatre. We told him it was in Hindi (thinking he wouldnt care anyway), but he was like yeah I know. I watch them. I told him it was awesome. He asked, "Was it better than DHOOM?" I said, "There is no comparison. Chak de is in its own league." He was like, "Shahrukh is the actor right?" I said "yes." It amazed me to hear his reaction, "I dont expect anything else than the best from him, but people today have seemed to be in loss of such intensity and emotion... Im watching the next show." When I was watching the ending credits, it was awesome to see that the original teams from England and Australia were playing and I thought that was nice because it made it more real. Shimit Amin, as I heard, is an American. He learned Hindi as he worked on the film, and I must say that its amazing to see something so patriotic from someone who wasnt even born in India, though its not surprising, because the NRI's also have that love for India, Im sure. But its amazing to see what a beautiful film was put together by someone who didnt even speak the language. Hats off to him and more success and good luck to them!

I felt so proud, if SRK was in front of me I would have kissed him! (I would anytime :D )

Overall, 10/10. Great film! CHAK DE INDIA!!!! :cheer2:

2. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

Damn, I've been wanting to see that scene ever since I heard about it yesterday!!:eek:

The way you've all been describing the intensity and emotions in his eyes is so overwhelming...I can't wait!:heart:

Thanks a lot Sonal.:)

3. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

you haven't seen the movie yet? :eek::eek: what the hell are you waiting for !

thank you sonal for a beautiful review :thumb:

4. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

no problem yaar, but how come you havent seen it as yet?!!!! go see it na yaar!!! :D

5. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

:hug: thanks didi...

man i want to go out and see it again :)

6. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

every time i go to another Hindi movie, i notice more non-desis in the crowd. unfortunately in my town, the first day/first show of Chak De didn't have a full theater, but for the first time, the crowd was pretty much 50/50 desi to non-desi.

7. K

Yea, I wanted to see it last week for my birthday, but my few Shah Rukh fan friends aren't here until this weekend.:eek: I know, sucks!

8. Leonora

Leonora MariposaVerde

WOW!
    I am so looking forward to seeing this film. I've been looking online to find out the closest theatre to me. I found one in PA that's about 1.5 hours away.
    But I need to wait for my friends to get back from a trip to Puerto Rico, so I don't go by myself. This will be the first time I see Shah Rukh on the big screen. I am beside myself waiting for August 25th which is when I can go see this film.

9. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

yeah same here.... i mean i knew ahead of time that it might not open with such a bang, at least with the desi mentalilty sadly as it still holds, but yeah i was proud to see non desis there too.... i asked the couple that were there what they thought of the film, the sweet thing was that they have been srk fans ever since Darr, but they believe that this was one of his finest performances....

10. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

:hug: koi baat nahi, go soon yaar.... i give you credit for being patience...but its worth the wait :high5:

11. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

wow in PA, yaar where do you live? are you sure there arent any cinema halls playing it near you?

12. Leonora

Leonora MariposaVerde

I live in Delaware and the closest one is in PA or NJ either way it's a hike. But it's worth it to see Shah Rukh on the big screen :p:heart:

13. Poonam

Poonam New Member

Very nice review, Sonal. But I wouldn't give Shimit Amin all the credit. Primarily, this film belongs to Jaideep Sahni, the writer who first conceived of the idea of the film after seeing a tiny little write-up about the victory of the Indian women's hockey team, which made him feel sad and also intrigued him. He was fortunate to get a team like Aditya and Shimit to give life to his film. And of course, SRK who became its soul.

14. Pakiza

Pakiza New Member

Man and that scene where she tries to seduce Kabir was HOT!!! But of course, he wasnt interested. I loved his answer to her question about what Vidya had that she didnt...he was like, you answered your own question.

ohhh yes my heart was:scared:

15. K

Aww, thanks yaar.:hug: Yea, actually I consider myself lucky this time...for KHNH, VZ, etc. I had to wait six weeks due to school!

16. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

:hug: sorry yaar, but yes its worth it..... i hope you get to see it :)

17. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

Omg, I cant believe i forgot to mention Jaideep Sahni :doh: Totally agree with you yaar...

Also with all the "eh" films that YashRaj has come out with this year and as of late, I think this film will help them out a lot.

18. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

i know yaar... my eyes were glued to him, because man his eyes were so intense...it was one of those nattu moments in my head though :D kya karein, aadat se majboor :p

19. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

6 weeks? :scared: wow yaar, what a wait! But I hope you see it soon! :pray: Youll definitely enjoy it!

20. Pakiza

Pakiza New Member

lol thx god she didnt do anything with him...not even getting closer to him