1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani - the movie

Discussion in 'Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani' started by Weda, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Weda

Weda SRK's Sweetheart

Director: Aziz Mirza
    Music: Jatin Lalit; Lyrics: Javed Akhtar
    Year: 2000
    Running Time: 150 minutes

As one quickly learns after watching only a few Bollywood films, the way an Indian film begins is rarely how it ends. Films often go through a mind-bending array of emotions and moods and often veer wildly between comedy and melodrama with the viewer often thrown for a loop. Films that have all these elements plus action and musical numbers are generally stuck with the term “masala” around their necks – meaning a little bit of everything is thrown into the pot and stirred with reckless abandon. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Here it sort of works, but not as well as it could have as the sudden turn into serious melodrama never reaches the delightful heights of the first sparkling hour. This is an instance in which one really wishes the filmmakers had stuck with the insouciant mood and bright comedy for the entirety of the story and left the melodrama on the editing floor. Wrapped around a rivalry/romance between two TV journalists, the film sardonically skewers the mass media, political parties, the justice system and corporate sponsorship. Rarely subtle – an executioner stopping to promote a product on his way to perform his work on the gallows – it nevertheless hits its targets with mud splattered relish. Photographed in bright MTV colors by Santosh Sivan (Dil Se), the film’s palette is lush and lively and constantly entertaining.

The viewer is immediately immersed into the initial fun vibes of the film during the opening credits which play over a splashy video of Shahrukh Khan simply acting up to the incredible catchy title song. I found myself stopping the DVD and replaying the song some five times before even getting to the film itself! It also bounced around in my head for days afterwards like a red rubber ball. Shahrukh is the star reporter for K-TV and more full of himself than an overstuffed piñata. His self absorption reaches pure giddy art form when he and the entire newsroom staff (and his boss, Satish Shah) break into the wonderful “I’m the Best” number that has Shahrukh being idolized by one and all, pawed by multitudes of fawning beautiful female extras and doing a fabulous Elvis impersonation. It is a tour de force of comic ego from Shahrukh and I ended up having to play this song a number of times as well before I could go on!

Across town the rival owner (Dalip Tahil) of Galaxee TV hires Juhi Chawla and gives her marching orders to depose Shahrukh as the king of TV news. They meet and send off sparks immediately and do their best to out do one another by any means they can. Juhi sidetracks Shahrukh with a host of ex-jilted-girlfriends while she out scoops him on a story that sends the head of the ruling political party (Govind Namdeo) into a tizzy. The film paints a very sleazy picture of the very under the table relationship between the media and politicians. After her big story, Juhi bangs out her own energetic version of “I’m the Best” which is a treat as well. The two of them joust in work and love until they band together over the fate of a man.

A politician is assassinated and the killer (Paresh Rawal) is immediately branded as a foreign terrorist and sentenced to die, but the real story falls into their laps and they surprise themselves by honorably and dangerously pushing for the truth against the wishes of all the powers that be. Much of this part of the film falls a bit flat - at least in comparison to the first half of the film, but as corny as it is the second playing of the title song with the populace filling the streets in protest has a certain awkward Capraesque pleasure. Johnny Lever performs his usual out of place shenanigans as a wanne be Don and Shakti Kapoor plays the odious rival politician.

The music for the film is fairly good with Phi Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani being a real charmer that will have you on your feet and doing some sort of bad Hindi dance moves – but what really sets them apart are the very clever and enjoyable visuals – or picturizing – of the songs. Both Shahrukh and Juhi look to be having an enormously good time in the songs and they play off one another to good effect.

2. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

Re: Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani

i think this was a good start off with dreamz unlimited... i thought it was a good comedy and a whole bunch of other things... i mean there were underlying themes so it was nice.... i love the scene where they dress as the oriental reporters...

3. SrkJuhi4eva

SrkJuhi4eva ~Juhi n Srk forever~

films should be made like pbdhh, its so stupid a film like BnB or Veer Zaara can do well but not something unique and original like pbdhh:(

4. Meghna04

Meghna04 ChakDe SRK!

Thanks for this Thread!

Here are some interviews:

Now, that you've completed the Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, how do you look back on the experience?

With pride and joy. I had a blast making the film. And I'll do it again and again. Maybe make lesser mistakes. Well, I'm tired, Juhi's tired. We snap at each other but yet we're all extremely happy. We've extended all our boundaries with this film. Someday, Dreamz Unlimited will be as big as Steven Spielberg's Dreamworks. And we'll only make the films that we believe in.

Is this the film that you had set out to make?

Yup, it's the film I started out to make. It's mine. And I'm not being selfish. It's generally believed that words like me, mine are selfish, self-centered words. But I find them very, very pure. When Aryaan says, "My papa," my heart is filled with warmth. Aryaan is not being selfish, it's a pure natural reaction.
    Similarly, Phir Bhi... is my film. I own it. Irrespective of it's fate at the box office, it'll be special. Actually all my 27 films are like my babies. I make no distinctions. But Phir Bhi... is x-tra special.
    Once the film is released, Aziz (Mirza), Juhi and I will come back to our office, exchange the warmest hugs and get on with our lives. Because we have realised our dreams on screen. And we'll go on to dreaming some more... and start work on our next film. Inshallah!

What do you feel about about Juhi Chawla?

What can I say about Juhi? (Laughs) She gave me my first real break as a hero. Before we started work on Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, someone showed her my photgraphs saying that I looked like Aamir Khan. When she came on the sets, she took one look at me and went, "Eeeks, who's this horror?" Juhi taught me restraint. How to convey a lot without over- acting. My comic timing improved thanks to her. The best thing about her is that she's never over-confident. There is a vulnerability about her. She still gets into a flap when has to do a lengthy scene.
    Now I'm best friends with her husband Jai. He's a real gentleman. Which is why I floated Dreamz Unlimited with Jai and Juhi. They're my friends. I feel as protective about Juhi as I do about my sister Lala Rukh.

5. Meghna04

Meghna04 ChakDe SRK!

On why he has floated a banner when he is among the top heroes

It was a sudden decision. One day, Juhi, Mirza and myself were discussing a plot. Then we thought why not we produce it through our own company. All the three of us had a flair for comedy. Remember Raju Bhan Gaya Gentleman and Yes Boss?

On the choice of the title

It is inspired by Raj Kapoor's famous song Mera joota hai Japani... Beyond that, it has nothing to do with Raj Kapoor, whom I admire very much. We liked the Indian touch. No, it is not a patriotic film at all. Just a satire and a comic look at life around.

On the plot of Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani

It is about two media personalities who work for rival TV channels. They are busy trying to outwit the other by hook or crook. It is a sarcastic look at the crazy race for grabbing sensational bit of news and TRP rating. But it is also a love story. The treatment is light that should appeal to all types of audience. I'm pompous, arrogant and ready to lie, while Juhi is equally tough and competitive.

On whether there's a social message in the film

We've had international celebrities like a Shekhar Kapoor or Sachin Tendulkar. Despite their greatness, there's an Indiannness in them. The special quality of we Indians is goodness of heart. Our movie tries to highlight it. There's no value judgement on what's good or what's wrong.

On whether he worked harder for his own film

Yes. I definitely spoke faster, ran faster and applied more blood on my face! But don't forget. I didn't get paid for acting in this film.

On judging the pulse of the audience

It's quite difficult. All one can ensure is to be entertaining , good viewing with all the essential ingredients. This film has tongue-in-cheek humour and also black humour. But the comedy never descends to crude level. There's also Johnny Lever for additional laughs.

On the music scored by Jatin Lalit

The songs are mostly situational. The catchy title song is already being beamed on the TV channels. The music reflects the fun mood of the movie.

On whether his company will also give a chance to new faces

Well, I'm still young enough to be a hero. I did try to find a fresh face . But no one could match my talent!

On the financial resources of Dreamz Unlimited

A veteran producer like Yash Johar and industrialist Jai Mehta are putting in the money while we three are the creative team. .

- Hindustan Times

6. Astri

Astri New Member

Thanks for the article Weda and Nicole. Juhi is the best pair in comic role for Shahrukh. In my opinion, PBDHH is a good movie, it's just been released at wrong time.

7. Masala Maami

Masala Maami New Member

And it took digs at the media, which obviously didn't go down too well with the journos. It's one of my favourite movies of SRK-Juhi, may I add she has an amazing comic timing.

8. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

SYNOPSIS: AJAY BAKSHI (Shahrukh Khan) - A sharp and shrewd TV reporter works for Kaka Chowdhary (Satish Shah), owner of K-TV. Ajay - a star in his own right will cross all limits to prove that, he is the BEST. RIA BANERJEE (Juhi Chawla) - A beautiful women with an innocent face -camouflaging a sharp and intelligent mind. She is employed by Mr. Chinoy
    (Dalip Tahil), the CEO of Channel GALAXEE, to counter the burgeoning success of Ajay Bakshi and K-TV. She too goes all out to prove that she is the BEST. This is the beginning of a professional rivalry, and of a love hate relationship between the two. Each tries to outdo and outsmart the other’s efforts to promote their Channel. They both use an entire array of journalistic weaponry ranging from pampering and pandering to deception and deceit.

Suddenly, both of them are catapulted into the political spotlight when the Chief Minister Mushran (Govind Namdeo) and the opposition party leader Ramakant Dua (Shakti Kapoor) engage in a vicious political battle for power. The atmosphere is tense with the impending elections. In the midst of all this a simple common man, Mohan Joshi (Paresh Rawal), who gets entangled in the web of power hungry men. Ajay and Ria come together to help this common man and solicit the help of a softhearted under world Don Pappu Junior (Johnny Lever).

A spark is ignited which leads to a momentous chain of events that tests the integrity and character of all these people. Will this seemingly simple story of a simple common man change the lives of Ajay and Ria and of every other INDIAN?

9. SrkJuhi4eva

wow i love this film so much, juhi and srk r the best pair ever!

10. mysur

mysur New Member

title song is awesome

11. 1Feyenoord

1Feyenoord Member

I would rate this movie 6/10...didn't like it that much.

12. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I loved this movie, its one of my favorites and the music is awesome!:thumb:

13. Alana

Alana New Member

Yes can't say it often enough.....it's one of the greatest movies...

14. SrkJuhi4eva

i saw the making today, aw lol love it especially when srk and juhi were doing the dance steps together!

15. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

I really like this film. It's very funny and Shahrukh and Juhi are so great together.

16. MarjorieGK

MarjorieGK Ullu-Club-Member

Little did I know what awaits me at the end of the movie. I expected a good comedy, but then came the surprise. And I loved it. I like Juhi's and Shahruk's characters and the change they undergo: from looking for entertainment and sensation to asking serious questions about moral standards of politicians and media, the true value of democracy and the power of the common man. And when the people take to the streets and head for the jail, I have tears in my eyes (though I'm not the crying type of a girl :) )

I love the music (in fact, I love Indian film music (old and new) and I listen to it all the time making my family and neighbours howl :D ) My favourite is the title song.

17. ching ching

ching ching New Member

this movies is good i like it alot

18. Tonydaig

Tonydaig New Member

this is my first movie and I liked srk's sense of humor and personality, I think he's great i am looking forward to watching his other movies. my next on the list is don, recomended by a friend.

19. sofya

sofya Well-Known Member

you will love it tony welcome to srk's planet :)

20. srkbest

srkbest New Member

i don't understand why this film didn't do well....i really love this movie!!