1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Pardes reviews

Discussion in 'Pardes' started by Bridget, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

I see no one has ever started a thread for reviews of Pardes so here one is and the first posting of a review from when it was released.

Publication title: News India - Times. New York, N.Y.: Aug 15, 1997. Vol. 27, Iss. 33; pg. 81

"Pardes" - American Dream, Indian Soul

By Our Staff Reporter[​IMG]

The special world premier of the much awaited film "Pardes" was shown by Eros Entertainment at the Bombay Theatre in Queens, New York last week. Yet another creation of Subhash Ghai, who has given people many blockbusters in the past, Pardes comes out as a good entertainer with an interesting theme.

Kishorie Lal (Amrish Puri) is an Indian immigrant in the US. He visits his friend, Suraj Lal (Alok Nath) in India and is very much impressed by his daughter Ganga (Mahima). He asks her hand in marriage for his US born and raised son Rajiv (Apurva Agnihotri). Kishori Lal is very much Indian at heart and wants his progeny to possess some Indian values. He sends his nephew, Arjun (ShahRukh Khan) with his son, to India to meet Ganga. After the engagement they bring Ganga to America along with them. She finds it difficult to adjust in a different culture. In the mean time Ganga and Arjun fall in love with each other. The film has a happy ending.

The film deals with the problem faced by the Indian born Americans, whose children are not aware of the cultural heritage of their parent's mother land. It is a very relevent film for the audience of Indian origin in America. The film's music is superb, just like Subhash Gahi's previous films. Specially two songs are very catchy - `Do dil mil rahain hain' and `Jara tasveer se nikal ke'.

Both the new comers Apurva Agnihotri and Mahima Chaudhari have acted well in their debut. Shah Rukh as usual is natural and carries the film. Amrish Puri and Alok Nath are natural in the character roles. Film's photography is very traditional. Over all, the picture is very impressive.

http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=468260201&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=20582&RQT=309&VName=PQD

2. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

I might be prejudiced...but I have never, ever, seen Amrish Puri being 'natural' in any of his roles that I've seen. :suspicious:

3. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

yeah, i agree
    i dont really like the way he plays the villains, too much over-acting and not at all good to watch :nono:

was he a villain in this one? :confused2:

nyway, they are so right when they say Shah Rukh carries the film :thumb: his acting is awesome and his facial expressions are priceless :heart:

4. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

whenever i watch this movie.. i have to think about whether ShahRukh is the main hero here or he has like a special apperance :confused2:

and yeah, he is the ONLY reason why this movie is good to watch :D

5. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

first part :scared:
    who else is there in the film? that other guy couldnt even act if he's life depended on it (sorry to say) and wasnt even noticeable

and the second part is so true :thumb:

6. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

:lol: Shublee, i know he doesnt really know how to act but im just saying.. it felt like SRK acting in this movie to SAVE the movie! as if the Subhash Ghai knew his movie would FLOP if SRK isnt in it.. and even SRK had a fight with him cause he took him to USA to promote for this movie as SRK's movie [or that's what i read]

7. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

i didnt know that :jaw:
    when i watched the movie i did think there wasnt enough of SRK in it :nod:
    but i didnt know subhash ghai was using him like that :brick:

8. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

yeah well, that's what i read :confused2:
    but thats how i feel.. there isnt much of SRK in the movie to say its SRK's movie.. :noidea:

9. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

How did I miss posting a Movie Marathon thread for this. It is one of my top 10 films that I can watch over and over. It drives my family nuts! There is great chemistry between the girl, Ganga, and Arjun. I love the tension that plays through the storyline. Meri Mehebooba is my all-time favorite song. I just about have it memorized now.

10. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

me too, i dont remember having watched this during the movie marathon :noidea:

11. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

That's funny you said that. I still have my list hanging on my office door, so I took a look. This is the first one on the Marathon list!!!! Okay, we need to get another marathon going again. Remember, we talked about doing a film a week. Might make it easier on us until MNIK comes out! What do you all think?

12. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

no wonder why :lol: if it was first on the list then i missed it
    i also missed quite a few of the from the beginning :suspicious:

yeah we should start another one :D