1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Om Shanti Om dance wins Miss America Title

Discussion in 'Om Shanti Om' started by Mara, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Miss America contestant Nina Davuluri performed a classical Bollywood fusion dance from the movie "Om Shanti Om" which won her the Miss America contest. She is the first Indian American to win that title. It's different from Deepika's performance with SRK but still lively and energetic. I wonder if she is an SRK fan as well.

MaryAnnK, yummy, Krisi_love_SRK and 5 others thanked this.
  2. Xeny

Xeny ❤️‍ ART

wow! too cool! congrats to Miss America! I'm sure she is a fan haha

Mara says thanks.
  3. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

So excited that she won. Her dancing is amazing.

Mara says thanks.
  4. starstar

starstar People are not perfect (except when they smile)

Thanks for sharing Mara :)

This young lady dances beautifully. And I'm happy that she chose to perform on Dhoom Tana,
    that too wearing these beautiful traditional Indian clothes.
    As we all know this song is beautiful because it has so much joy and happiness into it.
    It's the perfect song to dance your heart out and to express your joy.

This is the very first time that an American woman who basically hails from India
    (she was born to Telugu parents) has been crowned as Miss America.
    This is definitely something to be happy about. Nina Davuluri has every reason to be proud.

The sad thing about this event is that, in a moment where this girl
    should have enjoyed happiness only, she also had to face strong criticism,
    as her crowing as Miss American sadly met with a backlash of anti-Indian feeling.
    Some reactions posted on Twitter reflected the fact that some people misidentified her as Muslim
    or Arab and associated her with terrorist groups.

It has to be noted that Nina Davuluri was born and raised in the US.
    The fact is, her family hails from India.
    And she is someone who's very proud of her Indian cultural background. From what I heard, it's precisely her
    dual culture (American - Indian) and the fact that she's so proud of both her origins that appealed to the Miss America contest jury and made the judges ultimatly choose her to receive the crown as
    Miss America.

When I got to learn about this controversy through the French medias, I was left speechless.
    This should not be. In a way, I'm kind of revolted by this mess.
    I wonder: "So is this what the word is all about, today?"
    Misunderstandings, unfair backlashes based on nationality and religious beliefs...
    This is what the after 9/11 world is about.
    And this is sad, really sad....

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    MaryAnnK, rubyroo, yummy and 1 other person say thanks.
  5. Krisi_love_SRK

Krisi_love_SRK Well-Known Member

wow ,great..she dance very well and she is very beautiful..and yes I think she is SRK's fan too :)

rubyroo says thanks.
  6. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I believe the charges of racism are a manufactured controversy by the news media who choose to frame this shining triumph of a gifted Indian American woman with negativity for their own ends. In any competition there are going to be a lot of sore losers. The news outlets cite Twitter feeds to fan their controversy. If we were to base stories on random Twitter feeds and not credible sources, there would be all sorts of controversies about everything.

Who's behind it? “Follow the money.” Perhaps “Fair and Lovely” and “Fair and Handsome” have been tweeting, since they would lose customers if people realized being dark and beautiful is awesome? (Just joking. Do they even advertise in the USA?).

MaryAnnK, rubyroo and starstar thank this.
  7. rubyroo

Americans who aren't happy she won are a small minority I'm sure. Any idiot can go on twitter and say stuff. If they are controversial they get attention. That's the sad fact in this.

Mara, MaryAnnK and starstar thank this.
  8. rubyroo

That's beautiful Kavitha. It reminds me of my first impression of the songs and dancing present in most every Hindi film. It brings a feeling of such joyfulness. Nina danced just beautifully but the chief quality of he dance was joy. She is a good ambassador for Hindi movies!

Mara, starstar and MaryAnnK thank this.
  9. starstar

You may be right, Mara. It may be a possibility that these controversies are only manufactured by
    people who we may not even think of and suspect.
    Maybe, as you said, behind this controversy, there are powerful people and powerful brands. I don't really know.
    All I know, as for now, is that, the only reason why this Miss America crowning has been doing the rounds in France for the past couple of days
    is precisely because of this controversy. It's such a shame that this event is being talked about only because it's being surrounded
    by this lame controversy.
    There are so much more honourable reasons why this event should be talked about.

Oh, and yes, "Fair and Lovely" is only one of the many Indian brands to promote the idea that "being light-skinned is more beautiful
    than having a dark skin". This is a concept that also revolts me quite a lot.
    I think "Fair and Lovely" creams are being sold in any Indian store all around the word, including in USA and UK.

I know that in India and also in Sri-Lanka, light-skinned people ( and especially girls) are considered to be more beautiful.
    The idea of "Dark and Beautiful" is less accepted in the Indian and Sri-Lankan society. As far as I know, behind these (mis)conceptions
    there is more or less the general idea that white people are regarded as people belonging to higer-class (within the society), and maybe also
    kinder, more beautiful... In one word light-skinned persons are regarded as "better" than
    dark-skinned one. Which obviousely is a conception I strongly dispprove of.

Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  10. starstar

Thank you for your sweet comment Ruby :)

Yes, what struck me in Nina's dance performance is the fact that she was literally radiating a tremendous
    amount of joy. And you can see, in her dance performance, how much she is proud of her indian origins.

I think that's what makes her dance so beautiful, that's what makes her so beautiful.

I have nothing in common with this young lady (I'm not Indian, although I'm basically hailing from
    a neighbour country; and I am obviousely not American :D).
    But I'm feeling so proud of her. As if her victory, in a sense, is the victory of every Indian woman or even Sri-Lankan woman
    who are proud of their origins although being born abroad and who, incendentally, do not "match"
    what is regarded as the ideal conception of beauty in their mother-country just because they are dark-skinned ( as I too am).

For some reason I can't explain, I feel close to her. I want to celebrate her crowning, even if I am just an anonymous and even if I have nothing in common with her.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    Mara, MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  11. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

Anyone with an internet connection and a hashtag can become news these days. The VAST majority of Americans don't feel this way. True, there are people in America who think everyone with brown skin is either an undocumented immigrant here to steal jobs or an Arab and in a terrorist organization. But they're idiots with an agenda. Why the media gives them a platform is beyond me. This is not what the world is about, and not even what America is really about. It's what the media is about; it's what some politicians are about. That we give them importance is what is sad.

Mara, MaryAnnK, rubyroo and 1 other person say thanks.
  12. rubyroo

It makes me very sad that people think this way. In my country being tan is a sign of beauty. People who can't get a tan are considered less attractive. It's like everyone wants to be just a little brown but not too brown. It's so dumb. Every person has their own beautiful color. Why can't we all be happy about that?

Mara, MaryAnnK and starstar thank this.
  13. rubyroo

Well said!

Mara says thanks.
  14. starstar

Thank you, Carol :)

I perfectly know that the vast majority of people, and particularly, the vast majority of Americans do not share
    the opinion of those who created this unnecessary controversy surrounding Nina's cultural background
    and religious beliefs.
    Not all people are so narrow-minded, that's for sure. Fortunatly.

But you know, sometimes, it's easier to see the very few "mistakes/flaws" who spoil the beauty of the artwork than to see the beauty of the overall artwork itself. It's easier to concentrate on details rather than on the overall big picture.
    That's my reaction with this whole issue, I guess.

Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  15. starstar

Thank you Ruby :)

This reminds me of my first visite in my home country, Sri-Lanka, ten years ago.
    There, I met a distant relative of my mother. I was meeting this man for the very first time and I didn't know anything about
    him. The first thing he told me was: " Since you are coming from abroadI was assuming you would be more light-skinned ".

For some reason, I received these words almost like a slap on my face.
    Somehow, I sensed there was a kind of judgement attached to this comment.
    A judgement in view of my skin colour, and, also, regarding the way this man was perceiving my
    physical appareance.
    For some reason, when hearing this comment from this man, what I actually heard is
    " You are not as beautiful, because you are rather dark-skinned".

Maybe, I'm extrapolating quite a bit, maybe I'm exagerrating, maybe, I misunderstood
    the actual meaning of what that man was trying to say.
    Nonetheless, this is the way I perceived his words.
    Because he said this, I found it heard to consider him as an elder man who,
    therefore, deserved my respect.
    Ten years later, today, I still remember these words and the way I felt when I heard them.

Here also, in France, having a tanned-skin is considered beautiful.
    It is the exact opposite of what could be seen in the Indian/Sri-Lankan society.

In fact, I also remember the words that one of my best friend, who's light-skinned, said to me one day.
    We were having this conversation during holiday time, she told me she was looking forward to go and holiday in some sunny
    part of France because she was desperate to get tanned. And she concluded by saying: " Since you are dark-skinned,
    you can't understand the importance of getting tanned. But believe me, it's a very important thing, especially for someone
    as white as me! " :p

Mara, MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  16. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

As I watched her dancing, I felt her excitement and the marvelous reception that the audience was giving her!!!!
    I was proud because "I got it!" that is was an SRK film song! She is beautiful. She has a history of titles and this is just one.
    She will make the US proud!
    The controversy is media hype! (Saddened me when I saw it come up on FB.)
    Go Miss New York a.d.a. Miss America!!!

Mara, rubyroo and starstar thank this.
  17. rubyroo

I never watch beauty pageants but I wish I had seen this one. What a thrill it must have been when she started dancing to music from a favorite movie of ours!

MaryAnnK, Mara and starstar thank this.
  18. starstar

Same here, I wish I had watched this event just to feel the excitement when she dances to Dhoom Tana.
    It's amazing how a public event, broadcast on TV, can sometimes
    bring together the people who are individually following this event on TV, each and everybody being alone
    in front of their TV and yet, brought together thanks to this magical event.

MaryAnnK, Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  19. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I wish there were some sort of acknowledgement on the part of Farah, SRK, or Deepika in response to Nina Davuluri’s winning performance of “Dhoom Tan”. It’s exciting to see Hindi cinema reaching out to a wider audience and people responding with such enthusiasm. If the OSO team hadn't created the original inspiring song and dance, this event would have been much different. The OSO team is all together again there in Dubai. You would think they would have heard about it. If nothing else, it would be a good plug for OSO which is available now streaming with English subtitles on Amazon Instant Video. And “Dhoom Tan” is not even the best item number in the film (I’m sure you all can guess MY favorite :love:)

MaryAnnK and starstar thank this.