1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

No film shows in Mumbai on Sunday

Discussion in 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' started by mumbiene, Nov 17, 2012.

1. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

No film shows in Mumbai on Sunday

The writer has posted comments on this articlePTI | Nov 17, 2012, 09.19 PM IST

MUMBAI: With emotions running high following Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray's death, cinema house owners in the city have decided to keep the theatres closed on Saturday evening and Sunday for security reasons.

Film screenings in city theatres were cancelled today as soon as the news of Sena chief's demise spread.
    For the time being, we have cancelled all the shows in Mumbai. We will decide about running the shows on Sunday after assessing the situation, an official of PVR cinemas said.
    Manoj Desai, owner of Gaiety, Galaxy and Maratha Mandir said, "Yes, we have cancelled all the shows from 6pm today till Sunday, as we fear that anything might happen tomorrow. We don't want to cause any trouble. From Monday, we might run it normally."

Girish Wankhede, deputy GM-corporate communications and public relations of Cinemax said, "The moment we heard the news, we cancelled all the shows for today and tomorrow across Maharashtra. We have around 56 screens in the state. We have given refund of the tickets."

Ashish Saxena, chief operating officer, Big Cinema said, "For today we have suspended all the shows and also advance bookings. We will decide upon tomorrow depending upon the inputs provided by the local police."
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-in-Mumbai-on-Sunday/articleshow/17258124.cms

RizwanaShahrukh, MaryAnnK and Tash thank this.
  2. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

uh. they were actually FORCED to by his goons. so were all shop owners. his legacy (of bullying) lives on.

Mara says thanks.
  3. srkjuhi

srkjuhi Well-Known Member

I think it is the fear factor playing out. Emotions are running high so the theatre owners I guess are just being cautious. Can't blame them considering the history of the party.

4. nika

nika Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know why this security issues thingy always happens with SRK movies?? It happened with MNIK then, even on the days of RNBDJ the city was full of fear and now this one. So strange and unfortunate! :confused:
    I hope everybody's safe there and the situation is under control.

5. srkjuhi

RNBDJ released just a few weeks after the Mumbai attacks but what happened with MNIK was very different. I won't go into it again as it has been discussed here earlier but lets just say some parties default setting is getting violent to the say the least.

What has happened now is very different from the above scenarios. The leader of the said party passed away today so his followers are shutting down their shops and stuff as a way of showing respect I guess and then there are others who are probably doing it out of fear and in order to avoid any untoward incident as emotions are running high right now.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  6. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

@sunnymalik
    So the India's Got Talent shoot with @iamsrk, Katrina and Anushka was forcefully stalled today!!

@pooja_dadlani
    Waste of such a good day..IGT shoot was forcefully stalled :( n then was a tough drive home! Why the demand for respect?

i dont understand how this party has so much control over mumbai and make people live under their fear.
    someones wedding got forcefully stalled too! imagine that.

nika says thanks.
  7. Ladyinred

Ladyinred Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Is it a forced mourning managed by this nationalist party? I thought India is an democratic country...

nika says thanks.
  8. Prerna Dewan

Prerna Dewan Well-Known Member

:/ We all thought the same too. :ohwell:
    He was an extremist and a divisive politician, and has practiced very parochial and chauvinistic politics. He had been unwell for quite some time and I was praying he won't die soon..not because any of us want him alive (sorry if this is too mean), but because this may even lead to riots in the city. Ugh. Thankfully, no riots so far, but the whole city's become a ghost town, from what I hear in news reports.
    By the way, his political party is the same one which is responsible for the stopping of the screening of My Name Is Khan. The goons of the party had even caused a lot of violence in the city..It's just disgusting.

Mara and Ladyinred thank this.
  9. Ladyinred

Ladyinred Well-Known Member

I remember those incidents. I've read much about it while it was the premiere of "MNIK". I know more about Shiv Sena than I want to know. I think extremist parties and politics are very dangerous - in every country.
    I pray for Mumbai and its people.

10. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

Shah Rukh tweeted that about this man: "We avoıd buıldıng brıdges out of personal ıssues & then ıt gets too late.ı should hav gone & met BalaSahıb.Wıll mıss our chats R.I.P. sır..."
    how sensitive is him... it must be so difficult to be such sincerly respectful with someone with whom there were problems... he's really great

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  11. srkjuhi

It is bizzare to see so many people coming out of the woodwork to suddenly gush about him on news channels. I condole his death but I seriously don't get the gushing. His brand of politics was divisive to put it mildly. His followers who want to pay their respect to him are free to do so as it is a free country but others shouldn't be bullied into closing their shops etc. Most people are just doing it out of sheer fear I think.

P.S. Can Shobha De stop being on every freaking news channel? Ugh! Can't stand her!

ASLH and Prerna Dewan thank this.
  12. Prerna Dewan

I find it bizarre too-seeing so many people deifying him in his death as if he was some hero! It is sickening.

ASLH, Mara and RizwanaShahrukh thank this.
  13. sami16

sami16 a fan not a fanboy

surprised to see SRK tweet about the guy...he had a valid issue with him during the MNIK saga, when you think about it the ideologies of him and Balasaheb are polar opposites....Balasaheb is a communalist, SRK is a secularist, Balasaheb stands for speech within restrictions, SRK stands for freedom of speech, Balasaheb stands for tranditionalism, SRK stands for modernisation.....good on him for letting bygones be bygones.

14. srkjuhi

He tweeted a few days too back and wished him well. His tweet is not all that surprising. He was never a supporter of his brand of politics but they shared a personal rapport which had nothing to do with politics. I think he even talked about that in the interview he did with Barkha Dutt at the time.

15. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

If they shared a personal rapport then why all the enmity around mnik's release time? (sorry, I know nothing about it)

16. srkjuhi

^That is exactly what Shahrukh asked in the interview he did with Barkha Dutt. His party men obviously got an okay from him or his son to do what they did so I don't have an answer to that question. As long as something furthers their political agenda I guess they would stop at nothing even when it involves someone who they had a personal rapport with. Shahrukh was just an easy target at the end of the day. It gave them the oppurtunity to stay in the headlines for a few days.

17. Prerna Dewan

Found this from the time of the release of MNIK. This is where his equation with Bal Thackeray stands - they differ on ideologies, but had a good personal rapport..

18. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

Im tired of there always being some issue when a SRK film releases :pout:

Why cant we have a smooth release???? :rant: I cant even remember the last "no-issue" release

By the way I thought India was a democratic country... why did the cinemas and shops close? Surely there are people there that RELY on their daily business income for a living :confused2:

19. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

Yes, but they also fear not having a business to come back to if they defy these thugs and stay open. The police aren't gonna be protecting them because many of the force are Sena supporters. It's a bad situation all the way around. Honestly these guys remind me of gangstas, demanding that you show them respect while showing you their gun. The confuse fear for respect, and vice-versa. It's sad.

phul, Mara and Prerna Dewan thank this.
  20. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

It's actually real :eek: Sounds like movie Sarkar

I still find it strange that the President allows such "bullying".... Cannot imagine that here, at home...