1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on this movie. and some questions.

Discussion in 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' started by rubyroo, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

What is the name of the song that Raj whistles and plays on the mandolin? I was looking for it on iTunes and couldn't find it.

I just watched part of the beginning again. Raj really is annoying at first, but you can see his character develop as he starts to care about Simran. I love his "prayer" in the little church. This is the first point in the movie where I really see him oozing with charm. And it is at a time when he is thinking of her instead of himself.

The exchange where Simran tells him she is betrothed I believe shows the amazing talent of SRK. How he looks so sad when she tells him, but when she looks over at him, he instantly changes back into the unserious joking guy.

One of the greatest charms of this movie is the relationship between Raj and his Pops. Even though he seems like such a shallow person at the beginning, his love for his dad pre shadows the person he will become in loving Simran.

I recognized immediately that the piano playing scene was lifted from the movie Green Card. I do believe this can be pulled off if the new scene is better than the original. And I believe it was successful here. Raj's initial performance was more over the top- even playing with his feet and much more comedic. You could almost see right away that he was doing it for a joke. Then when he played for real, he looked and sounded so good. In Green Card I was left wondering if the guy even could actually play- he just played some chords not a song. Another thing is the actor in Green Card had zero charm. Au contrair, SRK of course! The biggest plus in the DDLJ version is that at the end it goes directly into a song and dance. Pure entertainment.

2. rubyroo

I do not like Simran's dad. He has angry eyes.

MaryAnnK and Jasmine thank this.
  3. shesum79

shesum79 Member

I had a question- was it just me or did raj become more handsome after he fell in love? He was a immature jerk in the first half but he turned into a gentleman in the second half. He was still mean to Simran sometimes in the second half but he was still there for her when she needed him the most.

Jasmine, MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  4. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Actor was Gerard Depardieu, who is a fabulous actor. Green Card was not his type of movie though, so maybe that's why you felt it fell flat. Couldn't possibly compare him the srk however, they are totally different.

... wow, did I just defend another actor? I'd better go check my temperature.:sick:

Jasmine and MaryAnnK thank this.
  5. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

I think it's our perception of people...people actually look physically better to me when they are kind as opposed to rude and I noticed the same in films, when someone has a negative role, I don't like their look so much, but when they become good, I suddenly start to see beauty in them...of course, Shah Rukh is an exception being that he's always beautiful!:p

Jasmine and Anjali72 thank this.
  6. rubyroo

I shouldn't be criticizing Depardieu since Green Card is the only movie I have seen him in. Judging by Green Card however, (a movie I actually liked, BTW) he really is not romantic lead material while SRK was born for it.

Ah the handsomeness of SRK! There is something so piquant about a guy with his faulty profile being one of the biggest heart throbs in the world. What is it about him? Maybe it's partly because of his dimples and it's got to help that he possesses just about the most beautiful pair of eyes on the planet. To me it never matters how he is behaving but just his expressions and mannerisms that make him so charming at all times. I have yet to see any of his movies in which he plays the villain, but from what I have read, he can even get people rooting for the bad guy when it is him.

As for his being mean to Simran, I think he was always giving tit for tat. He liked her from the start and she didn't reciprocate and fall for his charm instantly like he expected. Therefore, he used the same lines about her eyes on her friend right in front of her, and payed her back for trying to expose him to ridicule in the piano playing scene. Simran actually was a bit spoiled and he always called her on it. (like when he she was ungrateful after he saved her from being arrested in Switzerland and when he brought her dinner in the stable and she refused to eat it.)

7. K

So true. The first time I saw him was at the age of six. I'd always been terrified of Hindi film villains, yet there I was, watching Deewana, Darr, Baazigar and Anjaam, like you said, rooting for him and wanting to see more of him. What I find so interesting is that even though I was only six, knew nothing about him and had never even read a single interview or article, I sensed a certain goodness in him...I saw beauty in him...the thought of him made me smile.:heart:

simran82, Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  8. rubyroo

Another thought about the movie. Watching it again I realized that the night when Simran got tipsy was when Raj proved he was truly worthy of her. This situation happens so often in real life. She was more fortunate than many other girls have been that nothing bad happened, and it was because Raj was just as pure hearted as she was. This highlights one of the reasons I love Hindi films. They show the best in people most of the time rather than the worst. Hollywood movies so often delight in doing just the opposite.

Jasmine says thanks.
  9. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

You are right Kalee, I have always found beauty in good people. I really think this is why SRK has so many fans. His beauty is not just skin deep, it goes all the way thru. That is why he has fans in every country, of every race, and religion. The man just shines, he is so beautiful.:heart:

10. K

I know many fans separate the actor from the person, but I don't think Shah Rukh's fans typically do, and while we don't "know" him, one of the things I love most about the way he treats people, especially women, on screen, is that it's real...it's the way he treats people in his everyday life. As Rubyroo said, many women aren't so lucky, but the reason I don't scoff with cynicism when Shah Rukh does those scenes isn't only because of the conviction of his performance, but because of its reality.:heart:

Jasmine, MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  11. shesum79

shesum79 Member

Thanks for your reply. I was referring to the scenes in the second half. He joked about leaving her in the deleted scene and he said he will happily leave if she doesn't love him as it would save from the 'everyday melodrama'. He also said to Simran's mother that Simran is his headache. I know it's very hard to get the approval of a father of a girl who is already engaged to be married very soon but Raj shouldn't do it if he is going to complain about it. Maybe Simran was asking too much of him at times e.g. asking him to break her fast and refusing to wear Kuljit's ring so she was a little uncooperative so I was guess its a little understandable if Raj gets annoyed.

Thanks for your reply. I actually thought it was very cruel of Raj to make Simran think she lost her virginity to a man she doesn't even know. I guess Raj made that joke to make Simran trust him.

12. rubyroo

Remember too how he said Simran was just like her dad. Also note that even though he protested, Raj accepted whatever Simran decided to do and just worked around it. He did not get his way with her. One thing I really didn't like about Simran's dad was that he was so self-centered in his views. He arranged the marriage just because it made him happy and he only thought of Simran as someone who made him happy or angry, made him look good or bad. Raj's dad was quite the opposite.

The joke about the "love bites" was definately cruel in its effect, but Raj did it only out of thoughtlessness. He was not accustomed to taking anything seriously. However the look on his face a few minutes later when Simran threw herself into his arms made up for it. What made Raj so appealing in spite of the idiotic things he sometimes did was that he learned and grew as a person throughout the movie without ever losing his playfulness. I loved the very end when he and his Pop and Simran were on the train rejoicing together. What a happy life those three were going to have together, no doubt to be joined Simran's sweet auntie too later on. There should have been a sequel...

maza, Jasmine and MaryAnnK thank this.
  13. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

this film was legacy at its best still oved by everyone and the songs aswell i was singing tujhe dekha to ..... when i was like 7 and still sing it its called an immortal masterpiece

maza, Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  14. rubyroo

its brought a lot of joy to a lot of people for sure.

maza and Jasmine thank this.
  15. Misty45

Misty45 Well-Known Member

How I envy people like you and Kalee who have known SRK since they were young. I've only 'known' him for about six months or so, and already it seems like a lifetime!
    That's apart from 10 years ago when I saw him in Asoka (as an ex-rental DVD). But I was still married then and couldn't indulge in my fantasies!!!
    My next film was KKHH and I fell in love all over again....
    DDLJ is still is top of my list:)

maza and Jasmine thank this.
  16. K

Better late than never!:hug::kiss: But yes, I do feel so unbelievably blessed and grateful to have had him in my life since the very beginning.:heart: And I'm so happy for you that now he's a part of your life too.:hug::heart:

Jasmine and Misty45 thank this.
  17. rubyroo

one nice thing for newbies like me, I have several of his movies I still get to see for the first time! Lots to look forward to.

Jasmine says thanks.
  18. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

You are right! I can still remember the excitement of waiting for the DVDs to come......I cannot explain it.......now I have seen every movie he has made and have to wait for new ones or re-watch the old ones. Discovering Shahrukh is a wonderful experience.

Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  19. rubyroo

I will be a bit sad when the day comes that I can't see an new SRK movie every week and I have to wait a whole year!

20. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Believe me it is hard!! But so worth the wait :p

Jasmine, MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.