1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

My Review - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Jab Harry Met Sejal Member Reviews' started by Rishima62, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Rishima62

Rishima62 Defying Gravity

I opend a new thread because my review includes some spoilers

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

This little write down only shows my opinion. I hope I do not sound to preachy.

First things first – for me JHMS is a pure gem. I am so deeply touched by the story, how it is told and the natural, wonderful, soulful, funny performances of both – Anushka and Shah Rukh.

Imtiaz Ali succeeds to transport this normal, real life story in so many nuances in a very poetic, calm way and in so many beautiful short moments. And he also thought of logical things like Harry speaking different languages and a nearly accent free English (as he lives as tour guide since years in Europe) as opposite of Sejal. Sejals moments when she recognized that deep in her sometime patronizing helping him (out of good intentions) lies that she is also helping herself and he is also.

Shah Rukh took it to another level again – not often we are blessed seeing him portraying a character so natural physical and weak and strong at the same time. Annoyed by himself and his life – but not openly complaining. Living a lie (that he is a cheap and superficial guy) and the moments he recognizes it are so gentle in the beginning.

Anushka is brilliant – she is a natural – in everything. And she really is such a fantastic congenial partner to Shah Rukh – I love it. Sejal is not an easy character to play – at least that is what I think. I believed her this Sejal in every single moment. And so I did believe Shah Rukh Harry in every single moment.

The movie has beautiful music. On one hand there could have been lesser songs on the other hand I wouldn’t want to miss one of the songs because they are all so beautiful.

I really can’t understand the critics and some fans. The movie goes deeper than a RomCom without being in your face. Maybe this is the problem – many cannot read between lines and have unlearnt the ability of being emphatic. And I am not saying that everyone has to like – not at all – but the things I read do mostly have nothing to do with not liking more with not understanding it. Anyway – I loved it and I will watch it again – hopefully more than one time again. I saw it three times until today.

And not to forget - the movie has many very funny but not stupid-funny scences.

Tash, Mara, nancy and 3 others thanked this.
  2. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Lovely to read your review. Thanks @Rishima62 :)

Rishima62 says thanks.
  3. Rishima62

Thank you so much - there are so many things I fogot - at least I think so.

4. ashi2

ashi2 in love.......

ohh i watched it 4 times untill today. this like after many year i am doing this for his movie just could not get over it.
    and its really disappointing that most of the people not only getting it that how beautiful it is actually:oops:

5. Rishima62

I just have to add this - the German subs are so annoyingly bad - unbelievable. Like a very bad online translation. Many things are actually left out (like they only translated things they thought are neccessary), even the English part are bad (not that I need them). And still the movie works - just a prove for me how good it is directed and how brilliant it is played by Anushka and Shah Rukh - all actors actually.

One funny note - someone should have told Anushka how Rijksmuseum is pronounced - I was like huh wtf? LOLOLOLOL

6. ashi2

ashi2 in love.......

hmm Rembrandt "night watch" behind them hope i could visit someday...

7. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

This is a very entertaining and educational movie that every parent should take their sons and daughters to so they will be aware of the dangers of a predatory sexual addict. Every woman is hit upon by a man like this at least once in her life and it’s very brave of Shah Rukh to take on this negative a role. Shah Rukh skillfully plays a man suffering from sexual addiction in an alien and often criminal Western culture, cut off from his emotional roots in India. Anushka is equally superficial and wounded, preparing to marry a man because they “look good together”. She is the perfect “anima woman”, changing herself completely to reflect back to the man of the moment whatever he wants to psychologically project upon her. She also is soulless and completely cut off from who she is within as a person. She’ll play his “Radha” briefly, then move on to the next guy ignorant enough to fall for her lure. What man has not had his heart broken by a woman like that? She callously uses and manipulates an angry and resisting Harry as they search for her lost engagement ring across the backdrop of Europe. Together they have one exciting adventure after another as their respect and feelings for each other slowly grow and mature, healing the emptiness of their lives. It’s the DDLJ of our times. The negative reviews were completely wrong.

8. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Interesting take on it @Mara, and spot on in a lot of ways. I was really disturbed by Sejal's character but you have put a valid spin on it. My question to the film-maker is whether this was thought out deliberately or just happened. The marketing suggested a regular rom-com, though the director is known to be a bit more cerebral than that.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Rishima62 says thanks.
  9. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Yet another movie of SRK that flopped..and this time I can't really blame people. This was a really lackluster movie. Barely any story, SRK looks bored and has zero chemistry with Anushka, the movie is a chore to watch.

I hope SRK can bounce back with Zero, this decade has been shitty for him. Often unjustified (Raees was great and deserved to be a Blockbuster, Fan was also underrated) but he also made some questionable movies like Ra One, dilwale and now this