1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

My OSO Review

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews - Members' started by filmifan, Nov 12, 2007.

1. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

Farah, oh how I love thee and your masti-filled masala mindset; thank you for making OSO! This film has been one of the most enjoyable theater experiences I’ve ever had; I’ve watched it twice already.

Plot: definitely a rollercoaster ride. There are so many jokes and loving homages to Indian cinema—the Rajnikanth/Quick Gun Murugan and Filmfare skits (among others) had me crying from laughing so hard. But Farah and SRK also temper the film with heart. OSO references the difficulty of entering the film industry, the seedier side of film financing, lecherous producers, and the morally gray actions that PR-minded star secretary’s commit. Even the Filmfare spoofs are funny on one level, but also take a pointed stab at film sequels and ‘inspired’ plots which are really blatant copies. OSO reminds us that behind all the filmi glamour, stars are just human beings who still have to deal with common struggles like relationships and juggling success with happiness.

Not to mention the parts of Shah Rukh himself which are included in this movie—I gasped during the scene where
    Om Prakesh declares he’s going to one day own that dream bungalow, much as SRK did when he landed in Mumbai.

OSO begins with an iconic Karz number, letting you immediately know what period of time you’ve just landed in. One—thank you, Farah, for allowing me to see Rishi in his prime on the big screen. Two—thank you for making it possible for me to have my favorite singer (Kishore Kumar) doing playback for my favorite actor (SRK).

Throughout the 70s homage of the first half, we have foreshadowing of the reincarnation to come, but don’t think you know completely where the story is going because the movie—in switching from one film influence to another—saves some surprises for the second half (some more clues to which I recognized on my second viewing). The bittersweet ending—
    with the unconventional lack of a romantic ‘happys ending’
    —was surprisingly satisfying. There aren’t many Hindi films (that I’ve seen) that have touched on the macabre genre, but OSO has it in spades—
    a murdered spouse buried alive beneath the floor, her soul trapped in that film set (hence Shanti not reincarnating as well) waiting for the chance to get her revenge; the grand film-within-a-film movie set; the operatic Dastaan-e-Om; Sandy’s impersonations of Shanti; Om’s first flashback, which made me jump in my seat. But I found it fitting that Shanti’s heart did not belong to Om in his first life, so neither should it in the next.

The songs: OSO was my favorite soundtrack of the year already due to its cohesiveness as an album and the epic, musical theater mood it evoked. Dastaan-e-Om, in particular, blew me away and gave me my own flashbacks of myself as a teenager, when I wore out my Phantom of the Opera cassette tape. I wondered if this was Farah being influenced by her work with Andrew Lloyd Webber on Bombay Dreams. Well, seeing it onscreen didn’t disappoint; besides looking back to the similar musical-within-a-film in Karz, the costumes, the narrative lyrics, and Shah Rukh looking like he could walk right off set onto a Broadway or West End stage created a grand atmosphere. Moving on, Dhoom Tana is a blast—the badminton swings being in rhythm with the repeated block sounds; the digital effects which allow Deepika to take part in the classics (special kudos to Red Chillies VFX here); seeing Shah Rukh live it up in various avatars of the past. Ajab Si and Jag Soona give you the reality behind how these filmi fantasies are made. Seeing all the star cameos in Deewangi Deewangi is a treat (although my husband is mad that Johnny Lever wasn’t included ;)). And oh my, Dard-e-Disco geniusly straddles the fence between cheese and titillation—when SRK licks his thumb and runs it between his pecs, i both cringe and ovulate.

Performances: Shah Rukh and Deepika deserve a lot of credit for making their characters distinctive in each half. SRK excels in this respect in his double roles. Whether Deepika got some pointers from him, or she shares this talent as well—she has a fantastic Hindi film debut as the poised, disenchanted superstar, Shanti, and the goofy, star-struck fan, Sandy. Deepika has the chops for physical comedy, standard heroine parts, and thriller roles. I was really impressed with the creepy gothic vibe she had to portray in parts, largely due to those gorgeous, expressive eyes of hers. Shreyas is such a versatile actor and has great chemistry with Shah Rukh. It's another example of how well Shah Rukh riffs with other male actors (like with Saif in KHNH); Shah Rukh, please do more comedic roles! Kirron—wow—her OTT filmi dialogues with Om had me rolling. She seemed to relish this role, which adds to the fun. And speaking of relishing a role, it felt like Arjun and Shah Rukh picked up from their fight scene in Don while going head-to-head in their shared scenes.

Coming back to Shah Rukh, what a treat to see him in roles like this and Kabir Khan within the same year. Anyone who thinks he plays the same roles repeatedly (or that he plays himself all the time) is flat-out nuts. He OWNED the screen during Dastaan-e-Om, had me all verklempt during the heartbreaking moments, and both audiences i saw the film with were in stitches during the comedic parts. One hilarious scene in particular also proves that SRK definitely has more than five expressions.

But quite appropriately, Farah gets the last laugh of the film.

Bottom line: go watch this film! i challenge you to try not using 'Mind It!' repeatedly in your conversations afterward. :D

2. dilos

dilos Well-Known Member

almost everybody loves the film..so good to hear..thanks for the review joelette ..

3. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

OMG!!:pound::p

Lol, seriously yaar! I haven't even seen the film, but just from having heard that dialogue online I've been thinking Miiind it in my head all the time!:p

Thanks for the great review!!:)

4. Mazerq_j

Mazerq_j Well-Known Member

i alwyas look forward to read your review joelette i love the way you express your thought and yourself :)

thanx
    yenna rascala..mind it!!!

5. clochette

clochette New Member

I enjoyed your review a lot, Joelette. After having seen the film by now three times on big screen I can relish what you are writing. I agree to all and could add more and more and more... this film is just a huge treasure box!!!!

6. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

great review Joelette, thank you. you always make me laugh at your comments, very SRKish:p (similar humour)

7. Ramoneh

Ramoneh I Love You ShahRukh

Kalee your killing me.....I cant wait for you to watch OSO!!!!

I can't imagine what you are going through..reading about everybody's reviews and opinion's....That would drive me :crazy:

Can't wait to read your review Kalee :D Hope its soon ;)

8. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

What a great review Joelette. You've picked up on so many themes and written about it so brilliantly. Some of this should really be teased out more - lots to talk about.

Most of all, thank you for reminding me of that magic moment when he runs his thumb down his chest . I hadn't thought about that for ...oh...at least 5 minutes!!! LOL

9. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

ohhh, if you gals only knew how much i've talked about 'the thumb moment.' i had a coworker cracking up over it; i'm hoping to get her to go see the movie.

10. Basma

Basma Active Member

that's a good enough reason to go watch the movie again and again. now that you've mentioned it I can't keep the image out of my head :crazy:

11. clochette

clochette New Member

His thumb... it's perhaps only ShahRukh who can do such an act where so different thoughts are merged: doing a (very) sexy gesture enjoying his body and exploiting it and making ladies and girls do 'uuuhhhhh' and shift in their seats, being self-ironic about exactly the same, showing the vanity of the star-actor he plays, expressing the erotic nature of an item song and deliver to the audience... and all this being a genuinely shy person!

12. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

... which can all be summed up in three little letters - h...o...t! :D

13. clochette

clochette New Member

Oh, Chris, even one letter would be sufficient - it all depends on the sound, the length and the vibration you are doing. But, you know, for me it's also the 'kind of', the 'way how', the 'reason why' that makes me relish something double and thrice... (big grin)

14. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

your review is good thanks for sharing it now i need to watch the movie aswell